Micro Focus UFT One Overview

Micro Focus UFT One is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Functional Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Tricentis Tosca: Micro Focus UFT One vs Tricentis Tosca

What is Micro Focus UFT One?

Micro Focus UFT One simplifies end-to-end functional testing using intelligent test automation and embedded AI-based capabilities to accelerate testing across web, mobile, desktop, mainframe, API, and composite and packaged enterprise-grade apps.

QA and Testing teams can efficiently scale tests across distributed infrastructures and in parallel on web and mobile; script once and replay all tests with cross-browser support; and leverage a broad ecosystem of integrations from version control to continuous integration to agile and DevOps.

With support of 200+ technologies including SAP, Salesforce, Java, Citrix and more, UFT One increases test coverage from the UI to the API—and everything in between—for true multi-platform application testing.

Micro Focus UFT One is also known as Unified Functional Testing, Micro Focus UFT (QTP), QTP, Quick Test Pro, QuickTest Professional, HPE UFT (QTP).

Micro Focus UFT One is also known as UFT (QTP), Micro Focus UFT (QTP), QTP, Quick Test Pro, QuickTest Professional, HPE UFT (QTP).

Micro Focus UFT One Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus UFT One Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Micro Focus UFT One Customers

Sage, JetBlue, Haufe.Group, Independent Health, Molina Healthcare, Cox Automotive, and
TMNA Services

Micro Focus UFT One Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus UFT One pricing:
  • "The way the pricing model works is that you pay a whole boatload year one. Then, every year after, it is around half or less. Because instead of paying for the new product, you are just paying for the support and maintenance of it. That is probably one of the biggest things that I hear from most people, even at conferences, "Yeah, I would love to use UFT One, but we don't have a budget for it.""
  • "The pricing fee is good. If someone makes use of the solution once a day for a half hour then the fee will be more expensive. For continuous use and application of the solution to different use cases, the fee is average."
  • "Compared to other tools in the market, UFT One is very competitive. The recent Covid pandemic situation also hit customer budgets significantly, so Micro Focus offered some discounted prices, which is definitely competitive."
  • "The price is only $3,000. I don't know how many QA analysts you would have in any given company. Probably no more than five or 10. So if it's a large corporation, it can easily afford $15,000 to $25,000. I don't see that being an issue."

Chris Trimper
Test Automaton Architect at Independent Health
Testers have been able to free up their time: instead of doing mundane, repetitive tasks, they shift them off to automation

What is our primary use case?

We build helper utilities. For example, your particular test is one where when you do the test, you have 30 minutes of setup, but then at the end, you need a real human eye because it is brand new stuff and you don't know what to do. However, if you could have an automation build that 30 minutes worth of stuff and not be worried about it over and over again, thinking about it as your test prerequisite, then we have an awful lot of stuff for that. The real good stuff is that we have full-blown replacements for manual tasks, whether it would be for desktop applications or hybrid web… more »

• "For traditional automation, approximately half of our tests end up automated. Therefore, we are saving half the testing time by pushing it off to automation. That gives it an intrinsic benefit of more time for manual testers and business testers to work on possibly more important and interesting things. For some of our applications, they don't just have to do happy path testing anymore, they can go more in-depth and breadth into the process."
  • "Sometimes, the results' file size can be intense. I wish it was a little more compact."

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking to implement any tool, not just UFT One, you should always go into it with some form of use case or expectation of what you want to do. Opening up a tool and tinkering is never a good idea. If I sit you down in front of Photoshop, and just say, "Have fun.", I don't know what in the world is going to happen. But, if you go into it, and say, "Well, I need to be able to touch up these photos. I need to be able to do this," then those are use cases. Everybody starts with a super-duper happy path. "I want to be able to script logging into my application." That's great. "Now, I…
Don Ingerson
QA Automation Engineer at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
ExpertTop 5
With regularly occurring application releases, any QA team member can execute tests (regression suites) stored in ALM/Quality Center, let the tests run unattended, and then examine the results.
In my 10 plus years of hands-on experience using QTP (QuickTest Professional) and UFT (Unified Functional Testing), I have observed that there has been a lot of confusion among the testing community on what the difference is between the two tools. Therefore, I thought it would be beneficial to clarify what distinguishes UFT from QTP because it is important for the reader to know. QTP is a functional and regression automation tool originally developed and marketed by Mercury Interactive which HP acquired in 2006. In 2012, HP released UFT (Unified Functional Testing) version 11.5, which combined QuickTest Professional and HP Service Test into a single software package along with newly designed IDE (Integrated Development Environment). Before UFT, QTP and Service Test were two separate…
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus UFT One. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TA
Test Automation Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables us to quickly obtain detailed product behavior information, but continuous testing needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a front end for testing for our customers, to automate installations, for behavior testing, and for various types of API testing. We mostly use the technology on our websites, and sometimes on older technologies, such as for Oracle Forms applications.

• "Has improved our organization by allowing us to obtain fast, detailed information about the behavior of our products and to supply this to the customer, enabling us to work together without the need for special programming knowledge."
  • "There is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to friction-free continuous testing across the software life cycle, as a local installation is required to run UFT."

What other advice do I have?

The ability of the solution to cover multiple enterprise apps, technologies, and environments is very important to us and it forms part of our company policy. It is a point we had to validate before going with this solution. The reason for this is that we must meet the technical needs of our customers, many of whom lack a technical background. UFT One provides cross-browser and desktop application support, although the cross platform support, which is not good, is not so important to us at the moment. These capabilities are important to us because our customers are using different kinds of…
AJ
Test Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Helped us notably reduce manual testing efforts and pass the savings along to our client

What is our primary use case?

We are responsible for automation of the regression test cases. We have a standard set of regression test cases, which are comprised of SAP solutions, web-based applications, as well as some Windows-based applications. We have test cases which cater to each of these solutions individually. In addition, we have test cases to test things from end-to-end. That means the data has to flow from one application to another and it has to be validated. We write reusable pieces of code, which are stitched together to create the end-to-ends. In SAP, transaction codes are available and they are automated… more »

• "It is easy to automate and new personnel can start learning automation using UFT One. You don't have to learn any scripting."
  • "[Tech support is] not a 10 because what happens with some of our issues is that we might not get a patch quickly and we have to hold on to an application until we get a proper solution."

What other advice do I have?

From my experience, UFT One is good in terms of automation of multiple applications. For example, if you have five applications and any one of them is not suitable for automation by UFT One, you may have to re-think using it. But if all the applications are compatible with UFT One and you are able to automate, it's better to go with UFT One. We don't have much continuous testing in our process because we don't do Agile testing, but we do have some amount of testing for what we call "rapids," for defects or announcements. It is useful when it comes to the second or third sprints where there are…
Kishore Kandula
Practice Head - Automation at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
UFT One supports AI features to automate web and mobile applications

What is our primary use case?

UFT (erstwhile QTP) is a widely popular test automation tool. During my initial days, I have used UFT extensively to automate test cases. Now, with the latest version of Micro Focus UFT One, there are added features, which addresses the new-age testing requirements. In my current position as Practice Head of Test Automation competency at a Tier 1 company, we propose various befitting tools to our existing or new customers. Whenever we work on a particular solution or requirement, we propose automation tools to support the entire environment to support for an end to end automation. If my… more »

• "I like the Help feature in UFT One. For example, if you are navigating a particular window, where there are different options. One wouldn’t know the purpose of every option, but there is no need to search because that window contains a Help button. If you click on that Help button, it directly navigates to the respective help needed. VBScript is very easy to understand and easy to prepare scripts with minimal learning curve."
  • "UFT has a recording feature. They could make the recording feature window bigger for whatever activities that I am recording. It would improve the user experience if they could create a separate floating panel (or have it automatically show on the side) once the recording starts."

What other advice do I have?

If someone is new to test automation, we will typically propose UFT One. Micro Focus recently started offering UFT One as a PaaS, which has been helpful for our customers. I would rate this solution as a nine (out of 10).
VK
Senior Load Performance Consultant at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Improved overall efficiency and is stable and scalable

What is our primary use case?

The use cases for Micro Focus UFT One vary from one department to another. We've got so many applications within Dominion Energy, but as of now, most groups are scripting the test cases themselves, even though they're not programmers and they don't have a true understanding of Visual Basic, which is a language used to script QTP. So the groups out there are doing it independently. I think they're doing mostly a record and playback, data-driven approach, which means they parametrize the data. But they're not specifically programmers, they can't make those scripts very sophisticated. And that's… more »

• "On a scale of one to ten, I would give Micro Focus UFT One a 10 because it is a reliable product, it works, it's as good or better than similar solutions especially because you get technical support from real people. Additionally, upgrades are always provided on a consistent basis."
  • "They need to reduce the cost because it is pretty high. It's approximately $3,000 per user."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone regarding this solution is that if they have the money to purchase it, they could, but Selenium would be the first choice because it's more widely used. UFT quite expensive. It's about $3,000 per seat, whereas Selenium is free of charge. So if you had 20 users who need to use it, you'd have to spend close to $60,000 on QTP plus annual maintenance costs. Whereas with Selenium, it's free of charge and you get all the support you need on the internet. On a scale of one to ten, I would give Micro Focus UFT One a 10 because it is a reliable product, it works, it's as good or…
DR
Automation Test Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reduces test execution time, performance well for non-web-based applications, but the AI features need to be improved

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant in my organization and one of the tasks that I perform is to assist other users with technical issues. Specifically, with UFT One, I am currently evaluating the AI features. I want to experiment with them and find out how it all works so that we can take that information to our customers.

• "I find UFT One to be very good for thick clients, which are non-browser applications."
  • "The artificial intelligence functionality is applicable only on the web, and it should be expanded to cover non-web applications as well."

What other advice do I have?

In the past, UFT One did not support integration with third-party applications such as Jenkins and Bamboo. However, there are now some plugins that are available. My advice for others who are considering this product is that they are looking to automate non-web applications, then it is a good choice. For web-based applications, I would recommend another tool, such as Tricentis Tosca. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
NK
Lead Analyst at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Automation has helped reduce our testing timeline significantly

What is our primary use case?

We are working with a desktop-based application and we use the solution to automate testing of the application.

• "It helps in identifying defects earlier. With manual testing, that 15-day timeline meant there were times when we would find defects on the 11th or 12th day of the cycle, but with automation we are able to run the complete suite within a day and we are able to find the failures. It helps us to provide early feedback."
  • "We used to run it as a test suite. Micro Focus provides that in terms of a test management tool as ALM, but when we think of integrating with a distributed version control system, like Jenkins, there isn't much integration available. That means we need to make use of external solutions to make it work."

What other advice do I have?

Everyone has their own requirements, but based on my experience with UFT, I have found it to be very consistent. If anyone is looking to automate web-based or mobile-based applications, UFT is very good. My advice would be to try it and explore UFT a lot. Using it, we have learned how to design our framework and how to adapt it to improve our test suite. We have learned how to write effective test cases and how to improve the usability of the functions that we add. AI is kind of exciting but, at the same time, it's not available for desktop-based applications yet. So we are waiting to make use…
See 7 more Micro Focus UFT One Reviews
Download our free Micro Focus UFT One Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.