IBM Sterling File Gateway Overview

IBM Sterling File Gateway is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Managed File Transfer tools. It is most often compared to Sterling Commerce Connect:Direct: IBM Sterling File Gateway vs Sterling Commerce Connect:Direct

What is IBM Sterling File Gateway?

Securely manage transfer files with authentication, encryption and audit trails while you retain administrative control of data using a library of templates.

Sterling File Gateway can help you increase secure and dependable file transfer with your trading partners. It consolidates disparate centers of file transfer activity and facilitates the security-rich exchange of file-based data over the Internet. It helps companies avoid the risk and operational issues that can result from using loosely controlled file-transfer servers.

Download the Managed File Transfer Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

IBM Sterling File Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Sterling File Gateway pricing:
  • "It's reasonably priced at $800,000."
  • "There are two types of customer licenses, an annual preview license, and an ELA-based license. I have found the solution is priced well. However, they need to review the pricing model because if you look at any other competitors, such as GlobalSCAPE, they do pricing based on the components and what you select. With this solution you have a monolithic application which you need to buy, there is no component level price discount."

PL
Senior Manager - Architecture and Standards at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
The industry leader in secure file transfer, broadly adopted for its excellent capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We exchange many files with our partners. So our primary use case for this product is for our partners to securely send us files for processing.

• "This product has been a leader in the field of secure file exchange."
  • "The API capabilities could be expanded to make integration more versatile."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this solution as a ten-out-of-ten. In the past, it seems the whole industry adopted this solution because it was the leader in the field. Whether their whole architecture will be adaptable enough for the cloud is something that needs to be studied further.
FI
Technical Manager with 5,001-10,000 employees
Adaptive, flexible solution that is fairly stable but the auto-deployment has service disruptions

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for file management within our organization, and in different outlets as well.

• "It's highly configurable, there is no need for standalone scripting."
  • "I would like to see auto-deployment without service disruptions."

What other advice do I have?

The only limitation of this solution is that you have to pay to expand it, other than that it's stable and flexible. Plan your upgrades very carefully, and go through the documentation. It's a fairly stable product, but there are always other products on the market. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Axway, Progress Software and others in Managed File Transfer. Updated: May 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sathyan K
Founder, Director at perfTech Solutions Pvt Ltd
Plenty of valuable features, reliable, and technical support helpful

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for financial management. For example, transactions between the bank and credit card and cheque printing that need to be given to the printing service industries for transfer. There are APIs that are exposed for the corporate customers for their salary posting and other transaction settlements.

• "I have found almost all the features valuable."
  • "IBM is advising not to use the IT translate anymore but this is going to be an extra cost to the customer to use the alternative."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I rate IBM Sterling File Gateway a nine out of ten.
AR
Performance and Reliability Consultant at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Too many features offered; usability, performance, and reliability, are not good

What is our primary use case?

I work as a consultant to one of our clients who use SFG.

• "Very high functionality with the ability to plug in your own code."
  • "Too many features; UI is not good."

What other advice do I have?

There are solutions like GoAnywhere or Axway where the usability and flexibility is so easy. SFG has a legacy we have to deal with. I know they have pretty big clients and are one of the prime vendors. I'm not talking about the latest version of SFG, I haven't had a chance to look at it. If what they promise is correct, it might be a big improvement. I would rate this product a two out of 10.
PB
Enterprise Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Has good functionality and good technical support

How has it helped my organization?

The most valuable aspect is that it has good functionality.

I have been using IBM Sterling File Gateway for eight years.

Scalability is a bit complex.

The technical support is very good.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.  Not a ten because  it's a bit complex, not so simple. It's one product but there are many screens.