VMware SRM Overview

VMware SRM is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Disaster Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: VMware SRM vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is VMware SRM?
VMware Site Recovery Manager is the industry-leading solution to enable application availability and mobility across sites in private cloud environments. Site Recovery Manager allows: Fast and reliable IT disaster recovery, simple and policy-based management, zero-downtime application mobility, and up to 50% lower TCO.

VMware SRM is also known as VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager.

VMware SRM Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware SRM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

VMware SRM Customers
Acorda Therapeutics, Columbia Sportswear, Mainfreight, Nippon Express, Sin Chew Media, Fisher & Paykel, Siam City Bank
VMware SRM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware SRM pricing:
  • "It is about $3,000 a year for the 25 pack. The package gives you the ability to protect up to 25 virtual machines."
  • "The cost of SRM is on par with market rates."
  • "The licensing costs are increasing."
  • "The price of this solution is on the expensive side."
  • "The cost of SRM is a little bit high, especially for smaller companies."

MB
reviewer1217421
Enterprise Architect at a consumer goods company with 11-50 employees
Jan 31, 2020
Enables us to get a lot of server images successfully but it has connectivity issues with auto-recovery

What is our primary use case?

We are in technology and services but we also do enterprise architecture and strategic planning. We always work on the customer side, but we work very closely together with key partners and key vendors in the industry. This includes VMware, but other vendors as well. We realize solutions on the customer's behalf and we are also always solution-oriented and committed to delivering what the client needs. That is why we work intensively and closely with vendors like VMware. With VMware SRM, we had a technical account manager before coming on with them and level three support all on standby just… more »

• "The product is evolving and the vendor is committed to change."
  • "There are many functionality problems with the product currently. It is also slow and unstable."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate VMware SRM as about a five. I am not open to giving a positive recommendation as the product stands. It is a little generous to give it a five considering all the issues. This review focuses a lot on the weaknesses of the product. But we were actually able to use the solution to get quite a lot of server images successfully, especially if the servers were relatively small, like a parasitic thermal server or an ordinary file server. That type of project went fine. So, if your use case is entry-level, beginning…
ChukwuemekaOnyemelukwe
Infrastructure Administrator - Server, Storage & Virtualization at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jan 16, 2020
Has the ability to schedule, write and configure the recovery and scheduled steps

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for our client. It's a system integrator frame. I have clients for whom we manage their data centers. Or, we do their integration and implementation. Basically, we use it to replicate their virtual machines, their user site, and their company site, and maybe to configure it and schedule their recovery. We use it for doing recovery tests from time to time, quarterly or yearly, for some of our clients. To test for a situation whereby a danger or a disaster could be affecting their data that is being replicated. This is good to do. Periodically, we run those tests and recover… more »

• "Its capability to schedule, write and configure the recovery and scheduled steps, such that you don't have to come in and start manually trying to recover the entire machine. You just push a button to recover the VMware and everything is done."
  • "What I think can be improved is the data replication aspect."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people considering this solution is that they should just go ahead and get it. I think that is the best virtualization solution out there. Some people say Nutanix is better. I think VMware is the best. I would also advise making sure your virtual environment is well taken care of. I don't think there are any other challenges that you're going to have. It's necessary that when you see it side by side, to have an operations manager help you find problematic areas and possible issues you are going to encounter in the future. On a scale of 1 - 10, I give it a 9.
Learn what your peers think about VMware SRM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
475,291 professionals have used our research since 2012.
OmidKoushki
Network Specialist at KIAN company
Feb 9, 2021
Good replication and integration capabilities with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We have implemented SRM to replicate around the 800 virtual machines to the data recovery files. Due to the fact that we implemented to data centers as well as the primary and secondary data center, we use SRM to replicate around most of the virtual machines in order to be the secondary site.

• "The solution is very flexible."
  • "The biggest issue for us is that this product does not have any demo for customers."

What other advice do I have?

We are using two product versions. We are using product versions 6.0 and 6.5. We need to use only on-premises deployment models. This due to the fact that there are sanctions in my country. We cannot use the cloud services directly as there is no support. For customers who are using VMware infrastructure, I recommend using VMware SRM due to the fact that it has the ability to integrate with other products like HP, SRA, or even CSRA. It has good features that integrate well with a storage concept. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
RA
reviewer1271802
Operations Engineer at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Sep 30, 2020
Disaster recovery that works quickly, is stable, and has excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

VMware SRM is used for our disaster recovery site, which is an on-premises colo (Colocation) facility. The general use case is for disaster recovery for three of our applications those being imaging, payroll, and real estate.

• "The installation and initial setup are straightforward."
  • "VMware's tech support gets a nine-out-of-ten. They are responsive and get you a useful reply."
  • "The stability of SRM has been excellent. It gets a nine-out-of-ten."
  • "The version we are currently using is not the latest and greatest but it has buggy behavior in some browsers."

What other advice do I have?

From what I have seen, a lot of these new hyper-converged systems come with certain components that do a lot of what SRM does. My opinion and advice to people considering SRM would be to look to your hardware vendor or consultant. They may have some replication pieces in there that allow you to possibly not use SRM or go ahead and stay with what you already have. Depending on your situation, different combinations might prove more beneficial either within the architecture or by cost-benefit. There are a lot of options out there now for disc replication and bringing machines up at other…
Toby Sloan
Director Of Service Delivery at Kinetic IT
Sep 29, 2020
A good solution for those with a VMware footprint

What is our primary use case?

We vetted out that data center a number of years ago. We were told SRM would improve our footprint within the data center and that was attractive to us at the time so we went with it. We are using VMware SRM but we are also currently looking into alternatives that could replicate the benefits that SRM currently provides for our on-premises installation. Once we are in the cloud, we are looking at whether or not we need dual availability zones. We also are looking at what functionality we could get from not having to change RPs (Recovery Point) as we do now with SRM.

• "This SRM solution can improve your footprint within a data center."
  • "The product functionality is fairly high-quality."
  • "This product is not appropriate for those moving to a broader cloud footprint."
  • "The technical support is not very good and needs to make an effort to improve."

What other advice do I have?

I personally will not continue using the VMware SRM solution. That is not a question of what is best. Our position moving forward is that we will not be having a footprint in the VMware space. If someone had the ability to focus on lots of things with using VMware in the cloud then there no issues at all with the product and this is a good solution for that purpose. The product functionality is fairly high-quality. Our decision is more based around the direction that we are taking. We will be cloud-based and we will be using AWS predominantly as our cloud-provider solution. On a scale from one…
DC
reviewer1315926
Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Apr 2, 2020
Good disaster recovery and testing capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. The primary use is for disaster recovery. The customer has a principal data center where they have their production site and they use this solution to replicate it to a secondary site. In the event of a disaster, they have a full backup, which is the best use that I have seen.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the disaster recovery and testing.

What needs improvement?

The interface is not easy to use and can be made more user-friendly.

I have been using VMware SRM for two years.

This is a stable solution. However, we have used older…
Mourad Koudir
Consultant-Instructor at Flexdata
Apr 12, 2020
User-friendly, simple to use, and it can be used with storage arrays from any vendor

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator in Morocco and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. Our customers use VMware SRM to replicate sites for the purpose of disaster recovery. SRM is a recovery manager and we combine it with NetApp to provide recovery solutions.

• "The most valuable feature is the simplicity of operations."
  • "The two vCenters have to be synchronized, which sometimes gives us problems because Keberos does not tolerate more than five minutes in time difference."

What other advice do I have?

In the past, with version 6.0, there were two versions of SRM. There was a version for Windows as well as an appliance. However, all of our customers are now moving to the appliance. I recommend using this product because it integrates well with replication technology from any vendor using the SRA. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Don Hwata
Senior Systems Engineer Regional Support at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Aug 26, 2020
Good automation with seamless failover saves us time, but it needs better granularity when used with array based replication software.

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. VMware is being used for disaster recovery to protect two sites.

• "The most valuable feature is the automation, where you press a button and everything fails over seamlessly."
  • "You cannot use VMware SRM in conjunction with storage replication software."

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a mature product that works very well. It is easy to set up. I like the fact that it has a bubble test feature that allows you to test your configurations without actually failing over. However SRM is very pricy. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
See 4 more VMware SRM Reviews