VMware SRM Review

User-friendly, simple to use, and it can be used with storage arrays from any vendor

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator in Morocco and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. Our customers use VMware SRM to replicate sites for the purpose of disaster recovery. SRM is a recovery manager and we combine it with NetApp to provide recovery solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the simplicity of operations. You have two main buttons, where one is red and one is green. The red button is used for real disaster recovery and the green button is used if you want to simulate it.

The interface is user-friendly.

The storage replication adapter (SRA) is quite good because it allows SRM to work with storage arrays from any vendor.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a detailed history of the events for each site because I have found difficulty with that. The two vCenters have to be synchronized, which sometimes gives us problems because Keberos does not tolerate more than five minutes in time difference.

I have been dealing with VMware SRM since 2009.

The recovery point (RPO) is set to 24 hours, which means that this is being used daily. Our backup happens at 8:00 pm every night.

VMware SRM is scalable.

Most of our clients are in Morocco, and 80% of them are bigger companies with a lot of users.

Technical support from VMware is good and I would rate them an eight out of ten.

The initial setup is definitely simple.

The last project that I worked on took two weeks to deploy. This included installing NetApp, vCenter, ESXi, and the initial application.

We have an in-house team that includes me and two other people. We also do maintenance for some of our clients.

What other advice do I have?

In the past, with version 6.0, there were two versions of SRM. There was a version for Windows as well as an appliance. However, all of our customers are now moving to the appliance.

I recommend using this product because it integrates well with replication technology from any vendor using the SRA.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

4.0
More VMware SRM reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with Zerto
Learn what your peers think about VMware SRM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,763 professionals have used our research since 2012.