Wavefront by VMware Review

Simplifies troubleshooting by identifying trends from different data sources

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution mostly for logging analytics and to see where things break.

It is a cloud-based deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

We do not heavily rely on this solution at the moment.

What is most valuable?

This solution makes it a lot easier to figure out trends within very different data sources, which makes it easy to see why something is misbehaving. The ability to present disparate sources of metrics all together in a single dashboard. It makes it easy to find the root cause of whatever we are looking for.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more out-of-the-box dashboards for in-depth application monitoring of standard products that are out there. I would probably have more adoption of this solution in my own company's administrators if they didn't have to do anything.

Premade metrics has room for improvement. They have a lot now, and they have certainly grown over the time that we've done the trial by quite a bit. However, there is always room for improvement there.

I have been using this solution for eight months.

In the six months that I had an instance running for, I have never seen it go down. I would say that the stability is pretty good.

Being cloud-based, the scalability seems fine.

I've got forty hosts and thirteen-hundred virtual machines. It's really only monitoring the infrastructure.

I used technical support for the initial configuration very briefly. They are very good. It went pretty quickly.

We have instances of Splunk that are still in use.

We were not looking for a new solution. This was a short trial instance that was given to us and we really liked it.

A pro for Wavefront would be the in-built compatibility and metrics for specific programs. There are a lot of premade ones in Wavefront for VMware stuff. Also, the way the Operations Manager has the ability to push configurations and clients to applications that you might want to monitor. That is a good thing.

SNMP is a little difficult to get set up for both Splunk and Wavefront.

The initial setup of this solution was not complex, but I could have used a little more documentation at the time. It was not complete.

It took a couple of hours to set up, and the deployment itself was easy.

I deployed the solution myself.

We were given a year's worth of service. It was included within our ELA. We were trying to do a proof of concept, which is almost over now.

Educational pricing is available for this solution.

I believe that we are going with Splunk because we have more knowledge of it in-house. We have more people who are familiar and knowledgeable with Splunk than we do with Wavefront. I assume this is due to market adoption and length of time that Splunk has been in the market.

We went with proof of concept because it was offered as part of the ELA package. We didn't specifically look to replace Splunk.

What other advice do I have?

This solution's monitoring and visibility into public cloud platforms are on par with anything that is private.

The prebuilt dashboards are pretty good in terms of incident resolution. Clear and relevant information is presented, at least in the ones that I use, which revolve either around the vCenter or the ESXi host.

This solution has reduced our mean time to remediation, although we do not record the numbers so it is difficult to quantify.

We have used the chart and dashboard customization, and it's pretty much on par with everybody else in the general analytics field. It's a small learning curve but not that difficult.

In terms of using the solution and the learning curve, it takes a little while to read the documentation, but after that, it's pretty simple.

This is a solution that I recommend people try.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.