Veritas NetBackup Appliance OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veritas NetBackup Appliance is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Deduplication Software. It is most often compared to Dell EMC Data Domain Boost: Veritas NetBackup Appliance vs Dell EMC Data Domain Boost

What is Veritas NetBackup Appliance?
The NetBackup Appliances feature the entire NetBackup Platform suite on performance a single turnkey solution for backup, storage, and deduplication. Deploying an appliance when refreshing media servers, consolidating point products, protecting remote offices, or modernizing protection in the data center reduces operating expenses and integration complexity.

Veritas NetBackup Appliance is also known as NetBackup Appliance.

Veritas NetBackup Appliance Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas NetBackup Appliance Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

Veritas NetBackup Appliance Customers
Beta Offshore
Veritas NetBackup Appliance Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

IT Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good backup coverage, but the licensing is complex and it needs to better integrate with other solutions

What is our primary use case?

Over the past seven years, we have been using this backup solution. However, over the past year, we have begun to integrate Commvault, and have stopped worrying about upgrades for Veritas. We are using an on-premises deployment and it has been used for our data center. We have various operating systems including Solaris, Windows, and Linux. Our databases include Oracle, MySQL, MongoDB, and Informix. We also have virtualization. This solution is responsible for everything in the data center.

• "We have good data backup coverage."
  • "This solution has to have better integration with the cloud, as well as with other solutions such as Business Intelligence products."

What other advice do I have?

This is a really good technology, but they are missing some key, important features. The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that there is always something that can be improved. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
AS
Associate at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fast backup and restore, resilient and easy to manage

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to manage the backup of our very large infrastructure. We have five thousand servers on virtual machines used for several applications such as Oracle database, SAP, SharePoint, and other enterprise software. Our experience is in the manufacturing industry. The workload includes lifecycle management, manufacture execution, and software to support the manufacturing processes.

• "The most valuable feature is that the backup and restoring process is very fast."
  • "We had some problems with the backup of the physical server."

What other advice do I have?

This is an available and reliable solution, which is very good to set up for enterprise systems. We had some issues with the management of delivery where we were only provided with a technician to implement the solution, which delayed the planning of installation. However, the technician was highly qualified. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup Appliance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Storage Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A very stable product with easy integration

• "Compared to a homemade installation, this appliance is very stable."
  • "The scalability isn't great. Every time you want to add storage, you can't just add a little bit, you need to add a lot."

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premises deployment model. I would recommend others to consider the solution if they're using a lot of workloads. It's a really good product. However, if you have only a small workload, it's a huge fixture for nothing. I would rate this solution eight out of ten.
MH
Network Administrator at KING FAHD MILITARY MEDICAL COMPLEX
Backs up all of our servers and our in-house programs

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premises model of this solution. Our primary use case of this solution is to get backups for all of our servers and backup for our in-house programs.

What needs improvement?

The recovery backup has been problematic.  They need to make the licensing more clear. They should give all of the licensing details for the portals and be more clear. I have accidentally purchased the incorrect license because it's not clear.

I have been using Veritas for the last eight years.

Stability is good. We haven't had any issues when restoring backups. If you do a regular backup I would give the process a nine out of ten. But for the recovery side of this…
JG
Chief Scientist at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A good DR solution for my on-premises and public-cloud customers

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant that provides DR backup solutions for cloud-based and hybrid environments. I assist my clients with choosing solutions, and this is one of the solutions that I recommend. My experience with this solution is in both on-premises and public-cloud environments.

• "They are a large company with good best practices, and they give good support."
  • "I would like to see a product that requires less expertise to manage it."

What other advice do I have?

I like Veritas. They are a large company with good best practices, and they give good support. They can invest in knowledge-intensive features to make their solution more user-friendly. They need to work more on their R&D, be more innovative, and take more risks in providing solutions for the hybrid cloud and for migrations. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
VP
Backup and Database Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Reduces the workload and therefore reduces resources needed from the company

• "The intelligent policies feature is used in order to protect the VMware infrastructure. One of the things that makes a big difference for our company is the usage of these intelligence policies. The system automatically provides extra protection for any VMware server application or service. From a backup administrator's point of view, this is what we call peace of mind. It reduces the workload and therefore reduces resources needed from the company."
  • "The only drawback for NetBackup, and of course for Veritas, is that they have stuck to the same environment and to the same UI - User Interface. This needs to be improved in future releases. It needs to be more dynamic."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. We've been very happy with this solution. The correlation of NetBackup with a Veritas solution, which gave us the opportunity to dynamically capture the protected data in the two different styles, was helpful. Another Veritas webpage solution works perfectly with NetBackup and gives us a dynamic picture of protected data. One other improvement we've seen since implementation, from a business' point of view, is that the usage of the new popular technology of Veritas, like the access storage, where the initial configuration is 700 terabytes, gives us long…
JR
Director of the Enterprise Department at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A flexible solution that performs well in hybrid and mixed environments

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we assist our customers with products from many vendors. This is a solution that we have provided to several customers who are currently using it. All of our customers use an on-premises deployment model in a variety of environments made up of both Windows and Linux machines.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is that it can be used in many different kinds of systems."
  • "Technical support for this solution needs to be improved."

AK
IT Team Leader at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Helps reduce hardware costs and offers good performance

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a media server and for storing data.

• "If you use the NetBackup Appliance you do not need to have separate media servers and hardware. You can configure the same storage as a media server and master server as well as a storage port. This helps to reduce the hardware costs of the media server."
  • "With technical support, it feels like they aren't well trained and it takes forever to get answers out of them."

What other advice do I have?

If you are using NetBackup software on the same appliance you can expect good performance. In terms of the solution, you may need to log cases with different vendors if you have a different storage solution. However, if you have the NetBackup appliance and it doesn't need backup software you can create logs with the same technical support. It makes it easy for coordination. You can eliminate redundancies if you have a single vendor. I would rate this solution eight out of ten.
RezaMoaveni
CEO at BhPart
A speedy backup solution for physical and virtual servers

What is our primary use case?

This solution is for backup and recovery in physical and virtual environments, in data centers or server rooms. We are a solution provider company, and I recommend this product for clients and projects with these needs. The majority of our deployments are either on-premise or private cloud.

• "Installing this solution is very simple and takes perhaps five or ten minutes."
  • "I would like the ability to recover a single folder within the backup of a virtual machine."

MA
System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution that provides simplicity, with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

High available Backup Solution for about 200 Unix Servers (Linux, AIX, SunOS)

• "The solution is very scalable."
  • "They could simplify the process of installing, and provide more space for data during the process."

What other advice do I have?

We use a local high-available backup server version of the solution. With this solution, we've had perfect support and our use cases were perfectly served. I would rate this solution nine out of ten.
Download our free Veritas NetBackup Appliance Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.