Eaton PredictPulse Overview
What is Eaton PredictPulse?
PredictPulse Insight is the first cloud-based analytics service for data center infrastructure to predict the failure of power components. The new service adds predictive analytics to Eaton’s next generation PredictPulse remote monitoring service, shifting power monitoring from a reactive to a proactive model. The new PredictPulse is a cloud-based monitoring and management service that collects and analyzes data from connected power infrastructure devices, providing us with the insight needed to make recommendations and take action on your behalf.
Eaton PredictPulse is also known as PredictPulse.
Eaton PredictPulse Buyer's Guide
Download the Eaton PredictPulse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021
Eaton PredictPulse Video
What users are saying about Eaton PredictPulse pricing:
- "It's part of our service contracts, so it's not broken down as a separate line item."
- "In order to give us the latest, greatest version of PredictPulse, Eaton had to give us new cards on our UPS systems. Eaton provided the cards and had our technician install them at no cost to us."
- "Eaton was only one who offered to let us try it out for free. Right now, we are not paying anything for it, so the return on investment is great."
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Review Length
Showingreviews based on the current filters.
Automation Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
If you have a fault, it will tell you what the fault is
What is our primary use case?We get a monthly report, which is emailed to me from Eaton, with PredictPulse. We don't have software onsite. We just get the monthly report emailed to us. Then, I have the ability to use a web browser, like Microsoft Edge or Chrome, to dial into the IP address of the device and look at it. We have 11 Eaton UPSs, which take on through controls equipment processes that basically cannot shut down. If they shut down, it gets extremely ugly, extremely quick. So, to prevent it from shutting them down, we have UPS systems which protect them and are scattered throughout our plant. It's a large… more »
Pros and Cons
- "PredictPulse tells me stuff like, "Hey, this room's too hot," that's going to kill my UPS. That's going to shut this thing down. It might prevent a power outage. Right there, that one's not quite as critical, but you're talking, if they go down, tens of thousands at a minimum of loss. So, it pays for itself by having the ability to know without having to walk out there all the time and look at it, because people will get busy, then they won't do their rounds and stuff getting missed. With PredictPulse, it doesn't get missed."
- "They have redone the monthly report to make them easier to read through."
What other advice do I have?It provides us the information and data that we need. I would recommend it. I had the PredictPulse mobile app on my other phone, but then they gave me a new phone and I need to get that loaded. I didn't have any issues with it at all when I used it. I was able to breeze through it with no problems. This was something they just started in the last few months. They sent me an email to put PredictPulse on my phone, and I loaded it, but then they sent me another phone and I have not loaded it. I explored it a little, but not a lot. Instead, I get the emails which tell me what's going on. That's…
System Engineer at a government with 51-200 employees
Helpful, user-friendly solution that I can rely on
What is our primary use case?We are a 911 center, so we have building-wide UPS. We have two very large UPSs, and each of our systems are on either UPS A or B. We were very careful to make sure that everything was on the same UPS. Therefore, if one goes down, we only lose half our center. That is why we went with Eaton. It is just built for that type of resilience. Resilience is everything when you are a 911 center. We have two PDUs supporting the UPSs: Model 9395-550 UPS units. I use a weblink to access PredictPulse, primarily using the email. We have certain emails for critical things set up to come to us, so we don't… more »
Pros and Cons
- "Event Viewer saves me a lot of time when getting everything ready for our fire insurance rating inspection, once every seven to eight years."
- "Right now, the problem with our emails is we do not have a way to separate emails to Eaton versus us. So, we get a lot of alerts that we might not get, which are almost considered spam. It would be nice if we could segregate them: This group of people gets these emails and this other group of people gets these emails. As of now, it's a shotgun approach where we get so many. It's like, "Oh God, another one," as opposed to being able to filter out exactly what we do want, since we don't want to miss any."
What other advice do I have?While Eaton is not an educational application, it's very helpful and user-friendly. I learned I can rely on it. I cannot access it using the web browser, but I'm going to fix that today. I would rate this solution as a nine (out of 10).
Learn what your peers think about Eaton PredictPulse. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technical data presented in reports reduces maintenance frequency and manpower
What is our primary use case?The use case for PredictPulse is because of the critical function of the UPS's and the scarcity of manpower. Although we have a SCADA system, we wanted a monitoring system for the UPS's that will give us much information about their status, which would aid in quick maintenance, given the reduced manpower available. We plan to install 25 Eaton 93PM UPS's. These UPS's are primarily used for emergency lighting and data notification in an emergency. They also operate our communication radios during an emergency. This is our second generation of Eaton UPS's. Since the system opened we have had… more »
Pros and Cons
- "The most valuable feature is the instant notification, remotely via email, of any change in the status of the UPS, which is important. The UPS's provide critical control functions, such as emergency lighting and operation of emergency communications for passengers, and operation of critical radio systems which are needed for communication between Metro and the local Sheriff department."
- "You can also program a report at the frequency you choose — I chose a monthly frequency — and get a report from each unit describing the average performance throughout that time period. That's very critical because we can use that as a maintenance tool to monitor the health of the unit."
- "I don't have problems with Eaton products, except that they're proprietary."
What other advice do I have?The lesson I've learned is that it's a dependable solution to the maintenance and operational requirements for the UPS's that we have. In our company I use PredictPulse as the manager and my team of inspectors maintain the system. Ultimately, there will be about 10 people who will have access to it, when it's finished. I plan to use the PredictPulse mobile app, but at this time, since we are just in the beginning stages and we have only installed three units so far out of the 25, I haven't started using it. I will use it as soon as we have finished setting up. In terms of proactive parts…
Field Service Technician at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Saves us time and helps us know that our medical hardware is up and running
What is our primary use case?I've only really used it for sending out a report whenever there's an outage. Occasionally I might run a report for the health of it, and that's about it. The real use of it would be for our radiology department, since they were the ones who purchased the UPS itself. We just helped set up the notifications, if there is an outage, and anything that deals with the reports for it. The Eaton equipment we have is mostly the UPS, which is directly for our CT machine. It's the only thing that's hooked up to that UPS.
Pros and Cons
- "The most valuable feature is being able to run reports on it. We get a monthly report on outages and usage and we can see how often we've had downtime, if we've had downtime."
- "It's been working very well. The only issue I've ever had with it was when we did the initial setup. We had issues getting it to bypass through the firewall. Their support staff were very helpful and we were able to get that taken care of pretty quickly, within a day or two."
What other advice do I have?I'd recommend Eaton if you want reliable reports and good uptime for whatever units you are going to have plugged into it. And I'd also recommend the solution because of the professionalism of their support. What I've learned from using the solution is the reliability of it, which I've been happy with. I've also learned that I need to check out the hardware on Insight a little bit more to see if there are any issues.
Electrical and Instrumentation Technician at Marathon Petroleum Corporation
The information it provides is very in-depth, helps me during weekly inspections, and notifies me of any trouble or any predictions
What is our primary use case?We have three 93PM UPS systems from Eaton. We use it as backup power for the control systems that we have at our facility. We're pretty happy with them. We're pretty happy with the PredictPulse system as well that was installed about a month ago because since then, we have had two events where PredictPulse has notified us and cut our troubleshooting time down tremendously in each of these instances. We have had these units for almost three years now. We have been very satisfied with the operation of these UPS systems. We have had two units in the past month since we've had this PredictPulse… more »
Pros and Cons
- "PredictPulse saved us time by helping to avoid downtime and other problems. It would take 20 minutes to an hour to try to figure out the problem, whereas we immediately knew where the problem was with the help of PredictPulse. It easily saves us hundreds of man-hours just for that downtime. For production, we did have production lost and that could be in the thousands to possibly millions of dollars."
- "I would like to see more voltage and current values. Input voltage has a phase to phase option and then there is a phase to neutral option for each phase and there are three phases. So it would be nice to see an average of each of those instead of just a voltage for each individual phase. If there was an average of those three, then that would be less math for me."
What other advice do I have?I would highly recommend Eaton PredictPulse to reduce overall troubleshooting time. It's easy to view any information on the UPS system from anywhere. I can be at home and pull it up and view the UPS systems, all the values, and make sure that they're in a good state and not in alarm. That is definitely very nice. It's remote monitoring. They dispatch their technicians with the correct parts quickly. Sometimes I don't even have to call and they'll call me and tell me they're on the way. I would rate PredictPulse a nine out of ten.
Facility Manager at a hospitality company with 501-1,000 employees
With the remote monitoring, I don't have to physically look at the piece of equipment; I can do it from my phone
What is our primary use case?We use it to provide uninterrupted power to security systems, gaming systems, and surveillance systems on a gaming floor at a casino.
Pros and Cons
- "Many of its features are valuable, but the ability to be notified in real-time is the most valuable aspect. I can be at home, it could be the middle of the night. We have it set up so that it sends emails to people if it engaged."
- "The only thing I can think of is the remote monitoring. When it's communicating something, if there's an event or there's an issue, the dashboard and how it's presented could be improved. I know what it's communicating, but if we had someone at a different level monitoring it, they might not understand if it's a critical item. The remote monitoring dashboard could be simplified."
What other advice do I have?It saves us time and it saves us money. If the equipment that it protects is valuable to your business, it will keep it operating. It was the right system to go with. We're close to a year in, and there have been zero issues. In the preceding couple of years we had so many issues with the old system; it was undersized and it wasn't really protecting everything that the current one is. It has given us that reliability. We were able to make the system larger and cover more equipment. It's hard to compare apples to apples because we weren't covering the same things, but it makes all the…
Automates service-call ticket generation on occasions where we have a UPS issue
What is our primary use case?We're using Eaton's UPS systems with PredictPulse. All our UPSs are tied in. They report to PredictPulse with daily emails or notifications. We use PredictPulse to monitor the UPS systems and conditions.
Pros and Cons
- "It gives us the opportunity to know if we have an issue with a UPS and then it invokes the automated service ticketing system. So we don't really have to do anything."
- "I don't know if the way they do the emails, daily, is the best way. It seems like they could come up with a better solution for communication. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it just seems like it's a little outdated... Maybe they could provide a more secure messaging system."
What other advice do I have?My advice is don't buy it just because it's there but because you have a need for it. You have to understand your own needs and then see if PredictPulse will be that solution to your needs. The solution is doing what it needs to do. It's has provided us a service that we felt we needed. The visibility the service provides into our UPS equipment through the reporting is okay. There isn't much to report other than the UPS conditions. We also have dynamic monitoring of our UPS systems, so the PredictPulse report confirms what we already know. The PredictPulse reports are fine. We don't have a…
Quick deployment of field technicians helps us, but the reporting could be better
What is our primary use case?* Monitoring UPSs. * Preventing failures. We are using Eaton SecureConnect Installer Cloud, which is a private cloud deployment model.
Pros and Cons
- "The service has definitely quickly deployed field technicians. At one of our sites, the temperature in the room was rising. Because we received a notification, we were able to get an engineer dispatched to the site to the HVAC problem. Had we not done that, we might have ended up with a UPS failure."
- "I like visibility the service provides into our UPS equipment through its reporting, but it could be better. I would like it to be easier to set up for the specific things I'd like to monitor and how we would like to get notified. E.g., I would like to have battery run-time be more of an alert because I don't really care when the unit goes on battery, as long as it goes on battery. However, something I would care about is if the battery was down below 10 percent. That would be something which would be good to get notified on. It would also be good to have past data to be able to drill into if something had happened a week ago to do failure analysis on."
What other advice do I have?PredictPulse has helped me better define our requirements. One of the pros of PredictPulse is the majority of our UPSs and the support has been phenomenal. They seem very open to work with us on improvements for future releases and to learn more about what we need as well, so that has been nice. One of the cons of the PredictPulse is that right now we can only use it on UPSs. From what I understand, that will change in the future. The national viewpoint and data logging are the things that I brought up which could be improved. I don't think that we use Eaton for repair of these units.
See 1 more Eaton PredictPulse Reviews