Aerohive Networks Review

Built in mapping ability, built in survey ability, Client Classification Policy (to be able to move clients to the appropriate VLAN), and PPSK are the most valuable features.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us the ability to make guest connections to our wireless network easier. We don't have to worry about issues with getting 802.1x authentication set up, which can be tricky depending on Cert chains, virus scanners, and 3rd party hardware software that controls the wireless settings. Also give our residents the ability to have a better gaming experience with their gaming consoles, the Client Classification Policies let us move their gaming console to a less restrictive VLAN so they can make connections to do online gaming better.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if they could get better from separating an XBOX One console from a regular windows machine.

I think their bandwidth steering could use some tweaking, in a high density deployment with a lot of 2.4Ghz only clients it causes problems and we had to turn it off in those areas.

Maybe give the ability to turn off the newest HiveOS for the devices. When you go to push out a complete config to the wireless APs you have to be carful and uncheck the box to push out the latest OS. It would be easy to do on accident if you were in a hurry and were not paying close enough attention

9 Months

No, once the local Hive Manager VM was set up it was pretty simple to get the APs going. If you haven't ever had experience with an enterprise wireless system though, you would defiantly want training first.

Just some problems with bandwidth steering and 2.4Ghz only clients being able to connect regularly.

Yes we used Extreme/Enterasys. They were starting to charge to much for their product, also some of the features that are included out of the box with Aerohive cost big $$$ with Extreme.