VMware vSphere Review

It makes servers easier to manage and offers increased redundancy, although I think the product licensing should be simplified on a sliding scale.

Valuable Features

The 3D Graphics isn’t something I have used yet, but will be very nice for VDI environments. Also, the improvements in vMotion will bring on some major changes.

Improvements to My Organization

In general, VMware improves the way almost every business using it operates. Server virtualization cuts down on operating costs by a lot, makes servers easier to manage, and offers increased redundancy.

Room for Improvement

I think the product licensing is very confusing still and should be simplified on a sliding scale. i.e. one to three servers are essential for four to 10 standard, etc. Instead of licensing per core.

Use of Solution

I was using this product at home during the early testing phases and once released we rolled this out to a few of our customers.

No issues encountered.

In the early builds there were some stability issues, but that was resolved early on and is not an issue.

No issues encountered.

9/10.

10/10.

I have used Hyper-V, but it does not even come close to comparing to vSphere. There are plenty of features you cannot do easily in Hyper-V that vSphere makes a breeze.

Very straightforward. Just like moving to any other vSphere release.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house. We are a VMware partner so we set this up for our customers.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The licensing can be a little strange, since the per CPU licensing will hopefully be gone in the future. Just make sure to know exactly what you need to make sure you purchase exactly what you need. Also, it is pretty easy to use a licensing calculator.

Other Solutions Considered

No other options were looked at.

Other Advice

You should work with an existing VMware partner to deploy, but seek proper training or coursework for day to day management.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a VMware partner.