3scale API Management Review

Good gateway and security features, but the developer portal needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

This is a container platform with a developer portal.

How has it helped my organization?

3scale API Managment provides a platform facilitating Trusted Service Providers communicating with the service provider securely and efficiently. Greatly enhance direct business transactions and application to application communications

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the gateway and security features.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful to improve the customization features so that the customer can do it based on their own needs.

Some of the portal features are in need of improvement. The API onboarding process is quite primitive. It may not fit for an enterprise who is trying to manage their API users and the approval process. The development portal needs to better address this functionality.

API management functionality should be improved so that the partner can better group it, and use it.

We have been using 3scale API Management for one year.

As we are new to this product, I'm not sure about stability. At this stage, it has been okay. We have not experienced any serious issues or crashes.

We have done some scalability and performance testing in our office, and it has been pretty good. We have eight people in the company who are working with it.

The majority of our customers are large companies and I would say that this solution is more enterprise-driven. The entry point and required skill set are quite high.

We have been in contact with technical support and so far they have been good. With the cases we have logged, they have given us responses quickly.

I have used similar solutions and I find that 3scale is more technical-driven. It uses great technologies and it is still easy for us to customize ourselves.

In terms of API management features, I think that it is less rich than the other major competitors. The way they manage the API is different, which is something that they can improve.

The initial setup is complex at the beginning because there are a lot of steps that we have to follow. Two to three people are needed for deployment and maintenance, at least.

It takes approximately six months to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I like, and have a lot of interest in learning. It is one that I recommend to our clients.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.