Barış Külah
Software Development Manager at System Optima
Allows us to do bulk edits, integrates well with Bitbucket, and is very stable

• "We love the bulk edit feature. Jira also integrates well with Bitbucket."
  • "Workflows can be improved. We don't use workflows because we can't handle that much complexity. Its interface could be more intuitive for workflows."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for our in-house projects. We use Jira Cloud and Bitbucket. We are not actively using Confluence.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a small company. We can manage our project tasks with other tools, but I prefer to use Jira on the cloud because people forget what they have done, and we need to see who did which task and when.

What is most valuable?

We love the bulk edit feature. Jira also integrates well with Bitbucket

What needs improvement?

Workflows can be improved. We don't use workflows because we can't handle that much complexity. Its interface could be more intuitive for workflows.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is very stable. I have been using this solution for three years, and I never had to contact their support.

It is scalable. We have six people who use Jira at the moment, and they don't have any issues related to slow response. Everything is fine for now.

I never had to contact their support.

In this company, I have only used Jira. In earlier companies, I have used other tools such as Microsoft Project, Redmine, and Service Bus.

It is easy to set up. We can use project templates. We can use classic projects templates or create new templates. Classic is enough for us. Our management doesn't want reports from us. We use templates for our daily progress.

Its price is good and similar to other products. It is about five or six dollars per user.

What other advice do I have?

I got it set up when I joined this company, and now I manage users here. It has integration with Bitbucket. It is fine for us.

I would rate Jira a nine out of 10.

DL
Global Senior Manager at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Flexible, easy to use, and simple to learn

• "It's flexible and it can provide a lot of different options, such as dashboards, that you can create and manage."
  • "Sometimes the solution doesn't communicate well with other platforms. It's quite difficult to integrate things and make the data flow from A to B, to Jira, and then back to other areas."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for project management.

What is most valuable?

The product is quite easy to use and simple to navigate.

The solution isn't too difficult to learn.

It's flexible and it can provide a lot of different options, such as dashboards, that you can create and manage. You can really tailor-make your own dashboard depending on your needs.

It's quick and very stable.

I don't see many issues while I'm using it.

You can basically communicate with all kinds of different teams that are using Jira and you can do that under the product, as a single platform.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the solution doesn't communicate well with other platforms. It's quite difficult to integrate things and make the data flow from A to B, to Jira, and then back to other areas.

Nowadays, you see a lot of product management tools, like monday.com and they are very user-friendly. They offer features that allow for cosmetic changes, and you can actually change the color and the form to your own liking. ira is lacking some of that flexibility. It's not critical, however, for the wider user base, many would like to see that.

I've been using the solution for three years. It's been a while.

Overall, the performance of the tool is quite reliable with few bugs or glitches, and it runs very fast in the browser It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can handle a lot of tickets. I've seen it handle more than 10,000 with no problem. It's almost unlimited in terms of scalability.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'm using the latest version of the solution right now. I cannot speak to the exact version number we are on currently.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities.

I would recommend the solution, as it is quite powerful.

Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AM
Project Manager at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Versatile, and customizable, but the core product lacks critical standard functionality

• "The various product styles that you can work with, such as Kanban and Scrum boards, are the most valuable features of Jira."
  • "I would like to see additional possibilities for reporting."

What is most valuable?

The various product styles that you can work with, such as Kanban and Scrum boards, are the most valuable features of Jira. They are completely customizable to meet the requirements of your project.

It allows you to create forms with the fields that you need.

Jira is a flexible solution.

What needs improvement?

Some essential standard functionality is missing from the core product. You have to work with extensions that you must purchase from the market.

You are not permitted to add these add-ons if you are a project manager rather than an administrator, as I am.

I'm curious why certain features are not included with the core application.

I would like to see additional possibilities for reporting. Reporting is the most important functionality to be extended.

If you use project management methods, as we do in Switzerland, you must provide several reports outside of the system. This is extremely difficult to provide to our boss.

I have been working with Jira for one year. It's quite new for us.

I have not had any contact with technical support.

I am currently conducting research for a project. I collect the information for projects that we are interested in.

There are two or three different projects at this time.

What other advice do I have?

I don't exactly use the tools, I am a project manager.

When you begin a project, you must consider how you intend to manage it. When you don't use Jira correctly, it won't solve any problems you have as a project manager.

You will need to consider how you want to structure your project before implementing it.

Preparation in Jira does not end with fields and tasks. You should also think about how you intend to manage these tasks. Although you may not always work in HL environments, you may use Jira. You'll need to think about how you'll do it when you're not working on an HL project but have Jira to use.

I would rate Jira a seven out of ten.

Anthony Martin
Senior IT Project Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Very stable with valuable Kanban boards, but needs better reporting capabilities for customized reports

• "Kanban boards are most valuable"
  • "The reporting capabilities, specifically customized reports, should be improved. The out-of-box reports don't meet our needs. We are big into customizing our reports, and being able to do ad hoc reporting would be good."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for bug tracking and new feature development. We have its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Kanban boards has allowed us to become a flow-based organization versus a sprint-based organization.

What is most valuable?

Kanban boards are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The reporting capabilities, specifically customized reports, should be improved. The out-of-box reports don't meet our needs. We are big into customizing our reports, and being able to do ad hoc reporting would be good.

I have been using Jira for about three and a half years.

It has been very stable.

I believe it has been scaling. I don't really work with that group, and I am not sure. We've got at least a thousand people on it, and to my knowledge, it has been fine at least for our needs. It is being used extensively in our company. We don't have any plans to increase its usage.

I have not had any interface with their technical support.

I have used Microsoft Team Foundation Server in the past. I switched to Jira because of the job change. Microsoft Team Foundation Server had a number of features that I don't see in Jira. It had good visual charting.

I wasn't a part of that group.

What other advice do I have?

There are some good and valuable tool plugins that make it a much better tool. I've got plugins that cover most of the features that were lacking. There are some specific plugins that are targeted for specific kinds of use cases.

I would rate Jira a seven out of ten. It all comes down to reporting. It should have better and more robust reporting.

Puneet
Senior Manager at Capgemini
Solid solution for agile, iterative, and incremental development

• "The burndown chart is also helpful when it comes to reporting and allows us to know where we are going, especially during development."
  • "The initial setup was a bit problematic in terms of getting access to Jira. That goes for a few users, including me."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for Jira is agile development as a systems integrator. The best use case is to pile up the backlog and then assign those backlogs stories to the user stories, which will be filtered into a sprint. Each story is then assigned to a cross-functional team member for tracking the dependencies and progress on the user story. You can also tag the user story to a particular team.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me has been tagging. Also, there's the option to add task lists to each user story. In addition, user stories can be grouped into one feature, which allows us to visualize our progress. The burndown chart is also helpful when it comes to reporting and allows us to know where we are going, especially during development.

I have used Jira for a total of seven months.

Jira is a reliable solution. In fact, it is not only used for user stories. It is used as an issue tracker tool as well. So I think it supports multiple use cases, which is good.

Multiple users have logged into it at the same time without running into any issues. At my current organization, some 25 people use it. At my previous organization, about 40 people used it. We have plans to increase usage.

I have not had to call up their tech support. They have plenty of troubleshooting documentation online.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution and a very popular one, as well. So I would recommend it if you are going for agile methodology. It works for both iterative and incremental development. You should use it.

This is a solid solution for medium to large companies.

SC
Lead Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Very good capabilities and workflow administration is simple

• "Workflow administration is an easy process, especially with respect to defects."
  • "End-to-end management from product backlog to test completion could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

As a lead consultant, I assess the testing maturity and suggest how our clients can improve what they're doing. I also carry out training sessions for Jira and other solutions as to how they can effectively use the solution.

What is most valuable?

I like the ease with which we can do our workflow administration, especially with respect to defects. We can do good work with the boards, whether it's a Kanban or a Scrum board. It's much easier with Jira than with other tools.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved with respect to how the end-to-end is managed from product backlog creation until test completion. Although it can be customized, if there was a standard out-of-view box feature or a workflow, that would be helpful. There are features that are currently not out of the box and lack end-to-end traceability, such as the business value of a particular feature. It would be great if that were included.

I've been using this solution for over two and a half years.

The product is stable.

We are currently working with an enterprise client and we are able to scale easily.

Jira's technical support is good.

I previously used HP ALM, as well as TestRail, which is now focused more on test management. ALM was the major tool that I used before we started using Jira.

The licensing costs are reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

This tool has good capabilities but you really need to know what you want to do and freeze down your requirements before using it. It can be challenging when people don't understand the difference between Kanban and Scrum, and how you use those boards effectively.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

José ANgel Aguirre Abad
Manager at M2C
Stable, competitive price, and easy to deploy and use

• "It is easy to deploy in the cloud and other environments. It is also easy to view the reports of the sprint review or the sprint plan and the relation between the backlog and the repositories."
  • "I am not sure if Jira can be integrated with our ERP. We have our ERP for the cost estimates or measurements. It would be nice if we can check or view a plan with the real cost. Currently, we have to do a double check of costs. It would be better to be able to integrate it with Jira."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for project management and agile scrum projects. I am a manager, and I work with backlog tools and sprint plans. I only use Jira for backlogs, sprint reviews, and data reports. Our project manager is the person who is really working with Jira along with the team. We also have Confluence and Bitbucket. We use CloudBees and DevOps for the deployment of the environment.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to deploy in the cloud and other environments. It is also easy to view the reports of the sprint review or the sprint plan and the relation between the backlog and the repositories.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure if Jira can be integrated with our ERP. We have our ERP for the cost estimates or measurements. It would be nice if we can check or view a plan with the real cost. Currently, we have to do a double check of costs. It would be better to be able to integrate it with Jira.

I have been using Jira for almost one year.

I don't work too much with Jira. I use it only to see the reports, and I don't feel that there are many bugs. It is stable.

It is not too expensive. It is just comparative to other tools like Microsoft Teams.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We are interested in migrating to Jira and using it as our internal tool for agile projects and for controlling the IT software development cycle for projects like consulting or API. It will be more used for agile projects. It is a good tool. We also have the latest version of Microsoft Teams, but it is limited. It is better to use Jira.

I would rate Jira a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
CB
Manager, PMO at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Intuitive dashboards with good visibility, stable, and easy to set up

• "The dashboards are useful."
  • "For a non-technical person to use, Jira is not intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for task tracking, sprint planning, and backlog.

What is most valuable?

The dashboards are useful. You have visibility across projects and various dashboards.

The status of the different activities is also helpful

What needs improvement?

In general, it is not user-friendly.

For a non-technical person to use, Jira is not intuitive. If you are a developer it's fine, but we are trying to get other technical people in to look at tasks or to update a task, move it from one sprint to another sprint and it takes more effort than I would like.

I would just like to see it easier to use, and I would like the workflows to be less complex to do what we need them to do.

My experience with Jira is limited, but the organization has been using Jira for three years.

We are using the latest version.

Jira is stable. to my knowledge, we have not had any issues with bugs or glitches.

The scalability can be complex if you are using workflows.

We have approximately 20 developers and some managers in our organization who use Jira.

I have not yet used Jira technical support.

Previously, we did not use another solution. We started with Jira.

Along with Jira, we use Microsoft Azure DevOps.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward.

It was fairly simple for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend getting sound knowledge first. It is difficult to go back later to fix things, so try to build it right the first time.

For the functionality that exists, I think that it's good.

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.