VMware vSphere Review

vCenter, SRM, and vSphere replication are not only the most valuable features for us, but they're the features we use the most right now.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features for us are vCenter, vSphere, vROPS, vRO, NSX, SRM and vSphere replication. They're not only the most valuable features for us, but they're the features that we use the most right now.

Improvements to My Organization:

From an organizational point of view, it allows us to give a lot of services to our customers. This is true of all VMware products that we purchase. We make sure that our business ultimately benefits from it.

Room for Improvement:

We have many versions of vSphere, but when it comes to the vSphere appliance, we don't have failover or a recovery point.

I also would like some added features to vSphere, such as Fault Tolerance with more CPU support. That would be really helpful to everyone, I think.

From a features perspective, with vSphere 6.0 and PSC being introduced as the new authentication module - you cannot use a PSC for a fresh 5.5 Install. I think we should have this feature enabled as this could help us in multiple instances.

Also, every would probably like to see a easy/recommendable way to  migrate from Windows vCenter to a appliance.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for seven years now.

Deployment Issues:

We haven't had issues with deploying it.

Stability Issues:

It's been consistently stable, and that has probably been the best feature -- its stability.

Scalability Issues:

Probably VMware should consider of lifting the maximum number of VM's per vCenter which is 15000 now(10000 powered ON and 5k powered off). The number has been consistent from a long time.

Also, VMware should raise the number when it comes to SRM/vREP.

Previous Solutions:

We didn't really evaluate other solutions, but we're aware that Hyper-V is out there. But we went with VMware because they've been in the market a long time and we trust them.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup is pretty straightforward and there's not really anything complex about it. I've been working on it for six years now, and it's easy for me.

Other Advice:

My advice would be to go for it. VMware has a wide range of products. Try them :)

1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Just so you are aware in Version 6 it supports 4 vCPU for FT now which we use to protect our VC servers. Also there is a fling out right now that can convert Windows to Appliance and I have heard this option is possibly coming in 6.5.

29 February 16
Virtualization Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employeesConsultant

@Chris, Yea I went through that fling.. I have my fingers crossed to have it officially supported. And with regards to 4 vCPU in FT(6.0), thats pretty too less config for dynamic environments. And that's the reason I was behind on supporting more vCPU's.

01 March 16