Malwarebytes OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Malwarebytes is the #20 ranked solution in our list of endpoint security software. It is most often compared to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint: Malwarebytes vs Microsoft Defender for Endpoint

What is Malwarebytes?

Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection is delivered via Malwarebytes cloud-based endpoint management platform, is an advanced threat prevention solution for endpoints that uses a layered approach with multiple detection techniques. Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection employs multiple techniques to identify and defend against attacks at all stages of the attack chain using a highly effective mix of signature-less and matching-technology layers working both pre- and post-execution. Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection leverages our Linking Engine technology to remove all traces of infections and related artifacts - not just the primary threat payload. Its Endpoint Protection technology reduces the vulnerability surface, making the endpoint more resilient.

Malwarebytes Buyer's Guide

Download the Malwarebytes Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Malwarebytes Customers

Knutson Construction

Malwarebytes Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Malwarebytes pricing:
  • "Its cost is around $60 a machine. The cost of the total solution for 250 people is about $8,500 a year. If we add EDR to it, it will bring that cost up to about $15,000. The cost for Carbon Black is about $25,000, which is $10,000 more, but you get all AI functions with it."
  • "The cost may be something in the ballpark of $20-25 a year per computer."

ER
Systems Administrator at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
Intuitive, easy to use, and does a good job of catching and stopping things for the most part and has a unique rollback feature

What is our primary use case?

We just needed something that was intuitive and easy to use. It had a good record for catching viruses in the wild and things like that. We have the cloud endpoint solution, so it is cloud Malwarebytes or the cloud EPP.

• "It is intuitive and easy to use. For the most part, it does a good job of catching things. It is good at stopping stuff. I did a couple of tests with a password cracker. I tried to load that on, and Malwarebytes didn't let me do that, which was pretty good. It has a rollback feature that I haven't seen with any other company. If one of your endpoints are hit with mass ransomware, you could actually roll it back. I watched a demo of them do that, and it was pretty sweet."
  • "The EPP solution lacks the sophisticated artificial intelligence required for automating reports and letting you know about things in real-time. It stops a suspicious activity in real-time, but it doesn't let you know in real-time. You have to look at a report, and then you find out that something is wrong. You have to manually kick off a scan. With the Advanced EDR solutions, Malwarebytes has the ability to alert you in real-time, but they still don't do automatic remediation or quarantining of devices. That is something that you still have to do manually. So, the endpoint protection piece, which is just like their basic endpoint protection, lacks AI. For the advanced detection and response piece, there is an add-on that comes with it, but it still doesn't go far enough in terms of automatic remediation of viruses. It won't separate that virus from your network if something happens. You have to manually go there and do it."

What other advice do I have?

If you're a small company with less than 500 people, the Malwarebytes EDR solution is a good fit. It is also a good solution if: * You don't have any DOD requirements for your data. * You don't have a lot of PPI. * You don't have a lot of confidential documents in your environment. If you have strict DOD regulations or something like that, you might want to look at Carbon Black and Trend Micro. I would rate Malwarebytes an eight out of ten.
AS
Cyber Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
This product does not provide what it needs to or what it says it does for proper Endpoint Detection and Response

What is our primary use case?

My job position is Cybersecurity Engineer. We use the solution as an EDR or endpoint detection response. As EDR is, it is not the primary endpoint protection as it can not control the risk. This product is working as behavior monitoring for the end users. These monitoring products are not controlling the endpoint. For controlling the endpoint, you can use EPP (Endpoint Protection) products like Symantec Endpoint Protection, Trend Micro Endpoint Protection, one that was called OfficeScan — now the updated one is called Apex One — or other strong endpoint protection solutions like Sophos… more »

• "The dashboard actually is good and it is simple."
  • "The product has major problems in almost every facet of setup and use including setup, configuration, lack of functionality, lack of stability, false positives, questionable reporting, inability to protect from randsomeware and poor technical support and development."

What other advice do I have?

I have a lot of baggage with this product because of problems I have with the customers, the implementation, the configuration, the settings — it is very, very troublesome. There are various players on the course now. Some solutions may perform better. I have had a bad experience with Malwarebyte in general. There are a lot of issues I have caught. I wrote these issues down to compile them and then I sent the information to Malwarebyte. Over some time, there was no improvement from the research and development or technical support from this vendor. I have only a few words about this product…
Learn what your peers think about Malwarebytes. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Nir Frumer
CEO at Informática 010
Reseller
Easy to configure and easy to use with reasonable pricing

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as a security feature that's very low-maintenance. We just put it in and leave it, and it actually defends us in a proper way.

• "The pricing of the product is very good."
  • "The interface could be improved. Currently, you need to really dig around to find the elements you need."

What other advice do I have?

We're resellers and customers. We use it in our organization and we also sell it. We sell the solution when we think it is the correct option for our client, and as long as a client doesn't come with a special request. Obviously, we sell what the clients want and what is in their best interest. We're using the latest version of the solution. We're paying a subscription and therefore the updates are automatically added. The product is great. It's straightforward and it does what we need it to do. Overall, I would rate the product at an eight out of ten.
Veer Sharma
Branch Manager at Datec (Fiji) Limited
Scalable with good technical support and a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

One of the reasons we use the solution is to protect the endpoints. Plus we are also using the EDR facility to protect servers and for emergency response. As for Malwarebytes, they will be able to help us track how the malware activities happened, which can help us in the restoration process. We haven't come across anything where we had to use these services or use the tool to recover anything. We haven't come to that yet.

• "The solution is very good at scanning."
  • "We have noticed that when the solution is doing the scanning, all the scanning activities make the device heavier. It slows down your machine."

What other advice do I have?

We're an official partner in Fiji. We use both on-premises and cloud-based deployment models. I'd recommend the solution to others. That said, I always recommend a POC is done first to see if it will properly fulfill a company's needs. Overall, I would rate the product at an eight out of ten.
MR
Lead Cyber Engineer at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, stable, and able to effectively detect unwanted programs

What is our primary use case?

I use Malwarebytes as a backup, an alternative antivirus if you like.

• "I like the solution's ability to detect potentially unwanted programs. For some reason, it seems superior to other solutions, or at least in comparison to McAfee."
  • "If they want to compete with bigger players, they should consider adding items like threat detection and website warnings."

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a user and a customer. I don't have a professional relationship with the solution. I'm using the latest version of the solution. I've lost the real-time scanning, so I use McAfee for that. I use Malwarebytes as a backup, an alternative antivirus. If I think my system's got something wrong with it, I'll scan it on McAfee, and then I'll scan it on Malwarebytes as well. There's a difference. I commonly recommend Malwarebytes to people due to the fact that I find it quite reliable. All things considered, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's not like the big boys - the TrendMicros…
JT
Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Stops all ransomware attacks and is easy to manage

What is our primary use case?

One of our clients right now is using Malwarebytes for their endpoint security, and they were part of a security assessment we ran. This organization was hit by ransomware and therefore getting a solution specifically that addressed ransomware was of primary importance.

• "The solution has a good management interface."
  • "Overall, I haven't found any ways the solution lacks in features or usability."

What other advice do I have?

We've never resold Malwarebytes. We've just worked with customers that had already begun using it. This is one of the best solutions for ransomware. It deploys as one would expect, and it manages as one would hope. It's perfectly fine for small to mid-tier organizations and I would say that it works as advertised. I'd give them an eight out of ten. Sophos Intercept X is probably technologically more rigorous and it has some technical advantages for Sophos users in that that it can integrate with the firewalls and have incident response capabilities. However, Malwarebytes is perfectly fine on…
AM
System Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides a level of confidence that no malware will infiltrate the system

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is something I'm using myself, on my own computer. It sits in the background, works very well and does what you expect it to do. I'm using the free version at the moment but I'm considering getting the premium version because it's a pretty good product. My working environment is Windows, but my own personal preference is Mac, a Mac OS which I own. I have the solution on 24/7.

• "Being able to carry out a full scan on your system."
  • "Notifications are lacking."

What other advice do I have?

The product is a client on my system at the moment. I think it gets a lot of its information, its virus signatures, things like that, from a cloud service. I can see that it takes a second to download new virus signatures and things. It's obviously getting its information from their website, so the real intelligence is based remotely. I would very highly recommend this product and would rate it an eight out of 10.
AA
Assistant Executive Manager (IT) at lembaga zakat negeri kedah
Easy to install, good technical support, and offers effective monitoring

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a form of protection against attacks.

• "The installation process is very easy, especially since it is on the cloud."
  • "The online reporting needs to be improved. Currently, we have to look at it online, and if we want to download a report, it just downloads as an Excel file. It's just raw information. There needs to be some way to better display it when it's downloaded."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and end-user. We don't have any special association with the company. Malwarebytes provides the cloud for our organization. I'm not sure of the version number is of the solution we are currently using. For a company with about 100 or more PC units, the solution is quite effective. It makes monitoring easy. There's also a lot of reporting that can be done, and the solution provides protection for a lot of applications including Windows and Zoom. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
See 3 more Malwarebytes Reviews
Download our free Malwarebytes Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.