VMware SRM Review

Good disaster recovery and testing capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

The primary use is for disaster recovery. The customer has a principal data center where they have their production site and they use this solution to replicate it to a secondary site. In the event of a disaster, they have a full backup, which is the best use that I have seen.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the disaster recovery and testing.

What needs improvement?

The interface is not easy to use and can be made more user-friendly.

I have been using VMware SRM for two years.

This is a stable solution. However, we have used older versions and have seen some problems. I would say that the current version is stable.

This solution is not used frequently because it is only in the event of disaster recovery or testing. The recovery portion is not intended for daily use.

It is difficult to judge scalability because I would have to understand the intent. It is not a scale-out solution. It is for site recovery.

Our customers for VMware SRM are medium to large-sized companies.

I have not recently been in touch with technical support. In the past, I have found that they solve problems on time, although it depends on the support contract that the customer has.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on the customer requirements and their environment. It can be simple, although it can be really complex when they have two or more DR sites.

The length of time for deployment can be three or four days. It depends on the sites that have to be configured.

There is not a great deal of maintenance that is required. However, it does need to be updated and the disaster recovery plan regularly tested.

Maintenance might be done by the customer, the vendor, or even a third-party partner if it calls for it.

The price of this solution is on the expensive side. Also, not everything is included in the license.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to know well what they want from this solution. It is a complex project, not in the installation, but in creating the disaster recovery plan.

8.3
More VMware SRM reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with Zerto
Learn what your peers think about VMware SRM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.