CA SYSVIEW Performance Management Overview

What is CA SYSVIEW Performance Management?
CA SYSVIEW Performance Management offers new levels of visibility into critical business transactions that provide 24x7 monitoring for complex application environments. This real-time visibility is a critical asset to simplify mainframe performance management by monitoring against alerts, drilling down for intuitive problem identification, and basing automation on performance intelligence. Instead of using different tools, processes and people to support each environment, now there's an enterprise-wide solution that monitors the real-time performance of mainframe subsystems, providing additional integrated data.

CA SYSVIEW Performance Management is also known as CA SYSVIEW, Unicenter CA-SYSVIEW Realtime Performance Management.

CA SYSVIEW Performance Management Customers
Tieto, Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU)
CA SYSVIEW Performance Management Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

MB
Computer Systems Programmer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It provides information that supports our duties in problem alerts, problem investigation, and performance monitoring and management.

What is our primary use case?

System monitoring and issue alerting. Problem investigation and resolution. System status and configuration details.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very powerful and reliable tool with a relatively easy to follow interface.
Senior Mainframe Systems Programmer - Storage
MSP
I use the SMS space management extensively, and the features that allow me to look at dumps and dataset allocations

• "When we changed to JES3, the programmers didn't have to know anything. The product provided the same interface with the same look and feel."
  • "I use most of the SMS space management extensively, but also the features that enable me to look at dumps and different dataset allocations to the system, and performance data from the queueing and delays."
  • "I also really appreciated all the work that everybody did to get it functional for JES3, and they continue to do so, even though IBM said they are going to do away with JES3."
  • "The things that I would think about would be in relation to JES3. However, I don't know if they'll be able to do much more with that because I don't know how much longer IBM is going to be supporting JES3. So I can understand not doing additional development. But if I were to suggest something it would be the JES3 initiators, the JES3 queues."
  • "It confuses a lot of people because there are so many features, but when they see me bouncing around they say, "I didn't know it did that, I didn't know it did that." It takes a long time to find all the different features that are available."

What other advice do I have?

CA offers technical advice. They'll come in and they'll show you all the bells and whistles. I think that's a really good thing. They'll come in and help you tweak the product to get the most use out of it. You have to ask the sales team, and they'll schedule somebody. This is probably their best product. I look at this product and I think it is the best in their fleet. It's hard to say what I would want them to do better, other than, as I said, JES3. I've been using it since the 80s. I've always found it to be very helpful, so anytime I get the chance, I recommend that we implement SYSVIEW.
DO
IT Systems Engineer Lead at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
Thresholds with alerts enable us to fix a problem before it has an impact

What is our primary use case?

* IOF/SDSF compatible commands and displays * MVS displays and commands * DB2 * USS CICS displays

• "Thresholds with alerts are valuable, enabling us to fix a problem before it has an impact."
  • "The documentation format could be better. I noticed with the last release that all of the manuals were bundled into one. It used to have a separate installation guide, user guide, etc."

What other advice do I have?

Follow the manual and you won’t have any problems. If you do come across any installation issues, instead of spending lots of time trying to resolve it, open up a question with support and they will resolve it very quickly.
Sr. Analyst/Technology Infrastructure at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Video Review
Leaderboard
We like that it's an all in one monitoring solution. The single install helps us out.

What is our primary use case?

This is our primary performance monitor. It replaced BMC Mainview and is much easier to install and maintain. Most of what we need is all in this single product. We monitor z/OS, JES2, MQ, IMS, CICS and TCPIP with this product over 3 lpars. It's very easy to switch from lpar to lpar without even leaving the product. This is very helpful to us.

What other advice do I have?

A solution has to be, one, user friendly. It needs to be easy to install and maintain. It does need to interface into the things that we want it to. Really just being able to play nicely in the field that we're working in and along with the other products. Those are some of the biggest things we look for. I would probably rate it a 9/10. I'll be honest, not a ten because I'm very particular and I would always have difficulty no matter how much I liked a product to give it a ten. Make sure you set thresholds. The out of the box thresholds are okay, but because each site is different it's really…
Mainframe Specialist at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
The queues on the system are fast, and it is very intuitive to locate something

What is our primary use case?

We use it to surveillance our mainframe system to see if it is behaving fine or if anything is wrong, and it is perfect. It is a very good product.

• "It is easy to see if anything is wrong. The queues on the system are fast, and it is very intuitive to locate something."
  • "We have not had any major issues in approximately 15 years."
  • "The scalability is absolutely fine."
  • "​We are using Datacom as the database system, so maybe a little bit more integration with that.​"

What other advice do I have?

I think it is quite good. Absolutely, get it. It is a great tool. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: I'm not sure it is about the vendor. Maybe it is about the product. Of course, you have to coach your support, but it is mostly how the product is.
Lead System Programmer at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
CA is easy to work with and the support is extraordinary for this product

What is our primary use case?

For UPS, we are trying to match up end-to-end between distributive and the mainframe. So far, the AutoSys view, it looks good on a mainframe. We are just having trouble matching it up on the distributive side, but the data collection and everything looks fine to us mainframe folks.

• "Between the tech support and the person I was working with, they have been extraordinary."
  • "The documentation, like installation guides and stuff, put it all in one place.​"

What other advice do I have?

You need to be partnered with CA. Work alongside of them. It makes it a lot easier because of the amount that goes into installing this product. You will need a little help. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: usability and scalability.
Principal Consultant at SBBWorks, Inc.
Leaderboard
The stability is very reliable, but I would like to have the ability to correlate transactions that cross technologies

What is our primary use case?

SYSVIEW is a performance analysis tool. It is used to analyze various transaction-based subsystems and evaluate when there are problems that need to be addressed, and it is also looking for trends over time.

• "​The stability is very reliable. We have not had any issues."
  • "If a unit of work ID is associated with a CICS, a DB2, and a MQ transaction, and having that capability correlate to those different technologies via one business application transaction which would be beneficial."

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try. Do not deny it because of other possible influences that may or may not be valid with this particular solution.
Enterprise Systems Engineering at First Data Corporation
A pretty simple, easy to install, easy to upgrade product

What is our primary use case?

I am mainly the installer, subject-matter expert for my company. So, making sure it is in, working, and available for others to use. It has performed great so far.

• "Ability for system diagnostics"
  • "They are already working on improvements. One of them is the operational intelligence, which is a lot of stuff I am trying to learn and work on right now, which SYSVIEW reports to that all the system things which are going on."

What other advice do I have?

Just try it. See if you like it or not. I have to work with other products that are its competition, and so far, SYSVIEW is one of the best out of there. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: The response from their technical team is the most important for me. Also, a product that is stable and works
Senior Systems Programmer at FDC
As a system programmer it gives total visibility, and the ability to deep-dive, into the system

What is our primary use case?

We use it to control everything that's going on in the system. It's a very good tool to use for a system programmer and for a normal programmer.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor it comes down to the price. I would recommend SYSVIEW. Use it.
Software Engineer at Automatic Data Processing, Inc.
It is easy to navigate through and has a lot of features and functions

What is our primary use case?

SYSVIEW has numerous uses. There are so many different things: CICS transactions CPU utilizations TSO users.

How has it helped my organization?

It performs exactly as we have it customized. We have never had a problem with it. It is always well-maintained and it does everything we ask for it to do. It is easy to navigate through. It has a lot of features and functions to it, so people can do their jobs.

I never had a problem with it whatsoever. It is 100% always up.

I have never had a problem with it.

Same as always with CA. They are on top of things. I have never had an issue.

How

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Initial setup was fairly straightforward and technical support is professional.

What other advice do I have?

Do not hesitate; it’s invaluable.
Systems Programmer at a tech services company
Provides information about job degradation and analysis.

What other advice do I have?

Do it.
IT Team Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The automatic JES2 spool cleanup is based on multiple filter criteria.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a good performance monitoring and system tool, this solution offers it in a very compact product suite.
Technical Services Professional, z/OS Systems Programmer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides insights to a z/OS operating system and the ability to modify it.

What other advice do I have?

A great deal of the product is definitely suitable for z/OS system specialists with some years of job experience. In other words, z/OS beginners will probably not be able to appreciate all of the product’s features. Thus, it should be evaluated by an experienced systems programmer.
z/OS system Programmer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Interoperability with CA-OPS allows for more automation.

What is most valuable?

Easy Install One consistent interface for all components Many interfaces (VTAM, TSO, ISPF, Batch) Relatively easy to learn Interoperation with CA-OPS

How has it helped my organization?

It's easier to diagnose problems, and find solutions Interoperability with CA-OPS allows for more automation.

What needs improvement?

Better historical reporting.

At least 10 years.

Customer Service: Excellent. No problem with asking How-To questions. Technical Support: Excellent.

Which

Tech Analyst at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We replaced BMC MainView with CA SYSVIEW for cost reasons.

What other advice do I have?

Just take your time and set thresholds and alerts properly.
Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
With experience, you can find any problems and resolve them. It makes the machine reliable and stable.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product for mainframe management. It is a lot easier to install and maintain than most of the other products that I am familiar with, such as BMC vs CA mainframe management or IBM mainframe management tools.
Vice President at BNYMellon
Applications see what's wrong with a transaction and make corrections.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product. It's a busy product. We like it. I wouldn't tell them about the logs or the transaction history because that's my pet peeve that's been around for a long time. But I understand that SYSVIEW already invested a lot of money and time into the product, so we’ve got to come in from the back door. When I talk to other people or tell other people about the product, I actually tell them it's a good product. It does what it's supposed to do. The support’s good and that's the main factor right there. That's what you want out of a product. I didn’t give it a perfect rating - I'd…
Systems Analyst Mainframe at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Actions can be triggered by thresholds. Many users have ceased manually performing functions.

What other advice do I have?

I can easily and highly recommend it.
Senior Technical Specialist, Mainframe Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
We use it to define alarms based on product-provided metrics. In CICS monitoring, we even use autocancel functions based on threshold settings.

What other advice do I have?

In previous releases, the default setting was consuming too much CPU perhaps, but since 14.1, this was tuned quite well. Still, I would advise checking the interval setting in SCHD* parmlib members in case you want to keep CPU usage by SYSVIEW as low as possible. Using ZIIP is also good thing, where applicable.
Oracle DBA at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
The integration of CA OPS/MVS to alter and automate the action by threshold setup is the most valuable feature of this product.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product to others due to its easy implementation, comprehensive functionality and good organization of documents.
Senior System Specialist z/OS at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
I really like the XSYSTEM functions in case I'm having trouble logging on to an LPAR.

What other advice do I have?

Start with a small and easy configuration and get it running. Make yourself familiar with the product, then switch on additional features one at a time and get familiar with it. Otherwise, you may get lost in options, features, and parameters. The product is quite comprehensive.
Mainframe Support at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It can be used in REXX, batch or interacting with automation. CA-OPS/MVS interaction is particularly good.
Technical Specialist - APS with 501-1,000 employees
We use the predictive analytics with CA Workload Automation iDASH. It's a complex solution but we haven’t run into issues yet.

What other advice do I have?

Have a good service contract. We can call on their engineers to come as we paid for a certain amount of time and you need someone to show you.
Sr. Director with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's intuitive to use and you don't need a lot of expertise, but you need to know how to manage it.

What other advice do I have?

I would say first and foremost, understand your business rules and understand what you are trying to accomplish and your requirements to the fullest. Then make sure they are articulated so you can make a good decision. A lot of time, folks look at a product pipeline and not looking at their requirements.
MTS II - sysengng at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
It allows us to compare historical reports, a feature that's hard to find in other products. We're looking forward to using more than one job name to grab information at once in v12.2.

What other advice do I have?

It’s definitely better than SDFF and JCL as they are going nowhere. I haven’t used any other products, but if you want to keep looking back and to see historical data and find out about yourself, then this is the product for you.
Programmer Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It lets us see what’s running, what conflict we have, and where we don’t have to bother. It is a complex system, as every view has a different setting panel. Once you get a grasp of it, it gets easier

What other advice do I have?

You should have at least have one person who is up to date with the current release. This can help a lot with setting up the solution and implementation. I also recommend to work hard on becoming familiar with this product, as it is complicated at times.