Fortify WebInspect OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortify WebInspect is #10 ranked solution in AST tools. IT Central Station users give Fortify WebInspect an average rating of 8 out of 10. Fortify WebInspect is most commonly compared to PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional:Fortify WebInspect vs PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.
What is Fortify WebInspect?
Most enterprises rely heavily on the Web to conduct their normal operations, whether providing services, a mechanism for retail sales, or a host of other functions. Yet, most still struggle with efficiently managing their application security risks. For one thing, they need solutions of scale that can be used to manage thousands of active sites and assessments while also tracking discovered vulnerabilities, retesting procedures, and more. They need to perform repeated security tests to address compliance with regulations, legislation, and internal security policies and also see how their risk posture has changed over time. The enterprises have to protect their data, brand, and bottom line from the harsh impacts of what successful vulnerability exploitation could bring. Micro Focus WebInspect Enterprise enables organizations to solve these security problems quickly, efficiently, and intelligently.

Fortify WebInspect was previously known as Micro Focus WebInspect, WebInspect.

Download the Application Security Testing (AST) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Fortify WebInspect Customers

Aaron's

Fortify WebInspect Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortify WebInspect pricing:
  • "Its price is almost similar to the price of AppScan. Both of them are very costly. Its price could be reduced because it can be very costly for unlimited IT scans, etc. I'm not sure, but it can go up to $40,000 to $50,000 or more than that."
  • "Our licensing is such that you can only run one scan at a time, which is inconvenient."
  • "The pricing is not clear and while it is not high, it is difficult to understand."

Fortify WebInspect Reviews

Milin Shah
Information Security Architect at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good reporting and vulnerability management, but needs better performance and resource utilization

• "Reporting, centralized dashboard, and bird's eye view of all vulnerabilities are the most valuable features."
  • "It requires improvement in terms of scanning. The application scan heavily utilizes the resources of an on-premise server. 32 GB RAM is very high for an enterprise web application."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for code scanning, security scanning, and finding vulnerabilities.

I am using its latest version. I have Fortify code scan on the cloud and Fortify WebInspect on-premise for a dynamic scan. So, SAST is on the cloud, and DAST is on-premise.

What is most valuable?

The vulnerability management part of it is very easy. We can suppress or comment on each vulnerability and assign a vulnerability to an individual risk owner, which makes the work easy.

What needs improvement?

It requires improvement in terms of scanning. The application scan heavily utilizes the resources of an on-premise server. 32 GB RAM is very high for an enterprise web application.

Its installation and maintenance are not easy. Its updates and upgrades are hard.

Its performance needs to be stabilized. It should also be able to find more vulnerabilities than other tools.

It is expensive. Its price needs to be improved.

I have been using this solution for five years.

Its performance is good, but it takes a lot of resources in terms of CPU utilization, so stability-wise, there are problems at times.

We have 70 to 80 users who use this solution. Its scalability is easy. You just need to add another server, if required.

We have contacted them for multiple issues. Sometimes, scanning didn't work, and the reports didn't come, so we had to escalate. My experience with them was fair. It wasn't great. We asked for remote control or remote setup, but they never provided that. There is no remote assistance. You need to upload the logs. They review and reply back on time. Their response time is very short, which is good, but if we need remote help, it is not easy. You don't get that immediately.

I have also been using AppScan. The performance of AppScan is good, but WebInspect has more features, such as a centralized dashboard and the ability to assign a risk into priorities. It is an enterprise and feature-rich tool, but performance-wise, AppScan is good.

The on-premise setup is complex. It requires the installation of a lot of tools, software, licenses, and on. Its installation is very complex as compared to the other tools in the market. It took us a week.

It requires some maintenance in terms of logs. It collects a lot of logs, and you need to remove those logs and keep updating the software. The update is not that regular, and you need to install the update manually on each of the servers. The update requires a lot of effort. It's not a simple auto-update feature.

We had to take help from the vendor. At one point, I was stuck, and the vendor had to install it. They were pretty supportive.

Its price is almost similar to the price of AppScan. Both of them are very costly.

Its price could be reduced because it can be very costly for unlimited IT scans, etc. I'm not sure, but it can go up to $40,000 to $50,000 or more than that.

What other advice do I have?

While implementing WebInspect, it is always better to keep all the required software installed and ready. The installation of WebInspect has a lot of dependencies, such as .NET, Java, SQL database, etc. All of the data does not come in-built. So, the moment you start building it, if it creates a problem, you have to remove and reinstall everything from scratch and then come back, which takes a lot of time. So, it is better to have those prerequisites handy, pre-installed, and tested.

I would rate it a seven out of 10.

IB
Security Engineer at Secure Network
Easy to use with a simple deployment and good documentation

• "The solution is easy to use."
  • "The scanner could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for web applications and tests.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us much as it's a really good automated scanner with nice number of checks.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward and the deployment is quick.

The solution has good documentation.

The product is a good option for enterprise-level organizations.

What needs improvement?

The scanner could be better.

The out of bounds channel is missing and it makes it hard to nail down the vulnerabilities.

I hadn't been working with the solution for very long; I worked with it at my last company.

The first time we ran the module, it was okay, however, the next time we ran it, it almost crashed. For example, when I started the proxy, I tried to create some traffic from the application and nothing happened, but then, after that, everything began to hang. I'm not sure if this was an issue with a particular version or not. I'm not sure if it was some sort of bug.

Typically, if I have an issue, I contact my internal support team. They may directly contact technical support. However, I have not done so myself. Therefore, I can't speak to their responsiveness or knowledge levels.

I've used PortSwigger in the past, and it was a pretty good product as well.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. You just have to download it to the Microsoft server and you're done.

The total deployment may take an hour, or, at maximum, two.

I handled the implementation myself.

We used Acunetix and Netsparker with Burp Suite.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I would recommend WebInspect to enterprise-level organizations. to use. For a smaller company, I'd recommend something more automated. WebInspect has far more manual work, however, it does have good documentation.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, HCL, PortSwigger and others in Application Security Testing (AST). Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KW
Assoc. Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use and has good cost/value

• "It is scalable and very easy to use."
  • "The installation could be a bit easier. Usually it's simple to use, but the installation is painful and a bit laborious and complex."

What is our primary use case?

We use WebInspect for dynamic application security testing, and integrating that into all our needs.

What is most valuable?

In terms of its most valuable features, it is scalable and very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Right now, it's kind of bulky. There are a lot of newer generation tools coming out that are easier.

Also, when it comes to the installation and deployment, they inspect the enterprise. It was ok with the scale, but still I think they can make it a little lighter in nature.

I have been using WebInspect for around six, seven years.

It's quite a stable product.

WebInspect is a scalable product. We have users in the double digits, around 10-15 users. At any time there are a couple of project users, so I would say around eight to ten.

We require one person maximum for deployment and maintenance.

I have been satisfied with my experience with the customer support.

I previously used AppScan. We switched due to an overall change in our organization in Azure. IBM sold this to HCL so there is no IBM grant attached to it.

The installation could be a bit easier. Usually it's simple to use, but the installation is painful and a bit laborious and complex.

The first time we deployed it, it really took awhile because of some issues on our side and on their side. Installation can last for more than three days.

Our team implemented it along with some of the other professional departments.

We did evaluate AppScan for this task. Both solutions are good. We also evaluated Oracle of course, but it is purely a SaaS solution and that's the reason it was not considered.

What other advice do I have?

Yes, I would recommend WebInspect. It is a good product, comparable to AppScan. It is quite scalable, and good cost/value with the support and backing from Micro Focus. It's good and I definitely recommend it.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give it an eight.

HS
Sr. Manager Business Operations Protection at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
Great accuracy when scanning, but it has an interface that is awkward and not friendly to work with

• "The accuracy of its scans is great."
  • "Our biggest complaint about this product is that it freezes up, and literally doesn't work for us."

What is our primary use case?

This is a security testing tool that is used by our security team and the QA team.

What is most valuable?

The accuracy of its scans is great. Provided it does not freeze, or somebody from another team is not trying to use the same resources, it works well.

The integration with the Fortify code scanner is nice because you combine those two elements and get one output.

What needs improvement?

Our biggest complaint about this product is that it freezes up, and literally doesn't work for us. It may be in part the way we have it set up, or how we've licensed it.

It is awkward and not very friendly to work with.

The version that I am using is not capable of generating reports to HTML or PDF, so I can't share them. I have to get somebody else to log into the application and view the results themselves. Simply, I can't output a report that I can easily share.

We have been using WebInspect for about one year.

The experience that I have had is that it is not stable.

Scalability is probably fine if you buy more licenses.

I have not worked with their technical support.

Our licensing is such that you can only run one scan at a time, which is inconvenient. The licensing was bundled with Fortify so I'm sure that we paid for it in some context, although I don't know what the exact cost would be.

What other advice do I have?

We are using this WebInspect in conjunction with Fortify. We're not using the client-host based deployment, but rather, a web-based one. The agent is not installed on my machine.

The suitability of this product depends on your use case. If you're trying to do what we're doing in QA and security then it's probably great. If, however, you want to do things on external sites then I would suggest an external cloud-based one.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

SH
Senior Security Consaulant
Reseller
Great vulnerability detection and pretty stable, but an expensive option

• "The solution is able to detect a wide range of vulnerabilities. It's better at it than other products."
  • "Lately, we've seen more false negatives."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to test web applications regularly.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution is on the expensive side. It's something that clients comment on. If they could make it more reasonable, it would be better.

Lately, we've seen more false negatives.

I've been dealing with the solution for three years at this point.

The solution is largely stable. We've only noticed recently that there are more false negatives. I'm not sure if that means there's an issue or not.

In terms of scalability, many of our customers only have 20-30 websites and therefore one scanner fulfills their requirement. In that sense, we've never really tried to scale the product.

For the most part, WebInspect has pretty good technical support. Not all Micro Focus products have equally good support.

We suggest different solutions to our clients. Some might use Acunetix. We've also used ForeSite in the past as well.

The solution is rather expensive. It's not cheap. If you compare it to, for example, Acunetix, Acunetix is cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

While we generally like WebINspect, if a client has a smaller budget, we might suggest Acunetix simply because it is cheaper. However, if a customer's priority was better scanning for their application, we would suggest WebInspect. We like to give our clients options and choices. We prefer to provide them with options that meet their needs and address their pain points.

Overall, I would rate the solution seven out of ten. If the price was a bit better, I would rate them higher.

Ashutosh Barot
Security Researcher at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use with a simple interface, but we sometimes had trouble capturing login sequences

• "The user interface is ok and it is very simple to use."
  • "It took us between eight and ten hours to scan an entire site, which is somewhat slow and something that I think can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use WebInspect for performance network application testing to be sure that we aren't creating any security issues.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance.

The user interface is ok and it is very simple to use.

What needs improvement?

There were times when we had to run the login sequence several times in order to capture it properly.

I have been using WebInspect for about one year.

The stability is good.

Scalability has only been an issue in that larger sites take a lot longer to scan.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

I have used Qualys in the past but more for vulnerability management in the infrastructure, as opposed to web application security.

The initial setup is straightforward and very simple. I simply download the file on my home laptop and started testing with it.

I can deploy this solution on my own.

I have been told by friends and colleagues that Acunetix is better, so I will be evaluating that solution in the future.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Fernando Vizer
Senior Information Technology Architect at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Good static code analysis helps to discover vulnerabilities

• "The most valuable feature is the static analysis."
  • "Creating reports is very slow and it is something that should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am using WebInspect for finding vulnerabilities.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the static analysis.

What needs improvement?

Creating reports is very slow and it is something that should be improved.

In the future, I would like to see better integration between static analysis and dynamic analysis.

I have been working with WebInspect for one year.

We have never had a problem with stability.

This is a scalable solution. I performed an analysis of more than five million rows and it took perhaps three hours.

Technical support is a bit slow, as sometimes it takes too long to get responses. However, the support is good because our problem was fixed after just one interaction with them.

Prior to using WebInspect, I was using SonarQube. The problem with SonarQube is that they are not very good at analyzing ASP.NET applications, so I gave up on it.

What other advice do I have?

Download our free Application Security Testing (AST) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, HCL, PortSwigger, and more!