Juniper Ethernet Switches Overview

Juniper Ethernet Switches is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: Juniper Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches

What is Juniper Ethernet Switches?

Juniper Ethernet Switches are made up of the EX Series product line. These EX Series Ethernet Switches provide branch, campus and data center networks with access, aggregation and core layer switching solutions. The end result is secure, fast and efficient application and data delivery.

Today's enterprise networks increasingly demand mobile access, optimal availability, virtualization, and unified communications. The Juniper Ethernet Switches EX Series caters for all of these requirements, ensuring business continuity, network flexibility and maximum productivity.

Juniper Ethernet Switches is also known as Juniper EX Series.

Juniper Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Juniper Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Juniper Ethernet Switches Customers

BlackLotus, Staminus, Community Bank, BAS Group, Cloud Dynamics, Privalia, Fluidata, and Tesla Motors.

Juniper Ethernet Switches Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Juniper Ethernet Switches pricing:
  • "The Juniper switches are less expensive than competing brands."
  • "Juniper costs less than the competition. As a comparison, Cisco is 33% more."
  • "The maintenance cost is approximately €2,000 ($2,200 USD) per year, including support, for our entire fleet."
  • "We purchased the box for a one-time charge, and we are paying a yearly support fee of several hundred Euros."
  • "The pricing for the support is very high."
  • "You don't need to license every switch. We only chose to cover support on core/key equipment and keep a cold spare available when needed."

MM
Specialist in Network Security at RayanCo
Flexible admin features and has good firewall filters

What is our primary use case?

We use the layer three switches. We use it for routing, separating the VLANs, and for inter-VLAN routing. Also, we use the product's firewall filters.

• "This is a lower cost product with better features than the competition."
  • "The operating system, Junos OS, often has bugs which forces rollbacks or additional upgrades to resolve."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people who are considering using Juniper switches is to try them out because the Juniper brand is very good. I myself really like the Juniper devices because, in comparison to other products in this category, they are a very good value and are worth much more than the cost. These switches are much more stable and you have better performance than the other guys, so long as you are aware of the potential issues with the OS. I think I can say this in one sentence: you can have better performance at a lower price if you choose Juniper. The biggest lesson I have learned from using…
Neil Griggs
CEO at Enterprise Design Group
An impeccable solution that services any size business and competes with the biggest brand names

What is our primary use case?

A lot of our deployments are hybrid cloud that we do for clients. We are personally using an on-premises installation. Our clients' use cases for Juniper Ethernet Switches are pretty broad as far as the industries covered. There are clients that are urgent care facilities, physician's offices, legal offices, restaurants — it really runs across the boards as far as industries. The USDA has a number of Juniper switches that we put in for them.

• "One of the nicest things about Juniper switches is they work well with other vendor products. When you have to go into a situation where other vendor switches are present, you can make it work."
  • "You willuse almost every feature on every switch to some degree because the utility is valuable."
  • "There is no end to the ability to scale Juniper."
  • "This solution is impeccable."
  • "The security features for the product should be more unified for the product regardless of the product model."
  • "We need to start seeing some kind of AI to assist with some of what we really want to accomplish from a policy standpoint to achieve better efficiency."

What other advice do I have?

Whether you are on the lower end of the business scale with a smaller portfolio, or whether you are a Fortune 500 or 1000 company, you can not go wrong with Juniper's back-end products. It is a cost-effective solution in comparison to the competition. I do not like to have to touch switches or routers or anything of that nature unless I am doing a new configuration or a firmware upgrade. The Juniper product helps me with that by having impeccable reliability. Saying that this solution is impeccable could be the entirety of my review. I have been a network architect for a long time. At one time…
Learn what your peers think about Juniper Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Darrin Khan
Compliance, Security & Testing Manager at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to manage and provides a reliable core for our public-facing infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

We are using multiple EX4200 Virtual Chassis Stacks in an on-premises deployment. The way we have it configured is that it is our core switch model that holds up our entire infrastructure.

• "The ease of management through the command line interface is very good."
  • "It would be nice to have a more available list of modules that you can get for this solution."

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking at this solution from an ethernet switching point of view, we don't use any of the in-depth features. We selected this solution for its reliability and ease of management on the command line. My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to plan it out in advance. Other than that, they're relatively straightforward. There are no major issues or items that I could call out as a problem. It's just a case of making sure that you plan our your deployment before you start. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
MB
Federal Field Systems Engineer at a government with 51-200 employees
Flexible, good performance, and easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers and we are vendor agnostic. We try to find a solution that best fits the customer's needs and this is one of the products that we implement for them.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the Junos operating system."
  • "Some areas of technical support could be better."

What other advice do I have?

You can have Junos as your operating system but if you wanted to write a script to automatically update all of the versions of your software, you can do that automatically. If you wanted to gather information, you can write a script using JSON, or Python. This is already available on the Junos operating system. Cisco is the most popular, but if you have seasoned or experienced people like DevOps that write code and they are engineers, then Juniper would be the better choice because they have the flexibility to do that. Cisco is starting to catch up now, where you can automate Cisco's switches…
CornelCristea
Network and Service Development Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Works well for aggregating traffic and has a standard CLI between devices

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for traffic aggregation. We connect multiple services to virtual infrastructure, connecting customers and aggregating traffic to the core. We have an on-premises deployment.

• "The most valuable feature is that the CLI is the same on all of the Juniper devices, including routers, switches, and firewalls."
  • "The protocols can be tunneled, but on a global basis, not on an interface, and this is a feature that should be added."

What other advice do I have?

There are many different types of switches in different categories. It is best to look, right from the beginning, at what features are needed. You do not want to pay for Enterprise licenses if you don't need those features. Be sure to look at the right family in order to protect your investment in the future. For example, if you want to go from 1G to 10G to 25G, then they will need to buy a new product. Going from 10G to 25G can be done on the same machine if it is from the right family. The planning makes it easier to upgrade bandwidth in the future, protecting your investment. This is a good…
SB
System Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, high capacity switches but the pricing for support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are solution providers. We offer many solutions to customers and the Juniper Ethernet Switches are part of our offering.

• "The virtual Chassis feature for stacking is good in general, with high bandwidth for the link, which is good."
  • "The management platforms for the network need improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend these switches, but what I would also highly recommend along with this new trend or new experience is to at least get training for Juniper configuration, at least the basics. Training will help you be more familiar with it. You will at least have the basics in case of maintenance or troubleshooting. Juniper has good documentation for its ethernet switches. I would rate Juniper switches a seven out of ten.
D6B8
District Technology at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
Junos is extremely flexible and easy to pick up

What is our primary use case?

We currently use Juniper for all of our switching/routing infrastructure. Core, aggregate, and access layers are all made up of Juniper components. We also procured and use Junos Space as well as Network Director.

• "Junos OS is extremely flexible and easy to pick up."
  • "The management tools are limited in their abilities, and suffer from upgrade problems."
  • "The updates are constantly breaking."

What other advice do I have?

It works with third-party SFPs.
Vishnu Suresh
IT Administrator at RC Network Solutions Pvt Ltd
Good operational efficiency, easy to configure, and a good user interface

What is our primary use case?

We provide network solutions to our clients and Juniper Ethernet Switches are one of the devices that we install and configure for them. We are certified by Juniper to work with these switches. This solution makes up part of the physical network. We had one big project where we had to deploy Juniper switches with a firewall.

• "The GUI interface distinguishes it from other vendors and makes it easy to operate."
  • "In the next release of this solution, I would like to see better integration with software-defined networking."

What other advice do I have?

In general, I cannot find anything that is bad about this product. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
See 13 more Juniper Ethernet Switches Reviews
Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Juniper Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.