IBM SPSS Statistics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM SPSS Statistics is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Data Mining tools. It is most often compared to IBM SPSS Modeler: IBM SPSS Statistics vs IBM SPSS Modeler

What is IBM SPSS Statistics?
Your organization has more data than ever, but spreadsheets and basic statistical analysis tools limit its usefulness. IBM SPSS Statistics software can help you find new relationships in the data and predict what will likely happen next. Virtually eliminate time-consuming data prep; and quickly create, manipulate and distribute insights for decision making.

IBM SPSS Statistics is also known as SPSS Statistics.

IBM SPSS Statistics Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM SPSS Statistics Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

IBM SPSS Statistics Customers
LDB Group, RightShip, Tennessee Highway Patrol, Capgemini Consulting, TEAC Corporation, Ironside, nViso SA, Razorsight, Si.mobil, University Hospitals of Leicester, CROOZ Inc., GFS Fundraising Solutions, Nedbank Ltd., IDS-TILDA
IBM SPSS Statistics Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM SPSS Statistics pricing:
  • "The pricing of the modeler is high and can reduce the utility of the product for those who can not afford to adopt it."

NS
Database Consultant at a pharma/biotech company
Offers good Bayesian and descriptive statistics

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM SPSS Statistics as well as the Modeler. I would say 70% of our work is on Statistics and 30% is on the Modeler. I'm an independent consultant and my clients have lots of clinical level laboratories. Clinical companies, pharma companies, like Cipla, Biocon, etc. And also logistic companies, like Maersk and Blue Dot. I do the clinical analysis of their data. These companies provide the data and I give them the results. The customer gets the results in whatever format they want. All these companies that I work with also have software other than IBM SPSS. For example, Visual Analytics… more »

• "The features that I have found most valuable are the Bayesian statistics and descriptive statistics."
  • "I know that SPSS is a statistical tool but it should also include a little bit of analytical behavior. You can call it augmented analysis or predictive analysis. The bottom line is it should have more graphical and analytical capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. I teach statistics at a college in Bangalore, and I use the IBM statistics, which my students have bought for $29 per month. We use IBM Statistics to learn statistical analysis of data because visualization data is different than statistical analysis. I totally recommend IBM SPSS, even in top business schools, like IAM in India. I went on a guest lecture there and I recommended IBM SPSS to IAM. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate IBM SPSS Statistics a nine. I absolutely like the product. That's the reason I recommend all of my students buy SPSS.
EzzAbdelfattah
Associate Professor of Statistics at KAU
One of the standards for building data models and crating opportunity for strong data analysis

What is our primary use case?

I have wide experience with SPSS Statistics. I have even written books about it. Statistics is part of analysis, but SPSS Statistics has some differences from just straight analysis. It is also a modeler, has some automation, and can build models like linear regression. It is completely different when you use a modeler for your analysis. A modeler is designed specifically for building models of data in an automated way and using the models for prediction, and forecasting. It can help you see the data and the meaning in different ways. Because I am a statistician, originally I am trained for… more »

• "It is a modeling tool with helpful automation."
  • "It could allow adding color to data models to make them easier to interpret."
  • "It could provide even more in the way of automation as there are many opportunities."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate IBM SPSS Statistics between eight and nine. If they add some automation with time series and regression analysis exactly as they did with the linear regression, it would be a much better tool. If you open the regression modeling, the first item you will find is an automatic linear model. It uses the best technique, which is either is forward analysis or is stepwise. It can anticipate the user's needs and train at the same time. Some additional capabilities of this sort will push the tool forward as well as…
Learn what your peers think about IBM SPSS Statistics. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.
YH
Founder at pt. sma
Has many existing algorithms that we can use but it should have the ability to create higher-level presentations

What is our primary use case?

In our company, we have about 2000 workers. I use K-means algorithms all the time. So, for example, say we want to classify workers to do better studies by groupings. Maybe we want to target groups of workers who tend to make more errors so we can concentrate on reducing the effects of this issue. We can further classify the grouping in terms of age and in terms of year of services in the company or other ways that may be helpful. After we have found the grouping of people, we can do other types of analysis and the result of the study can be used to apply solutions. In this case, where we are… more »

• "They have many existing algorithms that we can use and use effectively to analyze and understand how to put our data to work to improve what we do."
  • "The product should provide more ways to import data and export results that are user-friendly for high-level executives."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other users is that if they are not doing proper data analysis that there are other, better solutions like SPSS to predict and to analyze the data. Assuming the data is already there, they may just be printing a report or pulling a PDF or filling information into the database. But they are not really doing what they can with the data to use it. Now there are better solutions we can use and should use to produce information from the data in a way we did not before. It is a better way and the way of the future for data analysis. We need to use predictive algorithms and AI to get…
EzzAbdelfattah
Associate Professor of Statistics at KAU
Offers good duration, correlation, and nonparametric statistics

What is our primary use case?

I am using SPSS Statistics in many, many, many fields - more than you can imagine. The last one I was working on was with women at the Human Rights Council. I'm also using SPSS Amos for structural equation modeling. I'm using it to analyze data for business, data for engineering, and many other fields. Besides being a professional, I also sometimes advise or solve problems for others who are working with it in business or doing their Ph.D. or master's degree in it. Again, it is useful in many, many fields.

• "In terms of the features I've found most valuable, I'd say the duration, the correlation, and of course the nonparametric statistics. I use it for reliability and survival analysis, time series, regression models in different solutions, and different types of solutions."
  • "Most of the package will give you the fixed value, or the p-value, without an explanation as to whether it it significant or not. Some beginners might need not just the results, but also some explanation for them."

What other advice do I have?

Of course I would recommend SPSS. I advise everyone to use it. As I mentioned, I wrote books about using SPSS. They are used for training and I knew most of the lecturers were using the package. Time series is a branch in and of itself, and it's very important for forecasting the future. I was suffering until I could simplify this using the SPSS for forecasting or for building time series modeling. On a scale of one to ten, I would give IBM SPSS Statistics at least a nine.
CC
Business Owner at a analyst firm with 1-10 employees
Great regression and segmentation capabilities, however more documentation is needed

What is our primary use case?

The company is primarily using the solution as a statistical tool.

• "Since we are using the software as a statistical tool, I would say the best aspects of it are the regression and segmentation capabilities. That said, I've used it for all sorts of things."
  • "It would be helpful if there was better documentation on how to properly use the solution. A beginner's guide on how to use the various programming functions within the product would be so useful to a lot of people. I found that everything was very confusing at first. Having clear documentation would help alleviate that."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have any special working relationship with IBM. We may not be using the latest version of the solution. It's been about a year since I have last updated it. I'd advise other organizations considering implementing the solution to make sure that they find a partner or somebody who can help them handle the solution. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
AltanAtabarut
Founding Partner at Altdata Analytics
Anomaly detection, with a useful algorithm handbook, but it's not scalable

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for statistical approaches, performing ED tests, and multi-armed bandit tests. It gathers the results that help us to decide on what type of campaign works best, and what type of branding would work best.

• "The best part is that they have an algorithm handbook, so you can open it up and understand how it works, and if it is useful, this is very important."
  • "The statistics should be more self-explanatory with detailed automated reports."

What other advice do I have?

It's a pretty old-school statistical tool but it's useful. I would recommend it, although there are some better tools available. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Ali-Megahed
Senior Statistical Consultant at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Has good linear regression analysis features and is easily scalable

What is our primary use case?

I'm a senior statistical consultant. We mainly use IBM SPSS to find data and organize it. We have about 10 people in our company that use the product for analysis. The work is seasonal, sometimes we use the product daily and during other periods maybe weekly, monthly or quarterly. It really depends on when the work comes in. Our company uses many different types of software and it's really dependent on the individual situation and requirements of the company.

• "Most of the product features are good but I particularly like the linear regression analysis."
  • "I think the visualization and charting should be changed and made easier and more effective."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.
HosseinRazavi
CEO at Avina
Powerful analytical tool even for multivariate statistics and has the ability to easily change any variable in our research

What is our primary use case?

My primary use for IBM SPSS Statistics is as a user and a consultant. I use it for my research in market analytics. I also use it for cluster analysis for customers. Currently, my eight students in university are using it in their projects. I think that IBM SPSS has improved very much and its data mining capabilities are also very good. I suggest it as a powerful research tool for anybody in different areas. I work mostly with market analytics. I think that it's good in different areas. For example, some of my students in university also use it for factor analysis and component analysis. I… more »

• "It has the ability to easily change any variable in our research."
  • "The design of the experience can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I think that it is a very good analysis tool for many different areas. For example, recently I found many applicable uses in my research and for market analysis. SPSS can be deployed as a very powerful tool. I am now consulting with very different customers in various areas to improve their the analytical tools with their analytics team. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate the IBM SPSS about eight or nine. To make it a 10, I suggest improving the design that experiments are run on.
See 8 more IBM SPSS Statistics Reviews