NetApp ONTAP Overview

NetApp ONTAP is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Storage Software tools. It is most often compared to Dell EMC PowerPath: NetApp ONTAP vs Dell EMC PowerPath

What is NetApp ONTAP?

NetApp is the data authority for hybrid cloud. We provide a full range of hybrid cloud data services that simplify management of applications and data across cloud and on-premises environments to accelerate digital transformation. Together with our partners, we empower global organizations to unleash the full potential of their data to expand customer touchpoints, foster greater innovation and optimize their operations.

NetApp ONTAP Buyer's Guide

Download the NetApp ONTAP Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

NetApp ONTAP Customers

1&1 IONOS, Acıbadem Healthcare Group, Adder Technologies, Aero Vodochody Aerospace

NetApp ONTAP Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Brad Schlicht
Infrastructure engineer at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Video Review
Enables us to automate and I can use Ansible via API to automate our day to day tasks

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for ONTAP is for VMware. We also use it for exchange and file storage.

• "We've seen return on investment for ONTAP specifically on the performance recently. Where we had our file storage solution sitting on a hybrid storage solution and we were having continuous performance issues, as our workloads went up we were able to put in an 8300 all-flash array. Since we've put that in, we've been under one-millisecond latency, and that's allowed us to not have delays in some of our EDI transactions. Our end customer integrates and interfaces with that technology. Fewer outages equal more business, more profit, more revenue, and immediate ROI. We've been really happy with the new All Flash hardware solutions."
  • "Some of their products have been really good for us, on certain versions. We've run into a bunch of verts, though. That's NetApp's word for their bugs. Stability has been the main complaint that I've had with the product. Because it's so feature-rich and has so much software related to it, it does come with a decent amount of bugs so we do a lot of upgrades to patch bugs."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ONTAP as an eight. From 7-mode, they've come a long way, and I really like the features that they include. I'll give it an eight and not a ten because we run into a lot of bugs which have resulted in some issues, like outages, so I have to dock it there. As far as feature set and automation go it's a great product.
NM
Senior Storage Engineer at Cisco Systems, Inc.
You can scale it however you want, depending on your data center footprint

What is our primary use case?

We're using it as a file-based solution. The majority of our business users are file-based. We're also using it for virtualization for backup storage. Its programs are very good. We are also evaluating the All Flash FAS solution.

• "You can scale it however you want, depending on your data center footprint."
  • "It takes them a few seconds to do a failover. I hope they can reduce this to milliseconds or at least drive it down to less than two seconds. Some of their competitors are already doing this."

What other advice do I have?

We just started knowing NVMe over Fabric. We haven't used it but I think it's a great idea. They are trying to make the data closer to the CPU, so it will give you more confidence. Our approximate cost per IOP is $0.18 USD to $1.00 USD depends on the scale of the site.
Learn what your peers think about NetApp ONTAP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Gives us control of data in the cloud and allows us to pay for what we need

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage data in the cloud.

• "Vauable features include the ability to manage our data anywhere, multiple consumption modes, and rapid deployment."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of other products it works with in our environment, we have only tried it with database workloads in AWS. I rate this solution at ten out of ten because NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP provides a level of flexibility that allows you to pay for what you need, when you need it.
    Rob Cargill
    Technical Director at Venn IT Solutions
    Reseller
    The stability, and the scalability, and the way it performs has been excellent

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is predominately NFS data stores, iSCSI LUNs for SQL databases, and CIFS file share.

• "The stability of our ONTAP system has been awesome over the last four to five years, particularly with the software. The controls have been excellent as well. We recently went through a view of all of our systems and found a number of them had been up, over three years without any sort of reboots or downtime. We have been very happy with the stability of the systems."
    • "The additional features I would like to see in ONTAP, and NetApp in general would probably be the single pane of glass software. Over the years that's probably the biggest area that we've struggled with. NetApp has had a lot of good products, but a lot of them haven't necessarily seamlessly integrated with each other and you have to go to multiple management consoles to manage their software or their hardware. From a customer point of view, I think that single pane of glass where you could just add modules and enable functionality would be the most beneficial thing that NetApp could add."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ONTAP around about eight out of ten. The main reason for that is because I believe nothing can have a ten out of ten. Nothing's perfect. There is always room for improvement. The only reason I don't give it a nine is multi-terabyte databases of regular support. The product itself now is excellent. The stability, and the scalability, and the way it performs has been excellent.
    David Boone
    Operations and Server Manager at Denver Health
    Video Review
    NVMe works flawlessly and allows us the ability to manage our environment in a more rapid fashion

What is our primary use case?

My primary purpose for NetApp ONTAP is for the MetroCluster. We have two data centers and we have it housed there for high availability and fault tolerance.

• "I would rate this solution a ten because of what NetApp provides us from a quality layout. The partnership that they provide us and their assistance is very important and the work that they communicate with us on a regular basis is outstanding."
    • "There is a lot a lot of functional integration that we look forward to for improvements. I'm learning where they're going and I'm very interested to see those improvements and how they can help us."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten because of what NetApp provides us from a quality layout. The partnership that they provide us and their assistance is very important and the work that they communicate with us on a regular basis is outstanding. I would tell someone considering this solution that there are many similar technologies. What I would recommend is to make sure that you have a great partnership with whomever you select. In my case, I recommend that you understand your business and make sure whoever you're going to select understands your needs and is willing to digest, make a sale but…
    Harikrishna Kamma
    Storage Engineer L3 SME at Dimension Data
    Video Review
    ONTAP has improved my organization by lowering budget costs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for ONTAP is for all of the protocols we use like CS, NFS, EFC, ISKC.

• "ONTAP has improved my organization by lowering budget costs. Deduplication, compression, compaction, SnapMirror, SnapWall, the transaction happens from one to the other. It's serving our needs just as expected."
    • "If you do the initial setup manually, it is a bit difficult for someone who doesn't know."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
    JP
    Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    The product is stable and reliable. We always have access to our files.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for storing flat files. The secondary use case is as a conduit for long-term archiving.

• "It most valuable feature is its stability. A product has to be stable."
    • "The product is reliable. We always want to have access to the files, and the system has to be up 99.9 percent of the time."
    • "It should release more cloud-centric products as compared to some of its competitors. We would like it to have the ability to run or manage a solution in the cloud. This would allow us to migrate our data on-premise to off-premise in cloud solutions."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you can to do a PoC onsite (or offsite) to ensure the product works for you. We are using the on-premise version, though we are looking for off-premise solutions from NetApp.
    Peggy Balaberda
    Storage Tech at General Dynamics Mission Systems Inc.
    Video Review
    With ONTAP we have more shelves, disks, aggregates, and dedupe savings

What is our primary use case?

We use ONTAP to take care of the filers. We have quite a few filers and we use it to increase and decrease storage and make new volumes. All the stuff we use Data ONTAP for makes managing all the filers very easy to take care of. The reason that we use Data ONTAP for everything is that we have it on all of our systems, we have a lot of customers. We use it for our virtual environments in which we make a big data store. Our way to tell people is to just pop in VMs and they use it. We have a cloud environment and a lab environment. We either do NFS VM stores, people just pop in VMs or we put… more »

• "We over-allocate our aggregates and it still works, it's great, it's fun. We dedupe everywhere, we get huge savings. We went back and deduped the whole thing again, we could get more, so that's what we do. We go back and look to see if there's an option we can set and do it from the beginning, but still 13 terabytes, that's a lot of dedupe savings. Sometimes we get 50% or more in our savings, so we love dedupe."
    • "We're at 9.3 so when we go to 9.5 we would like the synchronous SnapMirror because our users would like that, especially the ones that do the conveyor belt of data. We'd like that."

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate it about a nine because I just don't want to give anything a ten. We love it. We also have production on the backup filers that we use. It's great, it's easy. I would advise someone considering this solution to take the classes and get some education. Especially if it's cluster because cluster's a little bit different, you need to know how to take care of that. Make sure you know all the networking parts of cluster ONTAP and go take the class and then implement it. Then if you have problems, call up and find out what the problem is and go forth and do it because it's great.
    Oliver Fuckner
    Systems Administrator at Strato AG
    Video Review
    Has reduced costs and we can move data around without any interruption

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for ONTAP is that our whole platform is running on ONTAP. We have all the client data that we're using on the files, in our data center.

• "ONTAP has really reduced our costs because we learned that we could use our storage with fewer machines and drive down data center costs."
    • "cDot only scales to 24 notes so scalability should be better, bigger, but we are one of the only customers that are facing this problem."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten, especially the cDot version because it really helps focus on our real problems, and storage is, not the greatest problem anymore and really works great.
    James Warthen
    Unix Admin at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    Enables us to file Linux symlinks in the Windows environment and is more cost-effective

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is we have both Windows and Unix and they share file systems for compiling code. The big advantage with NetApp is the ability to file Linux symlinks in the Windows environment.

• "Scalability is perfectly fine. Right now I only have the two nodes and one shelf. I'll be able to easily upgrade additional shelves. They gave me plenty of cabling when I got the unit so all I have to do is disconnect and reconnect the cabling and that's it."
    • "The initial installation could've been quite easy, but there was a lot of miscommunications with professional services and there are a lot of details that they didn't quite provide which caused a very complicated installation."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten. It's very easy to use. What I really like about it is it incorporates the same thing as CentOS and RHEL 7 which is the Tap commands. If you have an idea of what commands you want to use, you can tap through and figure out what you need without having to go and look for the full syntax.
    RC
    Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It retrieves data quickly, but I would like the product to have SSD and deduplication features

What is our primary use case?

I have use this storage appliance, which they have on-premise. It is for taking backup off onsite data. This is a storage and NAS device.

• "When it accesses regular files, it does so as an NFS workload, which retrieves data quickly."
    • "Its typical use case is storing files and getting data, so it does its use case well."
    • "I would like to have deduplication and SSD features in the product."
    • "With our current use case, we will need something faster. E.g., if you have a huge scale, having SSD-based backup is better."

What other advice do I have?

Based on the use case, it can be a good product. We have just one application where we store data, and we haven't had problems with it.
    RS
    IT Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    FlexGroup is capacity-oriented enabling us to can keep extending the space

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the security business. We use it mostly for capacity-oriented purposes, rather than performance-oriented.

• "We are able to minimize the storage hardware. The compression and deduplication have helped reduce our overall cost of storage."
    • "I'm waiting for the NVMe, end-to-end."

What other advice do I have?

ONTAP has been in use for over 25 years, that's one of the major advantages when compared to start-ups and other companies. It's also global, NetApp has support all over and, in case of an emergency, their response is good. When there is an issue, many people jump onto the call to try to resolve it. NVMe over Fabrics is margin-technology at the moment, but the future will be NVMe. All storage, end-to-end, will be NVMe protocol. The speed of NVMe is good. The current existing technology is SCSI-based, one command per Cube, but with NVMe you can run 65,536 commands in each Cube, meaning 65,536…
    SR
    Storage Engineer at a individual & family service with 501-1,000 employees
    It helps us save money using compression and deduplication

What is our primary use case?

We use it to store email files, mainly JPEGs.

• "You can add storage capacity on the fly with Clustered ONTAP. You can add nodes and increase the entire horsepower of ONTAP."
    • "With ONTAP, we have peace of mind with double-parity protector RAID systems. Therefore, we can sleep well at the night, not thinking about crashing a RAID, because it's secure."
    • "Technical support is hit or miss sometimes. Level 1 support is not very good. Level 2 and Level 3 (the escalation support) are very good. They are knowledgeable people, but sometimes you get some hiccup in the Level 1 support. After you pass Level 1, it is smooth sailing. There is a lot of room for improvement."
    • "I would like to see more integration of the features with the CIFS and SMB Protocols. We also want integration with iSCSI."

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for something simple to manage, but an advanced storage array, NetApp is the way to go.
    PG
    Chief Administrative Officer at a government with 10,001+ employees
    Gives us the ability to upgrade easily and the scalability is good

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for serving the file server files. File storage is for the member offices and accessing that data.

• "We have been able to save about 10 to 15% on space using the space consumption features."
    • "They could also improve on their ability to back up storage."

What other advice do I have?

The approximate cost per IOP is around 50 cents. I would rate this product a nine because of its ability to upgrade easily and the scalability. Definitely look at the compression, deduplication, and the ability to grow into the cloud, consider any product that has these features.
    JK
    Technical Analyst at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Incremental Snapshots keep us protected from ransomware attacks

What is our primary use case?

It's our main storage platform for our business applications. We have SQL and we do a lot of video editing. We also have a lot of media and sound data. Radio stations and TV stations keep some of their data on it.

• "One of the things I find most valuable is the way they do the Snapshots, taking incrementals at points in time... Often someone will say, "Hey, I deleted this thing yesterday, can you get this back for me?" It's good that we have all those incremental Snapshots at different points in time that we can refer back to, to get them whatever they need."
    • "It has also helped us reduce our overall cost of storage. Through dedupe and compression, we save a lot of capacity. Without that, we'd obviously have to buy more capacity. The last time I checked we were saving about 40 percent over our previous storage."
    • "They use a lot of PowerShell for managing things and there are still a few things that you can't do through PowerShell cmdlets that you can do in the native CLI. It would be nice if they got more of those added in."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of NVMe over Fabrics, we no longer have any Fibre Channel. That was all phased out before I got on the team. In general, NVMe over Fabrics is good, it's quick. We aren't yet using machine-learning, AI, or real-time analytics but that is something we're looking into.
    TG
    Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    Switching workloads from one data center to the other has been great. We have had some issues with the architecture, because of the complex setup with the MetroCluster.

• "We have been using it for our entire environment, so we use it in file shares and in our VDI environment, at least for user data. That has reduced our user login times by about 50 percent."
    • "Going forward, I want to see a simplified deployment and more straightforward recommendations on what is required for it."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend doing your homework and make sure the environment is prepped before getting it set up. Make sure you have any prerequisites and your equipment's compatible: The distance between data centers is the networking pieces being compatible with the all-flash MetroCluster. If you have any issues there, you're going to have constant headaches with the configuration. The main piece is make sure you have all your ducks in a row on your networking gear, make sure it's compatible, and fix the issues early before you start deploying.
    it_user834939
    Senior Architect, Cloud Computing at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    It is very stable and never crashes. However, it doesn't scale horizontally.

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage storage for our customers. Our customers use it for mission-critical applications, such as backup circuits.

• "If you lose connectivity, it has one-sided redundant connectivity on the back-end for shelves, which is good."
    • "There is a faster release cycle now. Also, they are doing all types of cool stuff in their cloud volumes, replication, and tiering."
    • "It doesn't scale horizontally since there are a limited number of shelves."
    • "The lack of an API is a big thing for us that needs to be improved. It needs proper API support."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend ONTAP, because I like the platform. With the most recent stuff, like the fabric pools which blow my mind, it is a really good solution. There is something interesting stuff coming out in the future, like NVMe over Fabric, which has a different rate over Fiber Channel.
    Miguel Gonzalez
    Senior Engineer at Alliant Credit Union
    It's more intuitive to use as they are moving away from command line into more graphical interfaces, but they need to improve stability

What is our primary use case?

It's our enterprise storage solution where we keep 95 percent of our data. We use it for our mission-critical applications: All our SQL, Exchange, data warehousing, and anything with heaving I/O processing.

• "It's more intuitive to use as they are moving away from command line into more graphical interfaces, which are somewhat easier to use."
    • "There is room for improvement in the stability. They have been trying to become simpler, and as a result, there have been road bumps along the way. I have personally experienced this."

What other advice do I have?

NVMe over Fabric is considered the next generation of storage in terms of how fast things move. Our company chose this solution because they've known it from the past. We are still looking into machine learning, AI, and real-time analytics.
    PM
    Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It allows us to scale and grow as needed and also be flexible in the way we operate

What is our primary use case?

We are a storage provider for a government entity. We serve data to profilers and other government entities.

• "It's easy to failover and failback"
    • "ONTAP allows us to scale and grow as needed and also be flexible in the way we operate."
    • "It should be easier to put in tech support cases. They should streamline the online support and chat."
    • "They should make the storage arrays more easily tied to your accounts."

What other advice do I have?

I'm pretty happy with ONTAP.
    NS
    Senior Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It is able to store a lot of data and can be managed with fewer people

What is our primary use case?

We use it for storing unstructured data.

• "It is able to store a lot of data, and we can manage it with fewer people."
    • "Technical support has gone down in my perspective. When getting to the root cause of issues, they need to respond faster."

What other advice do I have?

It is a good, market-leading product.
    VR
    Storage Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Queries are being completed in less time, but the initial setup is too complex

What is our primary use case?

We use this storage device for databases, storing databases, and VMware. When it comes to databases ,we have Oracle, SQL, and mission-critical applications. Therefore, we need very good response times, and we get very good response times from NetApp All Flash systems.

• "Queries are being completed in less time. For example, we have seen a three times improvement when it comes to running a query. If query used to take an hour, now it takes 10 to 20 minutes."
    • "The compression works well. We get a 3:1 ratio."
    • "We would like to be able to provide feedback immediately after receiving technical support."
    • "The initial setup is too complex. It should be one click. Anyone with basic knowledge of storage should be able to set it up. Instead, there are too many moving pieces."

What other advice do I have?

We are in a testing phase at this moment for machine learning, AI, and real-time analytics . We have a team who is testing Docker on this. In future, we will be using NVMe over Fabric. At the moment, we are still immature.
    SR
    Systems Architect at University of San Diego
    It is very reliable. We have not lost one byte of data.

What is our primary use case?

I have about 500 volumes that I manage, and I love it.

• "My experience with NetApp is its very easy to learn and intuitive. I can figure out just about everything."
    • "I wish tech support would be better. I wish I could talk to somebody more easily and qualified, because this is way it is supposed to be.."

What other advice do I have?

My experience with ONTAP has been very good. It is very reliable. I might use ONTAP for machine learning. AI. and real-time analytics in the future. Next year will be very interesting as we upgraded to an AFF A300, so that's a new ballgame. I wouldn't mind getting into the cloud. I am not using NVMe yet. Maybe next year, I will venture into that. I am only using Fibre Channel and iSCSI right now.
    BW
    Infrastructure Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    new release has a lot of features that save us space and costs

What is our primary use case?

I work for an oil and gas company. We go out to the field and get oil from the ground. The primary use case is for development and preparation for production.

• "It's very fast, NetApp is always dependable, so if we have an issue, they're very responsive."
    • "They could lower prices so my management doesn't complain about cost"

What other advice do I have?

It's an advance from what we used before, and a lot faster. It doesn't take a lot of learning to start using it. Take a look at NetApp and get the Professional Services involved. If you're coming from a different vendor, they'll be able to assist with getting the data moved over. That would be my main point.
    Ernesto Silvera
    Pre Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Efficiency Of This Solution Has Reduced The Amount Of Storage Our Customers Need

What is our primary use case?

We are a NetApp distributor. We offer assistance for banking solutions, energy companies, and companies that do retail.

• "They always have new solutions for their customers. They also have good integration with other partners like Microsoft, VMware, and Oracle."
    • "If the customer wants to integrate with another product they need deployment guides."

What other advice do I have?

It's an excellent product. They always have new solutions for their customers. They also have good integration with other partners like Microsoft, VMware, and Oracle. Compared with their competitors, NetApp has a good advantage with their new development and new functionalities. The new platforms are competitive with other storage solutions. NetApp has better integration with all their solutions. They have only one interface for all their products as well as the same operating system. It's really easy for the customer to handle and to administer the solution.
    YM
    IT Manager at a non-tech company
    The disks are stable and our data is safe

What is our primary use case?

It is the easiest way to backup, restore data, and access data along with keep it secure. It has an easy interface to manage all the data.

• "If we want to change things in models, such as add, replace, and adjust to another client, it is very easy."
    • "They have very good tech support who always answers our questions and troubleshoots our issues. They're great."
    • "I would like more security against the malwares, spyware, and ransomware. I feel like ONTAP is a bit lacking in this area."

What other advice do I have?

It is friendly to use and manage. They are very good in backup and restoring 100% of things up to the minute. It's very easy for regular users.
    MV
    SAN Engineer at American Express

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for the cloud and storage: NAS and SAN.

• "It is easy to migrate data from one storage array to another storage array using SnapMirror technologies."
    • "If they could come up with some more automation, this would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend NetApp. If you need a solution, use NetApp.
    HS
    Lead Systems Engineer at CACI International Inc.
    It has the ability to tailor tiers according to what we need and put the right services in the right place

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for all of our enterprise architecture. So, we use everything from CIFS, NFS, Fibre Channel LUNs, Fibre Channel over Ethernet, and iSCSI. Therefore, we're pretty much using the gamut. We have a little bit of SAS storage tier, SATA storage tier, and SSD as well.

• "It is very easy to scale, so we started with a four-node cluster and added it to a six-node cluster. We've also done some other modifications in between."
    • "One of the things that we were looking at being able to do a FlexGroup NFSv4. Right now, 9.4 goes up to NFSv3, but if we could get the NFSv4 solution on a 9.4, or a future release, that would be awesome."

What other advice do I have?

Look into the product's reliability. You will definitely see an increase in your business performance if you use it. We don't current employ any NVMe. We have SSD. We're looking at NVMe potentially on some of our higher IOP operations, but we don't deploy it right now. We use SaaS and also have a Hadoop cluster which are backed up by ONTAP storage. These are for doing a lot of data analytics and analyzing different data streams. AI is soon to come.
    CD
    Storage Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It has been very stable. Our mission-critical applications are on it.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is network-attached storage.

• "It's much easier and faster to deploy our storage with ONTAP than some of the other solutions that we have."
    • "We can do upgrades without taking it down. We have had nodes fail and people just kept working."
    • "We would like to have additional cloud integration and the ability to Snapshot directly to Amazon. This would help us reduce costs, provide us additional disaster recovery, and give us a site that's not owned by us."

What other advice do I have?

It has been amazingly easy for us to use. We hope will be using this solution for machine learning, AI, and real-time analytics in the future. We are not using NVMe yet.
    PG
    Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    Since we have a hybrid solution, we can accommodate for the performance that we need

What is our primary use case?

We use it for SMB and CIFS for different departments. It is also used for HIPAA and FTC compliance.

• "It has been very stable. We haven't had a significant outage."
    • "The solution has helped our organization reduce its overall cost of storage by allowing us to have multiple sites using the multi-tenant security model, segregated from each other, while at the same time using the same resources."
    • "Sometimes, we have had some delays, on holidays and weekends, getting the right resource for a specific problem."

What other advice do I have?

Do a PoC and compared against your current solution. ONTAP is very intuitive. We use the solution for analytics and monitoring. Our monitoring system uses both Splunk and Log Insight and the analytics are tie into NetApp. We haven't used NVMe, but are looking forward to it. To my understanding, it is not ready yet to be implemented on NetApp or any other product. However, we're ready to start testing it as soon as the product's available.
    JP
    System Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    The technical support is the best that I have ever encountered

What is our primary use case?

ONTAP runs our Tier 1 data center. We use it for running all our virtualization, backups, etc.

• "The technical support is great. It's the best I've ever encountered. I can email and have everything resolved at three in the morning within half an hour. I have had some late night calls to their guys techs, and it's been phenomenal."
    • "I would like more diagnostic generation. Right now, it's a pain to go into the controller and do a full diagnostic and export."

What other advice do I have?

There is nothing it can't do. It satisfies all my needs. It is straight to the point and has great updates. We are doing a trade study right on all the things that we would like to have and everything we have hard requirements for, and NetApp meets both.
    AK
    Storage Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Scalability is very good, as it enables us to use different product lines within the same operating system

What is our primary use case?

We use it for on-premise storage.

• "The scalability is very good. It enables us to use different product lines within the same operating system."
    • "I would like to see more evolution towards the cloud."

What other advice do I have?

It has a good, safe implementation. I gave this product an eight, because there is always room for improvement and to make things better.
    StorageE1250
    Storage engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    New features help us keep up performance but storage efficiency could be better

What is our primary use case?

We are using the NetApp solution to host our tier-two storage workloads. We use it for virtualization and as a database for applications such as Microsoft Exchange, SQL, and Oracle.

• "With the NetApp Data ONTAP Cluster, we get some features that are particularly helpful. For example, we can always add to and remove nodes from the cluster. The ability to move volumes online from the storage side, from one aggregate to another aggregate, or from one node to another node, keeps up the performance which helps us a lot."
    • "Especially with the all-flash arrays, we would like to see better storage efficiency and deduplication. In terms of manageability, it would be great if NetApp would add more native reporting tools into the dashboard so that we don't need to use the third-party tool for analyzing our environments or to generate any reports. This would be especially helpful for companies that need to generate some chargeback for the customers."

What other advice do I have?

Instead of just considering the brand name, whether it's NetApp or any other vendor, my advice is always for a company to define their requirements. Once the requirements are identified, set the expectations and then consider NetApp as a possible solution because we have worked with it and have had a positive experience. If the data is consistent, my advice would be to move on with NetApp.
    RC
    SAN Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The new automation feature saves us a lot of time. The response time for tickets is bad.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the NAS solution. We have a NAS infrastructure with NetApp ONTAP.

• "The product is good at deduplication. Also, the new automation feature is good, as it saves us a lot of time."
    • "Technical support is not in person nowadays. We have to wait a long time to get an engineer. Then, most of the time, their engineers are not good enough to understand our problems. While we might not be able to explain the problem well, or they are not able to understand the problem well, their solutions are slow to resolution. The response time for tickets is bad nowadays."
    • "I need to be able to validate how the host is performing from the storage, as I am concerned about the host performance and storage connectivity to the host."

What other advice do I have?

If you need something in the NAS area, consider or test the NetApp products. On the storage and box side, NetApp is really good at what they do.
    MB
    Executive Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    The initial setup and deployment were straightforward

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to move from Fibre Channel to SolidFire.

• "The initial setup and deployment were straightforward"
    • "The vendor diagnostics, which allows for movement from one vendor to another vendor using the application technology that is available. It should be able to talk to any vendor, not just NetApp to NetApp. We should be able to replicate the data, so the next feature should not be vendor specific."
    EK
    Storage manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is the storage and backup.

• "Previously we didn't have DR, but ever since we purchased the NetApp server, we are able to use Snap Mirror and then create DR scenarios, so that's been a huge benefit. This solution has helped reduce the overall cost of storage space in our organization by allowing us to use one data center, instead of two, and then allowing us to replicate the data; so that saves us money to buy more storage. We have been able to save space by using this solution."
    • "I would like the ability to perform backups in the cloud. That way you don't have to worry about building the data center. Everything's already in the cloud."

What other advice do I have?

Our approximate cost per IOP is at least a couple of million. I would give this product a rating of 8 out of 10. There could be improvements, its proprietary software so it can be pricey. I say give NetApp a try. Its very simple to install and easy to use.
    Antoine Roseman
    CEO at RACTSOL Corp
    Leaderboard
    Its usability, scalability, and dependability are very good

What is our primary use case?

ONTAP is currently being used for data backups, migration of data, and volume management.

• "Its usability, scalability, and dependability are very good."
    • "We are always looking for more security enhancements and ways to continue to provide security encryption, whether it's data in rest or security in transit. We would also like to have more enhanced encryption beyond the regular TLS and 256-bit."

What other advice do I have?

Stay open to different technologies, as it's an emerging market. I do recommend the ONTAP product. I often offer colleagues a chance to come in and utilize our test environment to explore the different options around. The product is good and sound. Our customers have been extremely satisfied with how we are using the product.
    FB
    System Administrator at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
    Technical support is good. Their solution engineers are good at architecting designs which are standard, but also future thinking.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is file storage. We use it for SMB CIFs and Fibre Channel LUN for Hyper-V.

• "SnapMirror is a good solution, because we can take our production data and replicate it over to our DR data center with minimal administrative effort, which is huge."
    • "Technical support is good. NetApp's solution engineers are good at architecting designs which are standard, but also future thinking. I've only opened a few tickets, and they've answered my questions each time. NetApp takes less than four hours to respond."
    • "I would like to see FlexGroup volumes come to parity in terms of software features with Flex volumes. It seems like FlexGroup volumes have massive scalability, but their features set is not the same as Flex volumes, so we are currently unable to use it."

What other advice do I have?

ONTAP is easy and works. It most likely has all the features you need, and then some. Each ONTAP upgrade has brought us new features, like rest encryption. The new solution is crazy small and compact.
    JC
    Storage Architect at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees

What is our primary use case?

We use it for everything, like the NAS and SAN functionality. It's a back-end for the host VMs and the Microsoft SQL Database, which is directly attached to them. We also use all-in-one file servers.

• "It has multiple uses. It does everything in one box."
    • "Scalability is awesome with a cluster node, not only can you scale up, but you can also scale out."
    • "While the data efficiency features are great, I want to see more efficiency and compression type of technology."

What other advice do I have?

We have been using Fibre Channel, but we are planning on moving over to NVMe. We're on a 32G Gen 6 switches and HBA cards. We need to convert it to see how it will affect the speed, but it should drastically increase the performance of the connection. NVMe over Fabric with existing Fibre Channel infrastructure is wonderful. It is easy to convert. We don't have to do much at all. It's just a matter of how we present. Instead of using WWPNs, we use an IQN number. So, it's connecting the same volume over iSCSI and Fibre Channel mixed. We just have another means to talk to the hosts.
    JR
    Director of IT at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Using Snapshots, we're able to use to restore VMs in minutes for our developers

What is our primary use case?

We use it for network shares and being aware of backups.

• "The deduplication is valuable."
    • "The only thing I don't like is that firmware upgrades require downtime. It would be beneficial if we could do upgrades without as much downtime."

What other advice do I have?

Go with the NetApp. The ease of use and the deployment of it, by far, outdo every other vendor that we've dealt with. I would rate it a solid eight out of ten. The ease of use is awesome, the support is awesome. The only thing keeping me from giving it a ten is that keeping it upgraded is a pain.
    Nana Esigyan
    Storage and Backup Manager at Vodafone
    The cluster version is flexible and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

ONTAP is the OS for NetApp storage controllers. We use it to provision storage or line volumes for our internal customers requesting storage either for databases, the storing of flat files, etc.

• "The cluster version is flexible and easy to use."
    • "Stability and performance have been great."
    • "In Africa, especially in West Africa, NetApp doesn't chat with their customers. Therefore, we always have to go through the local partners or vendors."
    • "Because most of us were new to the product, the initial setup was a bit cumbersome. Once we were trained, it was fine."
    • "I would like it to be more user-friendly. When you open the main dashboard, anyone should be able to know exactly what is going on, even without a tech background. Minimal training should be required."

What other advice do I have?

Fabric is good. I have yet to experience NVMe. Sometime in the future, we will look at AI and machine learning.
    MW
    Senior Manager Computer Storage at a individual & family service with 501-1,000 employees
    The initial setup was straightforward. It came in a box ready to go.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is as an application file server.

• "The initial setup was straightforward. It came in a box ready to go."
    • "I would like to see Synchronize Snap mode in the next release."

What other advice do I have?

Try it out, get your hands on it, and see what it does. Every year, I am impressed with the product. It has gotten better over the years with cluster mode, but it is not 100 percent perfect. There are certain technical limitations with being able to use it for SAN, but it's improving.
    DJ
    Systems Engineer at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
    It has CIFS environment sharing and integrated monitoring with OnCommand

What is our primary use case?

We use Data ONTAP to provide CIFS and NFS shares, as well as direct attached data stores for VMware.

• "Today, because NetApp listened to their customers and improved their GUI, we can perform a firmware upgrade within minutes."
    • "You really need OnCommand to do a lot of cool stuff with NetApp, and they make it hard to get."

What other advice do I have?

ONTAP has a lot of stuff that most people don't utilize it for. For example, the entire Snap Management package is an underutilized piece of software in our industry. Get it and use a lot of the features, then have your mind blown. The moment you start using it is when the magic happens. If you don't use it, then you don't know how awesome it is.
    SC
    Storage Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    We are saving more disk space which saves us more money

What is our primary use case?

SnapVaulting SnapMirroring Backing up

How has it helped my organization?

We are saving more disk space which saves us more money.

What is most valuable?

Aggregate data, compaction, and deduplication for ONTAP are its most valuable features, so we can save space.

More than five years.

It is stable.

We haven't had any issues with the technical support. When we've used the technical support, they have been helpful.

Previously, we have 7-Mode technology. Now, we have cDOT. We changed because now we can move volumes without any interruptions. …
    DP
    Storage Lead at Tata Consultancy Services
    The throughput has improved overall performance, but the migration was complex

What is our primary use case?

We have an SAP HANA migration project going on. We bought NetApp a couple of years back, and our first solution was to migrate the data to the HANA boxes. In terms of mission-critical applications, the first phase of migrating the legacy systems was to migrate all the mission- and business-critical applications to the new platform. The customer has a lot of legacy applications. Most of the mission-critical applications have been moved. The only mission-critical application that is left is the website application that the customer uses. Once that is done, all of the mission-critical… more »

• "The most valuable feature is the throughput. You tend to get to your data very quickly. That's why we decided, eventually, to move into NetApp, because of the speed. Also, as a support engineer, this solution is easy to use, compared with SAN storage."

What other advice do I have?

I suggest involving NetApp in your solutioning, so that they better know what to propose and what procurements need to be done in the initial stages. Otherwise, you are looking at wasting a lot of time, the kind where you are in the middle of a project, and you realize, "Oh, this is not what I want, I want to be able to scale up more," or something like that. You have to involve them as consultants at the initial stage so that the right things are bought. Their involvement is very important in terms of the architecting, especially if you are building up a new environment. We don't use the…
      DL
      Storage Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
      This solution makes things easier for us on the operations side

What is our primary use case?

We use it with the All Flash FAS solution. There are a lot of the reasons that we chose this solution. We are going the direction of automation in the cloud. It has flexibility and supportability around NetApp solutions and products.

• "We are going the direction of automation in the cloud. It has flexibility and supportability around NetApp solutions and products."
      • "The config could be a little easier. It's not entirely difficult, but it could be a somewhat easier. I have seen other vendors make it easier."

What other advice do I have?

NetApp solutions get rid of a lot of time spent on the operational side. This solution makes things easier for us on the operations side. NetApp seems to be very cognizant of what we need and where the future of technology is going with health care, in general.
      CP
      System engineer at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
      The ability to view multiple clusters on one pane of glass is key for us

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage our NetApps.

• "The most valuable feature of the solution is to be able to do multiple clusters on one pane of glass. We used to have to log on to each cluster per NetApp to view statistics on it or the logs if something was wrong. But now we can use ONTAP to view all the clusters and it shows us if something is full of space or not."
      • "The technical support hasn't been that great. A couple of times we have had to call support and it took a long time to get somebody on the phone, it took a long time for someone to call us back. That's the only downside, the support."

What other advice do I have?

Test it out, go with a PoC on it to see if it's what you need in your environment. If you have a majority of NetApp, I would say, “Go with it.” I would recommend it. I would give ONTAP about an eight out of ten because it does everything we need it to do. The two points I took off were for customer service and technical support.
      LM
      Technical Architect at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The capacity, mid-range performance in the management stack, and its features set are unparalleled

What is our primary use case?

We use it for electronic design automation, build, and regression.

• "We use NetApp for its capacity, mid-range performance in the management stack, and its features set are unparalleled."
      • "It is not as good as we need from a performance perspective. At the moment, we are always running out of CPU on the controllers, even the high-end solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I would give it an eight out of ten on its feature set, maturity, and global product availability. Up and coming vendors can provide performance or specific features. However, compared to Hardware Universe, Unified Manager, and replication, along with spectrum, from the FAS2000 that we use out our small sites to FAS9000 that we use for big regressions, these other company don't have the breadth to the feature set that NetApp has today.
      SG
      Systems Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      It gives us a location to store data across multiple mount points

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a file-based storage. We store a lot of unstructured and application data. Mostly data which needs to be shared across multiple mount points.

• "It gives us a location to store data across multiple mount points."
      • "Being able to scale out at cost-effective capabilities doesn't compare to some of our other storage solutions, but it is coming along. NetApp ONTAP could improve its scalability."

What other advice do I have?

* Do a proof of concept (PoC). * Understanding the high availability of the storage solutions, especially if you have rack resiliency requirements. * Understand how the solution is designed and configured. * Understand what your performance requirements are.
      SM
      Systems Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We can recover data quickly. We are able to failover to remote sites. It is reliable.

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for our file server environment: all our home shares, group shares, etc.

• "Scalability is good. Now that we have the ability to add more nodes to the cluster, it's better. It allows us to grill our clusters allowing them to be larger and faster, without having to buy a whole new system."
      • "Snapshot and SnapMirror technologies make it easier to replicate data to disaster recovery scenarios."
      • "We can recover data quickly. We are able to failover to remote sites. We can do that within minutes."
      • "I would like to see more integration into the cloud, as we are pushing to do more cloud-based compute. It is just easier to get the storage and everything synced up there and move to the cloud. We want NetApp to keep down the cloud integration path. It still needs some improvement. Overall, there needs to be more cloud integration in all NetApp products."

What other advice do I have?

Give it a look. It's reliable. Now, with ONTAP Select and the ability go to virtual machines, it gives you a lot more flexibility that you didn't have before.
      JM
      Systems Architect at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

We use it for enterprise storage. We use data ONTAP to solution and enterprise storage for our core data centers. We use a lot of SnapVault and SnapMirror features for disaster recovery and daily backups to meet SLAs.

• "We use a lot of SnapVault and SnapMirror features for disaster recovery and daily backups to meet SLAs."
      • "Scalability is a bit of a question. If we're only doing file-based storage, scalability is fantastic. If we are doing block-based storage through iSCSI or Fibre Channel, there are some significant limitations in the number of volumes and clients that you can put on a single data ONTAP cluster."
      • "The PowerShell scripting capabilities right now are all over the place as far as which rich operating systems are supported. They all support Windows, but the HCI product with the SolidFire integration also supports PowerShell on Mac and Linux. It would be nice if the rest of the NetApp APIs caught up with PowerShell on other operating systems besides Windows. Because we're deploying more non-Windows operating systems, it would be helpful if we would be able to use that utility."

What other advice do I have?

NVMe over Fabrics is a very interesting proposition. However, it's probably always going to be in a leap frog position with NVMe over traditional Fibre Channel infrastructure. Because if you look at a lot of the research data running NVMe over an Ethernet-based fabric, as the fabric gets congested, the total amount of footprint goes down significantly. Whereas the footprint is very consistent for the Fibre Channel fabric from start to finish, no matter how congested it becomes, and you're still capable of pushing it at reasonable speeds very close to the theoretical maximum. With the Ethernet…
      Bill Blair
      Storage Engineer at Evolent Health
      Clustered ONTAP makes it very easy for one person to manage petabytes of data

What is our primary use case?

We use it for VMware.

• "Clustered ONTAP makes it very easy to manage large amounts of data, measured in petabytes. One person can manage all that."
      • "We bought it for a couple reasons. One, it took advantage of our existing storage because we could front-end that storage. It also allowed us, through native replication, to set up a DR site, which we're working towards. And three, that DR site, in 2020, is going to the cloud. NetApp has a nice solution for that. And our production in 2022 may actually go to the cloud. So all that is already in place, no additional tools. You can use the same SnapMirror and SnapVault technology to get there."
      • "I would like to see volume efficiency come closer to what Dell EMC can do with, for instance, their XtremIO platform."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise colleagues who are researching this type of solution to look at NetApp. We bought it for a couple reasons. One, it took advantage of our existing storage because we could front-end that storage. It also allowed us, through native replication, to set up a DR site, which we're working towards. And three, that DR site, in 2020, is going to the cloud. NetApp has a nice solution for that. And our production in 2022 may actually go to the cloud. So all that is already in place, no additional tools. You can use the same SnapMirror and SnapVault technology to get there. To me, it makes…
      SS
      Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Replication technologies keep our customers out of risk; we can seamlessly failover/failback

What is our primary use case?

One use case is user files, when customers are trying to place their unstructured data and then access it remotely. A second case is is VDI. All the VDI uses have their home drives hosted in NetApp. In addition, we use NetApp for general-purpose, such as Unix applications, database archives, big data, when they need a lot of reads and fewer writes. That data comes into NAS. In our firm, we use it for tier-three and tier-four, which needs less than 20 millisecond response times. Those types of applications are deployed in NetApp.

• "I love the replication technologies which keep a customer out of risk. At any time, we can do a seamless failover/failback, and have the latest data on it. The SnapVault is another excellent feature. It's used for remote disk-based backups so we don't need to depend on tape backups with their long restore times."
      • "The only thing that they have to improve in NetApp is that they're still relying on padding each node in active/active in CDOT. That has to go away. They should look at the scalability on a platform level. The computer will have that one file system with multiple nodes on it. If even one node fails, any node in that cluster could take over the functionalities. But today, it absolutely relies on that active-active uncoupling it. That needs to be improved in such a way that it would be one namespace. If this node goes down, any node in the cluster should take over and run that environment."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ONTAP at eight out of ten. It's an industry standard. It pretty much supports all the protocols and it delivers what the customer needs. It's operating on the use case perspective. Instead of having thousands of features - what is the use of that if a customer only wants ten percent of it - NetApp is really focusing on the ten percent, and delivering what the customer really needs. It would be a ten out of ten with cluster enhancement and support improvements. Those are things that they should improve. I hope in a couple of years, when I come to the next NetApp Insight conference…
      CV
      Storage Engineer at a government with 10,001+ employees
      Delivers low latency and fast I/O for our users' mission-critical apps, with a smaller footprint

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all our storage requirements.

• "The most valuable features are the data deduplication, the inline compression/compaction, and the encryption as well, the security aspect of it."
      • "Overall, for us, it's the stability, it has a solid infrastructure. It's easy to use, easy to rack and configure and start utilizing really quickly. It's been very stable, it works great, and it does everything we would want it to do."
      • "I could see the GUI being a little bit more refined, the presentation layer being a little stronger, a little less sluggish."

What other advice do I have?

Go see a NetApp presentation or get a referral to a reseller for consultation. That would probably be the best way, because they can speak to the whole line of products. We're only familiar with some of their product line but they would be able to do a good job of showing all the products that NetApp has to offer. In terms of NVMe over Fabrics, that's something we're going to see a lot of in the future. It's going to change storage. From now on, it's not going to be the same. When it comes to speed, compared to other Fiber Channel gear, there's nothing that compares, it's pretty amazingly…
      Mark Ramdas
      Storage Engineer at Bank of NY
      We save a lot because of the deduplication and compression

What is our primary use case?

We use it for cloud. We have a big VMware environment with CIFS, NFS, and other applications. Most of the data is on NetApp.

• "It has the ability to bring up disaster recovery quickly."
      • "The toughest thing that we have right now is a cabling issue. There are so many that you need to connect."
      • "I would like to see more S3 integration with other vendors, objects, or instruments."

What other advice do I have?

NetApp does NAS well and better than other vendors.
      Adam Sando
      Enterprise Solutions Specialist at Lenovo (United States)
      We are able to spin up copies of data in other data centers on other storage appliances

What is our primary use case?

We use ONTAP for systems management, running and managing storage appliances. ONTAP, for us, is underpinning all the software that sits on top of our hardware. We manufacture the infrastructure side of NetApp appliances. We use the capabilities of ONTAP for our customers. It's a case of implementation of that software and using that software to manage the storage arrays we're putting into our clients' environments. We also use it for PoCs. We'll deploy the software and demonstrate it for customers.

• "Efficiencies such as Flash Cache and Flash Pool allow us to make better use of slower, cheaper storage and have some faster storage sitting up front taking a lot of the caching and the reading. The way that has been optimized for the NetApp platform is better than the competitors. It has reduced our cost of storage because we're buying cheaper storage for the bulk capacity, which is really effective."
      • "The ability to spin up copies of data in other data centers, on other storage appliances, is the most valuable for us."
      • "I would like to see more in the public cloud space around things like object storage. A bit more granularity around how that gets deployed would be nice, but other than that I think they've got it nailed."

What other advice do I have?

Do your research. Undestand what NetApp can offer. Talk to local NetApp resources and you'll find out a lot. One of the challenges a lot of customers have is that they don't know what they don't know. The more you talk to people, the more you will understand. I would advise talking to the local resources first, see what they've got. They probably have a solution, as far as ONTAP is concerned, that would fit into your requirements, the outcomes you're looking for. I sat in on a session about NVMe over Fabrics this morning here at NetApp Insight 2018. Reducing the latency, getting storage to the…
      it_user750540
      Admin at Centene
      ONTAP OS is super easy to use; failover works well

What other advice do I have?

We use it for datastores, and do a little bit of SAN on it too. We use it for both, block and file storage. My impression of NetApp as avendor of high performance SAN storage is that it's not as good as EMC. I don't have any complaints, really. I primarily use NetApp. I only use the EMCs a little bit. I am more likely to consider NetApp for mission critical storage systems based on my experience with AFF. The failover seems to work pretty well, they seem to be pretty reliable. If you have a lot of clusters, a cluster that's broke out, it works pretty well. If it fails or crashes, you still…
      Product Categories