VMware vSphere Review

The most valuable features for us are HA, DRS, and SDRS.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are HA, DRS, and SDRS.

How has it helped my organization?

We have reduced our number of physical servers from 180 to 20, saving us cost and resources in our data center.

What needs improvement?

I'd suggest improvements in a couple of areas. First, the Web Client is too slow. Also, they need to improve vRealize Operations Manager.

I've used it for almost 2 years.

We were unsuccessful in a few setups, for example, installing on SD cards in some UCS blades. I think, though, that the problem was related to hardware and not to the setup process.

It’s very rare that the hypervisor has stability problems.

Only with big VMs -- over 64 GB of RAM or with disks over 2 TB -- are there scalability issues.

I've not got enough experience to comment on the level of customer service.

I’ve always received good service form technical support.

I’ve used different hypervisors and also previous versions of vSphere. I think that vSphere is the most complete and stable solution for enterprise customers.

Personally, I find the initial setup too simple, but I’ve worked several years on different versions.

I’ve implemented vSphere in my company and for several customers.

I think that in the past there have been some mistakes in the licensing policy. I hope that in the future it will be simpler.

We have migrated from the previous version without evaluating other products. For our development environment, we are evaluating whether or not to migrate to a product without license costs.

What other advice do I have?

For a customer who needs to have a stable infrastructure that's scalable, for very critical applications, I recommend vSphere without a doubt. I would also recommend that you request a VMware Partner to design and implement the solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My Company is a VMware Partner.