VMware vSphere Review

It's helped us improve our SSO functionality and there's the opportunity to scale with the Platform Services Controller.

What is most valuable?

• Bare metal Hypervisor
  • Management
  • Mobility of VMs
  • Distributed resource services - HA, DRS; Network and Storage

How has it helped my organization?

Hypervisor & Management in the new vCenter Server 6 with Platform Services Controller gives us a huge opportunity for scalability. It's also helped improve our SSO functionality with one click.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if they could have offer a straight/forward deployment of vCenter from an OVA, not from an ISO.

I've used vSphere for about 15 years, and vCOPS for two years.

No issues encountered.

I have not needed to contact them yet.

I have not needed to contact them yet.

I hadn't used a previous solution.

It was straightforward.

An in-house implementation was done. All the pre-production implementation tests were made on VMware Workstation 11. Regarding vCenter 6, it is a must to install the VMware OVF tool in order to find, and make, the needed settings in the appliance *.vmx , before starting it. Having in mind the vCenter appliance is intended for ESXi deployment, in the production environment it was straightforward.

The ROI is much better with the VSOM.

From the position of an enterprise partner of VMware, it is not really easy to convince the end-customers of the VSOM benefits, having in mind the price tag.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're an enterprise partner of VMware with CloudProvider solution competency.