VMware SRM Review

The solution allows organizations to have a solid business continuity plan but some research needed for configuration

What is most valuable?

Integrated replication / recovery plan ease of use and creation.

Running Production out of DR site

How has it helped my organization?

This product allows organizations to have a solid BC business continuity plan in place in case of disaster. By running regularly scheduled simulated test fail overs a business can realistically plan accordingly and customize their DR strategy.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps the array replication or vm guest customization features. Perhaps more features are needed to allow

For recovering VMs in situations where replication on production site has been paused for (ie: 1 week or more)

4 years.

Deployment is fairly straight forward but it still requires a good amount of VMware experience on the architecture side to properly deploy and scale.

No issues. Product is fairly stable.

No issues. This product scales according to licenses purchased.

SRM 5.8 scales very well as compared to v5.5

VMware customer service is great.

VMware technical support really delivers.

Previously used Netbackup and Avamar.

Initial setup is straight-forward but you need to really do some research on prerequisite environment config needed for this product to work as developed.

It was implemented in-house and on-site in customer environments.

100% ROI.

Other options evaluated were EMC Avamar and Symantec Netbackup.

What other advice do I have?

You should aspire to be really well versed on supporting this product you need to have in-house engineers that are well rounded in the networking, storage and operational aspects of vSphere/vCenter/SRM. I would recommend getting hands-on training through a VMware a Partner before implementing this product in your environment.