Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center Overview

Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center is the #19 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center vs Cisco Ethernet Switches

What is Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center?

With 10 or 40 GE access ports and a high-throughput backbone, FortiSwitch Data Center Switches are ideal for the top-of-rack (ToR) server or firewall-aggregation applications. The high-speed switching fabric is also well suited for enterprise network core or backbone network installations.

Download the Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center pricing:
  • "Cost-wise, Fortinet solutions are cheaper than those offered by Cisco."

PrideChieza
Network Security Engineer at Frampol
Good visibility, a seamless connection with FortiGate and very easy to configure

• "The solution has made configuration and setup very, very easy."
  • "The solution could always benefit from more security. It's of critical importance to organizations right now."

What other advice do I have?

We partnered with a company called Maxtech, which has a direct partnership with Fortinet. The integration that Fortinet has is what we call Forti security fabric. When you've got your FortiGate and you've got your FortiSwitches, this device communicates that intelligence. To add to that, you can get Forticlient. Forticlient is responsible for sharing information about the vulnerabilities on any particular machine. If there is any vulnerability, that information is shared with FortiGate. You don't really have to guess which devices are connected to your network and what they're doing on the…
CU
IT Network, Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Has good documentation available and a good configuration

What is our primary use case?

We implement it for our customers and do the installation.

• "Configurations between FortiGate and FortiSwitch have to link to each other. We need configuration. The configuration is not like a Cisco switch. It has a unique configuration."
  • "FortiSwitch should improve the FortiGate map. The diagram cannot move automatically to show the switch. The map does not map the physical location. It cannot move or touch the diagram."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It's suitable. If you use FortiGate you should use FortiSwitch. It's very helpful. It has a good configuration. I would recommend it. If you use Fortigate you should replace a Cisco switch to FortiSwitch. FortiSwitch should not be used as a legacy switch(standalone mode). If we use it as a standalone mode, we can't use it in an SDN function. FortiGate should look at the whole packet in the network. I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because we cannot use it as a layer 3 switch when we use it as the standalone mode. because sometimes the customer wants…
Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Cisco, MikroTik and others in Ethernet Switches. Updated: June 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MG
National Information Systems Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Very straightforward with lots of features but the certifications should be more transparent

What is our primary use case?

We have physical hosts across multiple data centers and primarily use the solution to lay network fabric that can support the amount of throughput that we need to our HA and service ports.

• "The interface is very straightforward."
  • "We need to understand a bit more about certifications and knowledge for understanding capabilities. The solution should make that more clear to its users."

What other advice do I have?

We're Fortinet partners. We are both using the solution and providing it to our customers. The size of the clients we deal with vary. Some are small. Some are mining entities. I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it seven out of ten.
MG
Good analytics capabilities, but you need several certifications just to get started

What is our primary use case?

This is a solution that we use in our company and we also provide services to our clients. The FortiSwitch is used to manage traffic between our VMs and physical hosts across multiple data centers. It is part of our network fabric and it can support the amount of throughput that we need to provide HA to service our clients.

• "The most valuable feature is the port analytics."
  • "Before using FortiSwitch, you need several certifications."

What other advice do I have?

Every product has a thousand features and we're probably using 10% of them. So, it's more about certifications and knowledge for understanding capabilities. My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to spend some time to get to learn it. Once you do, using it is pretty straightforward. I would recommend the FortiSwitch Data Center, for sure, although there is always room for improvement. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
CR
IT Manager at Waaree Energies Ltd
Easy to setup, configure, and use, but IT devices are always in need of improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are using FortiSwitch at our factory. We are using both the Firewall and Wi-Fi devices with this device.

• "We are able to monitor everything that is happening on our network."
  • "With IT products, there is always room for improvement."

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I would recommend. It is very consistent, and its upgrade and updates are current. The support is good, and the pricing is also good. Overall, our experience with this product is good. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Ethernet Switches Report and find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Cisco, MikroTik, and more!