AA
Owner at TRS
Feature-rich, complete, stable, and easy to administer

• "It is a complete solution. It has more features as compared to other tools, especially the open-source one that we use. It is also easy to administer."
  • "Based on the feedback from my admin, it is sometimes difficult to find some of the features. It is not a big deal, but its configuration interface can be improved to make it easy to find things."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution because it comes with some of the products that we are using. It is a part of the package. Our usage is quite basic, and we have not finished exploring and deploying the whole solution.

What is most valuable?

It is a complete solution. It has more features as compared to other tools, especially the open-source one that we use. It is also easy to administer.

What needs improvement?

Based on the feedback from my admin, it is sometimes difficult to find some of the features. It is not a big deal, but its configuration interface can be improved to make it easy to find things.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is very stable.

We have not deployed it on a very large scale. For now, we have ten users, and it is mostly used for our internal things, but from next week, we're opening it for the community. We'll have a broader experience of the product.

We haven't used their technical support so far.

I have not heard of any complaints about the installation. It takes almost half a day to install. It took some time to configure it for different tools that we use, but the installation was straightforward. There is enough documentation for its installation.

We did it on our own. I only have one admin guy for its deployment.

We are a regional research and education institute. We're using the free license provided for educational institutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

RH
Service Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Great workflow sensibility and very stable but needs updating

• "The solution is extremely stable."
  • "A lot of the user interface could be updated."

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is its workflow sensibility.

What needs improvement?

The user and group management could be improved in a big way. There really are a lot of administrative areas that require a lot of screens which could be improved in many ways.

A lot of the user interface could be updated.

Technical support is lackluster. It could be improved.

They need to address a lot of the requests that people have had over the last 10 years. Instead, they rely on third-party tools to provide these features. They don't seem to understand what it is their clients really need and instead just assume a plug-in can be made for whatever the purpose is.

I've been using Jira for ten years. It's been a decade now since I first started working on the system.

The solution is extremely stable. There aren't bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable.

The solution is absolutely scalable. If an organization needs to scale up, they can do so easily.

Technical support is pretty bad. They rely on partner companies for support and don't really have any of their own internal teams that can help.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It's quite complex. However, you do tend to get used to the process after a while.

The solution is quite expensive. I'm not sure of the exact pricing, however, I know it's not cheap.

What other advice do I have?

We're an Atlassian partner.

I'm actually using various versions of the solution. I stick with versions seven and eight, mostly.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sehrish Parvaiz
Principal Project Manager at Systems Limited
Beneficial jQuery function, easy design creation, and scalable

• "One of the most valuable features is querying because the jQuery function is very good. Additionally, we can create good designs very easily."
  • "Jira should allow you to create and develop pipelines easily. In India, we have to purchase them separately or integrate other data tools. All these tools should be in Jira."

What is our primary use case?

We are using primarily using Jira for the project and issue tracking mostly.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There are too many restrictions in Jira. In DevOps, you can access the dashboards easily, but in Jira, you should have more administration rights. In our organization, there are some restrictions on creating dashboards and other features. Everything should be accessible with all access rights for everyone.

Jira should allow you to create and develop pipelines easily. In India, we have to purchase them separately or integrate other data tools. All these tools should be in Jira.

I have used Jira for approximately 12 years.

Jira is stable.

In my experience Jira is scalable.

The technical support has been satisfactory but could be better.

I have used DevOps and the main difference between DevOps and Jira is the test cases. You can have test cases in DevOps, but not in Jira. This is what I have observed in my recent comparison. Jira has jQuery and it is far better than what they have in DevOps. There are some filtration and grouping settings in DevOps which I do not like.

The initial setup is easy.

Jira is expensive and a lot of people are choosing DevOps because they are cheaper, open-source, easy to use, and have basic licenses. Jira should decrease its price to be more competitive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Jira an eight out of ten.

GkTan
Managing Director at Nevigate Communications (S) Pte Ltd
Has good informatics, it captures what we need

• "The informatics is the most valuable feature. It captures what we need."
  • "The GUI should have much better features like more graphical illustrations. There are some cases or benchmarks that we are trying to capture into a dashboard GUI's graphical summary, but unfortunately JIRA is not able to do that."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our own network operations, and integrating via API with our customers network operations teams.

How has it helped my organization?

It created excellent data points and summary with up-to-minute information.

What is most valuable?

The informatics is the most valuable feature. It captures what we need.

The user interface could be better, but the stability is definitely there and the accuracy is good.

What needs improvement?

The GUI should have much better features like more graphical illustrations. There are some cases or benchmark data that we are trying to capture and customised into a graphical pie chart summary dashboard, but unfortunately JIRA is not able to do that.

We implemented JIRA six months ago.

The stability is good. We have around ten users as a start.

Impressive

We have contacted technical support. Their response was prompt.

The initial setup is not that difficult, but it's not that simple either. That is why it took us  about three to six months to get it up and finalized.

Via our in-house.

Right now the price is fair but once they move to the cloud, that model may not be attractive anymore.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent tool to summarize and get our stacks of data into a platform for operational overview and interface tracking. It is very useful for us.

I would rate JIRA a nine out of ten. Not a ten because of the GUI pie chart. The beauty of the dashboard is not perfect, so I subtracted some points.

Hybrid Cloud
Kalimuthuraja Sureshkumar
Automation Architect at Micro Focus
Useful dashboards, effective reports, and updates quickly

• "The dashboard and reports tracking and the setup updates quickly, I am very impressed with those features. Additionally, it is user-friendly."
  • "The integration of Jira could improve. The solution should be able to integrate easily with other solutions, such as ERPs. There are times the solution can be slow and we have to reset it over and over again."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira for requirement and defect management. Not for DevOps purposes, only application development.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard and reports tracking and the setup updates quickly, I am very impressed with those features. Additionally, it is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release, they should improve the user management features. For example, when I want to monitor a project as a CEO I do not want all the details but enough that I can understand. Additionally, these features should be accessible to me by mobile.

I have been using Jira for approximately two years.

Jira is a reliable solution for that medium-sized organizations. It's not for enterprise-level organizations, they have a long way to go.

The scalability has to be improved more because Jira currently is similar to a standalone solution with very limited integration. The integration with other products has to be more.

We have approximately 50,000 people using the solution.

We use our own IT department for the technical support of Jira.

The initial setup was complex.

We used to be on a perpetual license provided by our clients.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. Any new startup company can start with Jira immediately because it is now offered in the cloud.

I rate Jira a nine out of ten.

Senior DevOps/Build Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Easy to learn, good interface, and responsive technical support

• "Jira has a useful user interface and overall is easy to understand and learn."
  • "Performance is something that can always be improved upon in a feature release. Additionally, it would be a benefit to add Markdown in Jira because sometimes it might be better to describe everything in Markdown because it is a common language structure."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira to create releases, tasks, sprints, and collaborate within teams. The solution can be deployed on both the cloud or on-premise.

What is most valuable?

Jira has a useful user interface and overall is easy to understand and learn.

What needs improvement?

Performance is something that can always be improved upon in a feature release. Additionally, it would be a benefit to add Markdown in Jira because sometimes it might be better to describe everything in Markdown because it is a common language structure.

I have been using Jira for approximately eight years.

Jira's stability could improve. We have experienced times when we were out of memory which is possible due to a memory leak. It is hard to pinpoint the cause, it could be the operating system.

I have had to contact the support when I had some questions about the upgrading process and they answered in a timely manner.

I have previously used a comparable solution to Jira and the largest benefit was it was free.

The setup is not difficult. I have done it a few times in Kubernetes and did upgrades, the experience was straightforward.

There are other solutions that are free making this solution seem expensive in comparison.

What other advice do I have?

I have found the cloud deployment better than the on-premise. However, for those wanting to implement this solution, I would advise them to compare the pros and cons of each before making their selection.

I rate Jira a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
JZ
Director of operations at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable ecosystem with a plethora of use cases

What is our primary use case?

There are so many use cases for Jira. If it's got something to do with IT, it will be covered by Jira. They have a very extensive marketplace and you can find nearly every solution there, including version controlling, source control for the code, automation, test automation, security scanning, configuration, and development management.

What is most valuable?

What I find valuable about Jira is that it's an ecosystem. Sometimes, it does not provide the best-in-class solutions, but it's so well integrated. You will not have many problems with integration.

What needs improvement?

The transfer of the functionality between testing or pre-production and the production environment could be improved. It would be helpful to have more automation in this area.…

What needs improvement?

I have been using this product for three years.

In general, the core of the product is very stable.

Approximately 150 users use this product at our company. One comment I would have regarding scalability is that I noticed Jira is not yet ready for the Docker platform. I think they are working on this and it will improve the scalability of the product.

Overall, their support is okay. Many topics are covered in their documentation or on Atlassian. We receive support from a local partner.

We previously used SISA.

The initial installation was straightforward for us. What could be improved is the migration between the testing and production environments. This could be automated somehow as the manual transfer of certain workflows and functionalities is very time consuming right now.

PH
Deputy Director - Network/Systems and Support - IT department (USJ) at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple to adapt the solution and change the workflow

• "It's very simple to change the workflow and adapt it. Jira is very user friendly for the agent and the user."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira as a help desk, an IDSM. We use it on a daily basis. Every ticket gets opened on it.

What is most valuable?

It's very simple to change the workflow and adapt it. Jira is very user friendly for the agent and the user.

What needs improvement?

It's a very customizable solution, but as a customer, we're always looking for additional customization. There could be better customization in future releases. If we changed from Atlassian to another product, we would look for a customizable solution.

I have been using this solution for many years.

The stability of Jira is good. We haven't had any issues with stability or performance.

It's a license-based software, so if you pay more for the license, the solution becomes more scalable.

Customer support is usually good. I have had no issues with them.

Setup was straightforward. There is no dedicated team for maintenance. Our IT department handles that. It's a simple solution.

There are no additional costs to the standard licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 10 out of 10. I recommend Jira. For the time being, everything is good. Their support is good. The platform is good. There are no issues with them on any level. We mainly picked Jira because of its stability, integration, and price. If a solution is well integrated in our environment, and it's not costly, why not configure it?

The biggest thing I have taken away from working with Jira is that it's very simple.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.