VMware vSphere Review

It provides the option to view performance with advanced real-time monitoring.

Valuable Features

• It provides the option to view performance with advanced real-time monitoring.
  • With it, it's very easy to create new virtual machines.
  • It also helps you upgrade your machines by making hot templates of them.

Improvements to My Organization

We have migrated several databases based on the Oracle VM solution to VMWare as we've seen a great difference between these two products.

Room for Improvement

The setup is complex even for experienced IT administrators who have worked with hypervisors, and it should be made a little easier.

Use of Solution

We've used it for one year.

It's a little complex, but we were able to do it. Other than that, we had no issues with deployment.

We had no issues with the stability.

We had no issues scaling it for our needs.

We previously used OVM but chose VMware to consolidate our architecture.

Our initial setup was quite complex because several machines where physical machines, others were OVM virtual machines, and others were VMware machines.

Implementation Team

We implemented it through an in-house team.

Other Advice

I would have preferred to implement vSphere straight away instead of OVM and then switching.

2 Comments
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Nice review. I think complexity depends on many factors like what hypervisor you are coming from, current server configurations, etc. VMWARE once set up though is solid and version 6 has come a long way.

26 April 16
KathyCReal UserTOP 20

VMware IS a very solid product and I agree with Chris that the complexity is defined by the current environment being brought to it. Although it increased the cost, we hired a 3rd party vendor to assist with the initial setup so we we left any questions regarding the design and implementation behind. Once set up, patches and upgrades have been done in house with ease. We are using 5.5 with plans in the pipeline to upgrade to 6 this year. Good review Marco - thanks!

29 April 16