VMware SRM Review

Easily create test environments with the SRM test functionality but auto guest customizations through a GUI is missing

What is most valuable?

The automatic activation of the storage volumes and bringing up all VM’s. The recovery plans and resource mapping are good features.

With the resource mapping we can use different networks to bring up our VM’s

How has it helped my organization?

We can easily create a test environment with the SRM testing functionality, also in combination with EMC recoverpoint we can start up a virtual machine to a given point in time.

What needs improvement?

Automatic guest customizations through a GUI is a missing feature. Also the new version of SRM is web-only and is not that stable as the old client version.

We had couple of times that the web interface crashed and needed to restart the services.

7 years.

No issues encountered.

No, but the new web client is sometime ‘buggy.'

No issues encountered.

We needed to use customer service a couple of times while upgrading versions but all went fine.

8/10

No previous solution used.

It wasn't complex.

We used a vendor team and their expertise was good.

This product makes it easy for us to have a managed DR. Also the point in time functionality to bring up vm’s is a cost-saving method for us during the upgrade / testing period.

No other options evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Read and follow the admin guide, otherwise when you miss a step you can search long time. Also use the correct storage adapter of your storage vendor.