VMware vSphere Review

We have better security for development projects and are seeing easier backups, although I'd suggest a full automatic host server setup using DHCP and PXE without configuration scripts.

What is most valuable?

I find that the Virtual Center Management, iSCSI support, and VMotion hot migration are very beneficial.

With these features, we have faster server deployments, additional security for development projects, and easier backups.

How has it helped my organization?

The fact that we are having faster server deployments has improved our organization. We are also have better security for development projects and are seeing easier backups.

What needs improvement?

1. Native multi-platform management client (not WEB based) - Last improvements in this area are huge. However, some users prefer a native client. Please VMware, listen to your customers!
  2. A fully **automatic** and lightweight Virtual Center. Another time this has a huge improvement in last releases. However, a more automatic and simple deployment is required.
  3. Automatic on-demand Hypervisor setup for running some workloads on PC workstations at night. This function doesn't exist at time. We really like to see it!

We have used it for seven years.

We did have some issues, so I would suggest a full automatic host server setup using DHCP and PXE without configuration scripts.

No issues encountered. In fact, the system has been very stable.

No, not with dedicated servers. Yes with ephemeral servers- hundreds of PCs that we like to use as ESXi hosts at night for executing virtual machines focused on computing simulations.

No, we haven't used a previous solution.

The multi-path is very complex with iSCSI and non-existent with NFS.

We did it in-house.

Purchase only the cheaper solution with support. I don’t recommend high-end licenses.

• Hyper-V
  • Oracle VM

What other advice do I have?

Contract only experts or use an external consultant.

1 Comment
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

VMware is working on an HTML5 Web Client and currently has it as a Fling to try - https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vsphere-html5-web-client

It is by far complete but from what I have seen using it the speed is much greater than the Web Client in Version 6 and this was an extreme improvement over previous versions. I think this will be a good replacement to the fat client when 6.5 comes out.

01 April 16