VMware vSphere Review

We've used it to move 80% of our servers to a virtual environment, but it lacks a good built-in backup feature.

What is most valuable?

• Storage VMotion
  • High Availability
  • Distributed Resource Scheduler

How has it helped my organization?

We started moving to a virtual environment using VMWare very early on, and now more than 80% of our servers are virtual. We had a big server farm before, and our data center was filled with servers, now all our servers fit in one rack. Also, on physical machines increasing resources is a very difficult task, requiring downtime, but with VMs, we can do it on the fly.

What needs improvement?

They should have a good built-in backup feature. Although there is a built-in feature already, it is called VMWare Data Protection, but it is not at all user friendly.

I've used it for more than six years.

It's very good.

It's very good.

No previous solution was used.

It was straightforward.

I did it myself.

It is very high.

Pricing is high as VMWare’s cost is always high.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good solution and it is stable.

More VMware vSphere reviews from users
...who compared it with Hyper-V
9 Comments

author avatarit_user297966 (Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees)

VMware is not a backup and recovery company. That is really a different discipline, and I think they are wisely leaving it to the specialists already in the market. For robust backup, look to one of the many commercial or opensource options.

author avatarit_user246474 (Systems Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees)

Not only what Andrew says, which is correct, but NO product includes a backup feature.. phones, MS Hyper-V, Windows, Linux.. nothing has a backup function built-in.. it's not part of ANY system inclusive.. Should be be a part of any solution given that backup is a pure preference.

author avatarit_user271026 (System Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees)

But they have a solution with in, but not efficient enough, it is bad, why don't they remove it from their product and let others take care of it, when you are doing something do it perfectly otherwise don't do.

author avatarit_user302112 (Senior Consultant IT Infrastructure at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees)

Well, VMWare at least allows taking snapshots of virtualized guests. This is not the same as performing backups, but it helps if you need something helpful fast.

In my eyes, the vendor VMWARE should create a decent backup solution - oh wait, they did!
It is called VMware vSphere Data Protection Advanced (VMware VDPA) and now part of vSphere.

Please correct me if I am wrong since I am not a VMWARE expert, just a user.

Snapshot and backup is totally different things, yes VMWare have backup module but it is not reliable at all.

OK again, Backup is NOT included, it's an ADD ON, it's only available for Entperrise Plus license and higher, so it's not available with every product of vSphere certainly not integrated. And if you say VDPA (formerly VDR) is a "decent" product you must not have much experience with backup solutions, its anything but decent or good. VMware attempt to garner more money from customers that have no idea what a GOOD backup product is supposed to be.

Backup is not included anymore than Windows media player is included with Windows you have to BUY it.. that's not an "inclusive" product. Included would be installed WITH the product install but it's not.

Also VM didn't "create" VDPA either they bought it.. and whoever made that decision shouldn't be allowed to make any more decisions of this nature, HORRIBLE implementation.

author avatarHieu Nghiem Ba

Finding a good backup solution is always difficult, VMware products is not an exception.

For virtual infrastructure Veeam is a good choice.

I didn't claim it is a good solution or that I used it, I just wrote that there is one.

> you must not have much experience with backup solutions
Interesting conclusion.

Actually, I write the backup solutions I need myself or I implement it using open source software and combining it with own code. This always works, but obviously requires much time.

When it comes down to backing up VMWare and KVM VMs, I used rdiff backup in the past. If the guest is running Linux, I use rsync in combination with some scripts and logic.