IBM Guardium Data Protection Overview

IBM Guardium Data Protection is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Masking tools. It is most often compared to Imperva SecureSphere Database Security: IBM Guardium Data Protection vs Imperva SecureSphere Database Security

What is IBM Guardium Data Protection?

The IBM Security Guardium portfolio empowers organizations to grow their business and prove compliance with smarter data protection capabilities. It provides complete visibility, actionable insights, real time controls and automated compliance workflows throughout the entire data protection journey, to support your most critical data protection needs.

IBM Security Guardium delivers discovery & classification, vulnerability & risk assessments, real-time monitoring & alerting, encryption, advanced analytics and compliance reporting across structured, unstructured, and semi-structured data in on-prem (including mainframe), cloud, and across hybrid cloud environments.

IBM Guardium Data Protection is also known as InfoSphere Guardium, Guardium, IBM Guardium.

IBM Guardium Data Protection Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Guardium Data Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

IBM Guardium Data Protection Customers

IBM Guardium Data Protection Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Guardium Data Protection pricing:
  • "One of the deployments that I know of had three databases, and the yearly fees are approximately $50,000 USD."
  • "Its cost is good. With the new metric of licensing, such as PDO not being available now, customers are expecting a good price for the solution."

IBM Guardium Data Protection Reviews

Securead44
Trusted Security Advisor at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Jun 6, 2019
Proven record of preventing unauthorized access and modifications to our customer's data

What is our primary use case?

This solution is for database security and protecting the core of the data. It allows us to put in controls to make sure that only the right persons access the proper records in the database. It prevents unauthorized access. For example, a customer may want to restrict the database so that it is accessible only from within a specific application. This means that the database administrator will not be able to access the data from outside of the application, as is normally allowed by their administrative rights. It can prevent the administrator from seeing or modifying any data for which they… more »

• "It allows us to put in controls to make sure that only the right persons access the proper records in the database."
  • "The biggest complaint that I hear from customers and users is that using this solution requires database skills, yet it is a security and monitoring tool."

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to implementing this solution, it is important for people to know exactly what they need to do. This includes what they need to monitor, what they need to protect, and what kinds of queries they want to prevent. They shouldn't rely on having this tool teach them what they need to do. Next, people need to make sure that they are getting proper support. This can be from the vendor, by having an advanced SLA for example, or a strong local partner to help them. If they have any trouble, especially something urgent, then they want to have this support in place. The third thing is to…
reviewer1388394
Chief Information Security Officer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 31, 2020
Very stable with good access but requires better technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for general access management. We use it for compliance and validation. If there's any change in the cable part, this solution will notify us.

• "he solution offers trouble-free access."
  • "The technical support is very poor."

What other advice do I have?

We're looking to upgrade the solution soon. I'm not sure which version we are currently using. I would recommend others considering the solution to make sure they get local partners who can basically deploy the product. They need to have someone with sound experience. I have found a partner who applies the product often just simply deploys it and they don't have a use case available. They don't have the right experience. You need to choose your partner carefully or be ready to work hard yourself to deploy the product in the best possible way. I would rate the solution seven out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about IBM Guardium Data Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Victor Díaz Bañales
Socio Director at RAMDIA
Dec 23, 2020
An easy-to-deploy solution with good price, compatibility, stability, and scalability

What is our primary use case?

One of my customers is a company that manages telecommunications in Mexico. It is a very important company, and they use Guardium for compliance purposes. They use it to comply with PCI, for example. We have on-premises and cloud deployments. We are currently deploying a customer's environment in Microsoft Azure with SQL Server.

• "One of the most valuable features is the accelerator. It has a predefined report for PCI SOX compliance and other compliances."
  • "The most important requirements for us are integration with new database solutions and the ability to manage things like Jailbreak or something like that. Its reduction feature can also be improved. It has a functionality called reduction, which is like masking data, but it is just a replacement of characters. Sometimes the customer needs more than this. It would be good if it was more advanced or complete. We also have a problem with this solution because the IBM aggregator isn't working very well. IBM has created big data intelligence for Guardium, and occasionally, customers need three or four months of data, but they can't run it from the collectors. It can have a better dashboard and more pre-defined use cases for those customers who don't have any idea about data protection or don't have expert personnel in this area. For example, they can include five use cases for banks and five use cases for retail."

What other advice do I have?

We would recommend this solution to others. It is a good solution at a good price, and your data is invaluable. I would rate IBM Guardium Data Protection a nine out of ten.
reviewer1360929
Information Security Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Jun 8, 2020
Good reporting and supports data-level access control

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and IBM Guardium is one of the database products that we implement for our clients. Our customers for Guardium are mostly banks and they use it for PCI compliance.

• "The most valuable features are the reporting and data-level access control."
  • "The price of this solution is quite high for smaller organizations, so they should release a version that is affordable for small and medium-sized businesses."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to start small, with a test environment, and then scale it up. This way, if there is a fault at the beginning then it won't be multiplied by the time you have a larger deployment and are fully integrated. In this way, you will see if it meets the requirements. Overall, this is a wonderful product. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
reviewer1290021
VP - Enterprise Security & Cloud Business at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 4, 2020
Textured and reliable with secure data privacy provisions

What is our primary use case?

We deal with a range of customers and lately the issue of data privacy and user identity has become very important and many companies are now seriously evaluating tools like Guardium. Companies want to know who is accessing database applications and what they are doing. This product is geared towards medium and large size enterprise companies. We're partners of IBM and I'm a company Vice President.

• "Ease of deployment is a valuable feature."
  • "Flexibility could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This is one of the core applications for customers and is not something like an endpoint security or perimeter security. It's a specialized use case. This is a textured product and the brand equity of IBM means it's reliable. I have long-term relationships with my clients and wouldn't like to deploy something that gives me problems. This is a good product. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
reviewer1342977
Information Technology Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
May 11, 2020
Good monitoring, analytics, and data loss prevention capability

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for ensuring compliance with databases. It allows monitoring of what kind of statements and alterations are going on, as well as who is accessing what data.

• "From the perspective of analysis and prevention, this product is pretty accurate."
  • "Sometimes the connectors to the databases need to be manually updated and we have to configure them again, which is something that should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

From my experience, I find that IBM Guardium is pretty good and I would recommend it. The monitoring and analytics capabilities make it a very good product, although we have had intermittent problems with our database connectors so it is not perfect. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Download our free IBM Guardium Data Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.