VMware vSphere Review

It's increased our disaster recover abilities, although it could improve on the heterogeneous management of disparate hypervisors.

What is most valuable?

• Isolation/partitioning of the server hardware
  • Support for Latest windows and linux operating systems

How has it helped my organization?

• Reduction in hardware/software needs for datacenter
  • Elimination of specialized hardware to enable lights out data center
  • Improved utilization of purchased hardware (CPU and Memory)
  • Increased DR/BC capabilities
  • Removed hardware dependency
  • Work load portability (vmotion) between on premise – cloud
  • Burst to cloud capability

What needs improvement?

Heterogeneous management of disparate hypervisors.

I've been using it since VMware 2.5.

8.5-9/10

8.5-9/10

I have experience with Microsoft Hyper-V, but production has always been VMware

It's very straightforward for the hypervisor (ESXi/vSphere), but View (Desktop) is more complex, and needs extensive planning in an environment like ours with 15,000+ desktops.

Hybrid. We brought in expertise from the vendor and reseller during the initial setup, and I would strongly suggest consulting. Expertise for initial deployments as the focus of a corporation, is the not the deployment, but the running and extension of the environment. Architecture and design is critical and specialized, and we used external resources.

This is always an issue. The ROI is heavily laden with soft dollar savings on an existing environment. Look two to three years out and make this a strategic decision rather than a tactical one and the ROI will be realized.

Price/License – Free is not free. Review what capabilities you want to have v need to have and then select the appropriate license. With that said, “Good Enough” is a valid stance now. You do not need to get everything you want to make it successful.

More VMware vSphere reviews from users
...who compared it with Hyper-V
3 Comments

author avatarit_user246474 (Systems Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees)

>>Although It Could Improve On The Heterogeneous Management Of Disparate Hypervisors<<

Care to elaborate? I know its not perfect, but its way ahead of Hyper-V and Virt manager for KVM\XEN..

Elaborated on the management functionality, it's way ahead of Hyper-V or Virt manager for XEN\KVM, it's not a perfect solution but better than pretty much everything else.

author avatarit_user236505 (IT Director with 51-200 employees)

Heterogeneous Management could be done with vRealize Automation, but it's another piece of software (with it's own license)