Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Configuration Management tools. It is most often compared to Ansible: Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager vs Ansible

What is Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager?

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (MECM, formerly SCCM or System Center Configuration Manager) is a software management suite that allows users to manage large numbers of Windows-based computers and servers.

Configuration Manager features software distribution, operating system deployment, remote control, network protection, security management, patch management, and hardware and software inventory, among other services. It allows you to set configuration and security policies, keep your software up-to-date, and monitor your system status while giving your employees access to corporate applications on whatever devices they choose.

Configuration Manager allows you to manage computers using macOS, Windows UNIX, or Linux, and mobile devices running iOS, Windows, or Android operating systems. It can be integrated with Microsoft Intune, allowing you to manage computers connected to a corporate network.

With Configuration Manager, you can manage PCs and servers, keeping software up-to-date, setting configuration and security policies, and monitoring system status while giving your employees access to corporate applications on the devices that they choose.

Benefits and Features

• Proactively manage all device life cycles, starting from purchase all the way to retirement.
  • Automatically deploy software as well as printers to devices, using a common software library.
  • Deploy upgrades and patches to your operating system.
  • Ensure that all devices are patched, encrypted, and secured in compliance with security best practices.
  • Provide mobile device management functionality, which includes the ability to reboot and/or lock devices remotely.
  • Provide end users with “self-service” so that they can update machines when it is convenient for them.

Reviews from Real Users:

Users of MECM like that it is stable and flexible. Patching is one of its most useful features, although users cite many other features as useful as well. One user stated that "It does what you need it to do, and it's a one-stop-shop for the company and for all your deployments." Overall, “the entire solution, from end to end, is excellent.

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager is also known as System Center Configuration Manager, SCCM .

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Customers

Bank Alfalah Ltd., Wªrth Handelsges.m.b.H, Dimension Data, Japan Business Systems, St. Lucie County Public Schools, MISC Berhad

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager pricing:
  • "The price model is different for every client."
  • "Pricing is negotiable with Microsoft, depending upon which of their packages you choose."

US
Information Technology Lead at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Works well with Windows, very stable, and can scale well

What is our primary use case?

Our main use is, first of all, to update the patches and to push the patches from SCCM, to check systems software, and to see which software is installed along with the systems. These are the major three things that we use on SCCM. We are on the endpoint side. We just ensure that the SCCM agent is installed appropriately. I have an on-site server also. There are the primary servers, and then there are site servers of SCCM. I have a site server also. With the site server, I have to make sure it is working and there is no hardware level or any other issue on these machines. This site server is… more »

• "The main, clear valuable feature is updating the latest, patches and updates from Windows. This is the main feature we really utilize a lot."
  • "Devices like smartphones and tablets are managed very well on VMware, however, they are absent in SCCM. I could configure iPad from the VMware site and it was done very easily. It should be just as possible on SCCM."

What other advice do I have?

We are at an endpoint site. The servers that are in our data center. I don't know which exact service-side version we are using at our data center. I would recommend SCCM to others. I've used it from scratch and with the new features, especially Intune. I do recommend the SCCM, especially in the Microsoft environment. VMware Workspace One is also good, from what I understand. The issue is they give very limited trial features. If they would give I full fledged trial base version of the VMware Workspace One, it would be easier for someone to completely evaluate the two. Microsoft gives you a…
OmidKoushki
Solution Architect at KIAN company
Flexible, great for patching on virtual machines, and pretty stable

What is our primary use case?

We are using SCCM to manage the virtual machine configuration. We had around 100 or 200 virtual machines and wireless, and we need to configure different settings on all of the virtual machines. We need to handle patching, updating, and installing security updates. We prefer to use System Center instead of other solutions like GFI LanGuard that are already installed in other environments.

• "It's helped us solve problems surrounding patching, installing, and reporting different patches, etc., on the virtual machines."
  • "Based on my experience with SCCM 2016, the main, big issue is not having a good user-friendly environment. It needs much better GUI."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. In the past, we used System Center version 2012, and after one year we upgraded to System Center 2016. Out of all the products in the market, the best solution is System Center, especially for Microsoft virtual machines and all services that are related to Microsoft Technologies. If you are evolving in the Microsoft environment, I prefer to use the System Center due to the fact that it includes different solutions like System Center Configuration Manager, System Center Operation Manager, System Center Virtual Backup. It's a full solution and provides different services…
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Abul Fazal
Service Delivery Manager at Almoayyed Computers
Easy to implement with good patching and has lots of new features in the pipeline

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for client management, especially for day-to-day operational activities, like access management or software deployment.

• "Microsoft is being very competitive right now, and they are really investing in a lot of new features to be more competitive in the marketplace."
  • "We'd like the solution to make it easier to manage remote users."

What other advice do I have?

We are a Microsoft gold partner. We're noticing many users in our country moving away from Microsoft and towards AWS. We tend to use the latest solution, or something close to that. We always are trying to keep it up to date in all the customer database and systems. Whenever there is the latest update available, we update everything immediately for our customers. The latest version may be 19.06. While all the customers we have are currently on-prem, we are looking for cloud-based solutions going forward, due to the fact that our customers tend to gravitate towards the cloud. They are like…
JP
Systems engineer - IT infrastructure management at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
An easy initial setup and very scalable and stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for client and server deployments, and software deployments, as well as software metering.

• "The initial setup is straightforward and not too complicated."
  • "With Microsoft Premier Support, you get what you pay for. There's Third Tier Support that you pay for. If you pay for that, you get excellent support, and if you don't pay for that, then you get the less experienced staff."

What other advice do I have?

We're a Microsoft customer. It's a very good product. The basic question is the size of the company itself that may want to implement the solution. the point is if you're big enough to afford an enterprise agreement, with Microsoft, then I would highly recommend it. It's a suite of products. If you're a small to medium business, which does not have an enterprise agreement with Microsoft, I would recommend that you look around for third party products. Simply from a cost perspective, you might be better off, but if you have the money and the size and the revenue, then definitely, Microsoft is…
SB
Director of Professional Services at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good visibility, and support, but it would be easier to have remote sessions into the box

What is our primary use case?

We use it and our clients use it for device patch management, servers, and management processes. We deploy it for clients but we don't usually maintain it for them.

• "It lets you know what your infrastructure is like and what state you are in."
  • "It would be nice to have everything in one place. Now they have Intune for the desktops and SCCM to handle their servers."

What other advice do I have?

If you are implementing from new, go with Intune directly, don't use the on-premises version. With the transitioning state to the cloud versions, I would rate SCCM a seven out of ten. They have handled desktops very well but they haven't transitioned servers very well.
BP
Infrastructure, Technical Computing Applications at EQF Solutions
Stable and works well for large environments

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for SCCM is for managing workstations. All of the software that runs on our workstations is packaged and distributed and managed. Along with that, some of our security software is managed a little bit differently, but is accounted for in that way. We also use it for keeping track of our patches.

• "We're a Microsoft-centric organization, so we are happy with the integration between products."
  • "There is no asset management package included."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody looking into implementing SCCM is that it has to be on a larger scale, and you have to be committed to Microsoft. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
SS
User at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Stable with an easy initial setup and good batch management

• "The initial setup is fairly straightforward."
  • "The solution is a bit heavy on the sources such as RAM or CPU and the software needs to be a bit lighter."

What other advice do I have?

We are Microsoft partners. I'm a consultant. This solution is being used by my client's companies. We are using the latest version of the solution, which is 2010. I would recommend SCCM based on the requirement of the customers. However, if they are looking for Unix and Linux support, which is no longer in SCCM, I'd recommend BigFix. That solution is better for Unix and Linux. Anybody who wants to implement SCCM should do some research online, depending upon what features they want. Once they see that SCCM will be able to manage, will be able to resolve their issues, they should choose it…
CD
Global Tech Delivery Lead Win & EUC at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with good on-premises usability and has potential to scale

• "The solution is stable."
  • "The solution is on-premises. The cloud version of the product, if a person needs to be on the cloud, would be InTune, which already exists as an option. SCCM doesn't need to offer cloud features for this reason."

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users of SCCM. We have been using SCCM for the past decade, however, now, the company is supposed to go with Intune for model management. However, we have a new CPO or CSO double hatting with security as well. He's more inclined in Bigfix features, which offer more robust patch management as well as vulnerability scan. SWe dropped the plan to go with Intune and will go with Bigfix, moving us away from SCCM. Our CPO, CSO is mainly the driver for the change, not because it is on our roadmap or our partnership with the vendor or anybody else. In general, I would…
See 22 more Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Reviews
Download our free Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.