VMware vSphere Review

vMotion helps with core banking operations and time-to-market, but I'd like to see self-discovery of assets.

Valuable Features

• vMotion helps with core banking operations and time-to-market
  • We define architecture tiering
  • Availabity is important
  • Lots of compliance requirements, so being able to maintain application and business continuity

Improvements to My Organization

It's helped bridge business requirements into infrastructure. Because of the cut down in provisioning time, we’ve proved that VMs are valuable as assets, and helps establish trust between business partners and IT department.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see the self-discovery of assets and integration of application profile into different assets. Also, the challenge we have is deploying an asset into a datacenter.

It’s very stable. Lots of fear in the past (“my application not a candidate for virtualization”), but we’ve proved them wrong.

It's very scalable, we have three core data centers and six to seven virtual data centers, and whenever possible, we consider VMs as first choice (can’t disclose numbers).

Some applications don’t perform well, so we engage our TAMs. The VMware engineering team works with TAMs.

Other Advice

Don’t hesitate, and go get it. From an architecture perspective, plan out a typical deployment, but you need to understand the business requirements and challenges, be able to define requirements, and make sure you choose the right-size server farm.