Aruba Switches Overview

Aruba Switches is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to Meraki MS Switches: Aruba Switches vs Meraki MS Switches

What is Aruba Switches?

Aruba switches bring performance and reliability to the mobile-first campus. These industry-leading switches are scalable, secure, and feature HPE Smart Rate multi-gigabit ports for high-speed connectivity.

Aruba Switches is also known as 8400 Series, 8320 Series, 5400R Series, 3810 Series, 2930M Series, 2930F Series, 2920 Series, 2540 Series, 2530 Series .

Aruba Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Aruba Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Aruba Switches Customers

Purdue University

Aruba Switches Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Aruba Switches pricing:
  • "The license is annual. If you purchase a switch, you get a one-year free subscription."
  • "The price point was a big consideration for us and it is reasonable enough that we're able to standardize on Aruba for the networking pieces in our organization."
  • "Comparing with Cisco, and some other solutions, it's a cheap product."
  • "I don't know the exact cost of the licensing, but based on what I have heard from my sales team, Aruba is affordable. Aruba switches are cheaper than the switches from Cisco and other vendors."

AmrIssa
Chief Information Officer at mobica
Good GUI, easy to configure and use, and offers a good transfer rate

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for access points. You can look at any site and take the static ID, or the real ID. It's similar to VPN. With the access point, you take the real ID and install it in the controller, you then access the site with this access point. We are interior designers and we have many showroom sites, we use the Aruba controller. We have twenty-five Aruba Switches with fifteen to twenty access points. We are using the 205 and 215 series. The bandwidth is 1gHz.

• "Aruba access points have a good transfer rate."
  • "They should provide training courses for certification, and have it available on the internet."

What other advice do I have?

We used and configured Tricom Switches. HP merged with Tricom and the company after that Aruba merged with HP. The switch became very different, it is good and has a different configuration. We have had a few problems in our company, we have had some conflicts in the configuration. Aruba was the first company to introduce access points, as far back as ten years ago. It's a good product, but it's not equal to Cisco. It's better. I compare it with Cisco and Aruba is a better switch. With Cisco, you buy the name, history, and global branding. If an engineer or any company ask me about network…
MW
CTO at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Integrates well with ClearPass, is stable and has excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for extra switches on campuses and consecutive exchange of existing access switches.

• "The solution's stability is really great. We found it very solid."
  • "The written documentation, all the available documentation, is often a little bit hard to find. The solution lacks documentation, especially on recent features. We have access directly to Aruba, Germany, so they are always helpful, but if you start, for instance, with something a little bit more complex like zero-touch provisioning, that would require a more comprehensive written piece."

What other advice do I have?

We've been implementing, with the help of Aruba, with zero-touch provisioning in a newly opened hospital. Roughly 450 switches have been put into operation using zero-touch provisioning (ZTP). It was challenging; even Aruba probably hadn't done such a large scale project before using ZTP. In terms of advice, I'd say if you are entering the next stage of switch hardware, of network hardware, just have a look at Aruba. It's really, really helpful having an open API to use Python or other script languages to modify configurations and to automate exchange of state changes with neighbouring…
Learn what your peers think about Aruba Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RG
Security & Infrastructure Architect at a consumer goods company with 51-200 employees
Reasonably-priced and easy to manage from a central location

What is our primary use case?

The 5400 series is a modular chassis-based switch and it allows us to buy parts for different needs, such as 10 gigs, or a one gig ethernet over copper for workstations. It's really our core switch and we actually have a couple of different models. That's in our headquarters, and then we have some other sites that use Aruba. I think they're the 2600 series or 2700 series, the smaller, modular ones, and stackable ones. Not the chassis-based.

• "All of the networking products that we use are Aruba, so we use Aruba Central to manage them."
  • "It would be good if I could get a 24-port, 10 gig module."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good, solid tool. It doesn't do anything fancy but it does what we need it to do. We don't do any routing through it. We have other routers to do all of that work. Again, the modular flexibility was a big attraction for us. I've used Switches forever, so I knew what to expect. There was no installation really needed. We knew how to set up VLAN and set up the interfaces. We're happy with it. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
MV
Team leader technical support at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Provides plenty of options for automation and programming, a way forward for networking as a whole

What is our primary use case?

We had a need to implement a distributed data center, split over two different sites, which were still more or less in each other's vicinity, less than a kilometer apart. The Aruba CX line products was one of the candidates in review and it was deemed the most logical choice We are customers of Aruba and I'm the team leader of technical support.

• "The solution has great open architecture."
  • "It's a little less convenient for more simplified management needs."

What other advice do I have?

If you start using these products, then it's a good idea to check whether the product that you're going to use is in the same management fabric. We use a slightly different hardware architecture for the access switches, the 2930f environment, and that uses a different management layer. So if I was to think about it again, I would try to see if it's possible to get the whole environment within the same management fabric. By doing that you ease up on a lot of the manageability issues. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
Alfred_Pullicino
IT Manager at Genesis Global
Enables me to be anywhere and still see the network traffic, network boards and I can do configuration changes to the switches

What is our primary use case?

We have the switches on-premises but we also use the private cloud.

• "The cloud configuration is the most valuable feature of this solution. Watching in the cloud, propagating the actual devices themselves and the management of devices that are remote."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see network access control on the switches themselves. I would like to see security functionalities when it comes to monitoring the bit of the wireless section of the switches."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution is to play it out before and choose whoever has the better solution. I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten out of ten because there were some major issues like configuration conflicts and by the time we got to solve them, it was a bit of a nightmare until we got it up and running. But there will always be some teething problems. There were problems while implementing until we sorted things out and until it started stabilizing itself. It was either a question of the switch temporarily disconnecting from the internet so it couldn't connect…
AS
Deputy IT Manager at ICAPP (Americana Group)
Reliable, easy to set up, and cost-effective

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is as the edge and the core switches for our company network. We are working on an ERP system, domain controller, warehouse management, Salesforce automation, and many other applications.

• "It's a reliable product that you can depend on."
  • "We don't have visibility in Aruba Switches and we are thinking of switching to Fortiswitch because it has visibility."

What other advice do I have?

We have experience working in networking products, high-security products like firewalls, switches, and all data center products. We would happy to use Aruba Switches in the future if there are new technologies that meet our requirements, and our needs regarding visibility. Having visibility in the entire network and to see all of the parts of the network is something that is important to us. In general, I recommend Aruba Switches. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
MS
Head of Technical Support at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
Extremely reliable with great back-up and support provided

What is our primary use case?

These are ethernet switches that provide power over the net for our PoE requirements, basically layer two and layer three features that we have. I'm the head of technical support and we are customers of Aruba.

• "They provide great service in terms of replacing malfunctioning switches."
  • "It's an expensive product."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Aruba switches. I would rate this product a nine out of 10.
Ramesh Benure
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good performance, easy to use, quickly configurable, and affordable

What is our primary use case?

I am working in a solution-based company. Whenever we get the product, we create a template and deploy it on the customer's site. We deal with different versions of this product based on a customer's requirements. I have deployed three Aruba 320M Series switches. One of our customers is a marketing company, and they used Aruba switches for LAN purposes. They used the 2930 and 3810 series, and we configured them according to their requirements with LAN, lags, trunking port, etc.

• "These switches have a good performance, and they are also quickly configurable."
  • "We had an issue with the hardware where one or two interfaces went down after one and a half years. This issue impacted only one or two interfaces, not the whole hardware."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution depending on the requirements. It is easy to use and affordable. It is cheaper than other solutions. I would rate Aruba switches an eight out of ten.
See 19 more Aruba Switches Reviews
Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Aruba Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.