VMware vSphere Review

HA, FT and DRS features support large scale servers and VMs.

What is most valuable?

Its compatibility with LUNs and its vMotion, HA, FT and VDS. It works very smooth with LUNs. When we talk about its Cluster feature, then the HA, FT, and DRS features are just great in how they support large scale servers and VMs without any trouble in the production environment.

VMware offers VDS switches which are very efficient and useful regarding network configuration in your virtual environment. The configuration should be the same on your cluster-joined ESXis to improve performance and when running a production environment or VMs on any ESXi.

These features are very good for us.

How has it helped my organization?

While using its HA feature, we don’t need to worry about usage of servers. Our VM automatically shifts to another server which has resources using vMotion. VDS provides its NIC which is available on all ESXis. You have to configure it one time at Center level and after that you don't need to worry about any ESXi configuration or its failure. When DRS or HT transfers your VM to another host, then that VM will get the same NIC via VDS.

What needs improvement?

When we talked about its Vmotion feature so we see we are able to move our Vms in running state from one host to another host within cluster and shared storage but we are unable to move VMs accros cluster and storage in running state so here is vsphere 5.5 suffer little bit.

I guess in vMotion it should have the ability to move VMs across clusters of vCenters and different type of CUPS.

We have been using this solution for many years.

We did not have any issue so far in stability.

We have had scalability issues; we have backup plans if ESXi crashes.

I would rate technical support 5/10.

We didn’t use anything previously. We chose VMware ESXi 5.5 over Hyper V due to its features.

It was complex because you have to prepare for every situation.

Its pricing is affordable for a small company as well.

We evaluated vMotion, HA, FT, and VDS.

What other advice do I have?

I advise you to review your needs and then look into the features. I am sure you will get solution of your needs.

3 visitors found this review helpful
3 Comments
author avatarChris Childerhose
TOP REVIEWERELITE SQUADReal User

Excellent review. All the features make it worth the investment especially the VDS switches. It will be interesting to see how Nutanix AHV takes off though.

author avatarEngineer at a tech services company

Yes, Vmware provide flexibility on hardware resources when it require.vmware is best among other virtulzation

author avatarJuan Dominguez
TOP 5LEADERBOARDConsultant

I have worked with Citrix XenServer, Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware. Out of these three hypervisor, VMware is still by far the most flexible, scalable and easy to manage system. VMware with vCenter server is hands down the most feature rich of the three. Great write up and thank you.