VMware vSphere Review

Great product with great feature set (edition license). Manageability, scalabilty, transportation and low footprint.

What is most valuable?

This really depends on the customers requirements. Manageability, transportation and low footprint (and thus higher consolidation ratio) are ones that are often referred to by customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Central management, easy deployment, easy management. This simplifies IT management processes and cuts on project costs and power/data center costs.

What needs improvement?

Licensing cost together with SA.

Since ESXi version 3.

None.

Depending on guest OS, there are some issues with controller type/driver versions.

None, if you have the resources you can easily scale out (or up)/down depending on your scalability requirements. Autodeploy, host profiles and customizations are a great help here. Further vCOPS will give you valuable capacity management options.

Customer Service: Great.Technical Support: Excellent.

Straightforward, must have some knowledge though how to implement in the organizations required solution.

I do projects for customers.

Not at liberty to share.

Yes, XenServer and Hyper-V are often evaluated by customers.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be intimidated by all the possible functions and comparison reports out there. Look what is needed for your requirements and match to available editions. Also when looking into costs, take the whole into account (not just initial costs, but also consolidation ratios, managebilty and the returns you get from those.)
More VMware vSphere reviews from users
...who compared it with Hyper-V
3 Comments

author avatarit_user4401 (Developer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees)

Can you describe me, please, the issues you had with controller type/driver versions, and on which guest OS?

author avatarit_user2652 (Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees)
Top ReviewerVendor

Can we install Solaris as well now on latest versions of ESXi?

author avatarit_user10590 (IT Administrator at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees)

I have installed both Solaris 10 and 11 without any issues..