VMware vSphere Review

It enables us to run lots of servers with minimal hardware. However, the client interface is superior to the new web interface.

Valuable Features

• The cost, as we can run lots of servers on minimal hardware.
  • Easy to recover from failures. For example, to replace a memory card, just pull out blade and replace it.

Improvements to My Organization

• Smaller footprint
  • Ease of keeping uptime
  • Reliability

Room for Improvement

I like web interface less and less, and miss the client interface.

Licensing that makes it easier to justify getting the features I like, such as the enterprise feature where VMs auto balanced among hosts. This needs to be done by hand because that feature is too expensive.

Rock solid, just had one VM file decayed, but no other issues.

Use it very little, but can scale much more. Only have five or six blades, with 10-12 hosts, and 140 VMs.

They're good, friendly, and professional.

It was straightforward.

Other Solutions Considered

I had used it before at a former company two years ago, so decided to use it at my current employer, so I didn’t take the company through an evaluation process.

Other Advice

Make sure you have good SysAdmins who have experience with VMware, as this will save money.

1 Comment
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

If you have not tried the Web Client in Version 6 you should. This one is more on par with the fat client in navigation and speed. The more I use it the more I like it. Also it allows more editing features when you update the HW version of the VMs.

03 November 15