Aerohive Networks Review

​HiveManager is useful for managing APs and switches from one cloud interface.

What is our primary use case?

30,000 sq ft manufacturing and admin facility, three stories with three distinct networks- production, guest, and barcode scanners so voice/data, guest, and IoT.

How has it helped my organization?

• Reliable WiFi across each floor.
  • Segmented networks.
  • VLANs for security.
  • Much better environment for our users.
  • We have been able to physically and virtually separate IoT, voice, and data.

What is most valuable?

• HiveManager is incredibly useful for managing APs and switches from one cloud interface.
  • It is simple to onboard new devices, and update policies across all devices.
  • Great dashboard: visibility into status and use is crystal clear; easy to navigate.
  • Support has been great as well.

What needs improvement?

Need port aggregation on the 2384 switches to take full advantage of ac on the APs. I understand that is on their product road map.

The Aerohive access points have dual 1GB Ethernet ports for aggregation, which enables full 2.6Gbps data. Right now our partner through Aerohive support is telling us that the Aerohive switches currently don’t support port aggregation so we only are using one Ethernet port at the AP’s.

At this point in time, it’s not an issue, and have been told that port aggregation will be available on the Aerohive switches. That’s important to me- as the demands on our network grow we will need to get the full bandwidth out of the Aerohive AP’s.

When I researched the purchase the benefit of managing the switches and AP’s in one interface, and the ability to single source network infrastructure, including installation and management, outweighed the decreased data rate. So, I’m looking forward to this being available soon. That’s the best information I have on this at this time, hope it helps.

None, zero. It runs like the proverbial top. No stability issues, whatsoever. We have good, clean power to the switches and as it is a new building, our infrastructure is brand-new. Update in October of 2018- still completely satisfied with Aerohive switches and AP's. Performance has been perfect, I appreciate the updates and enhancements to the HiveManager and am in that almost every day for the reporting. I truly appreciate working with a company that takes innovation seriously and continuously improves the UI and UX. I would definitely buy again.

We have not encountered any scalability issues; nice to add devices with just a serial number and have them pick up the entire policy. HiveManager works well for monitoring, maintenance, and scaling.

Customer service is excellent. From RFQ through deployment and hand off to support, we have been completely supported by sales, engineering, and technical staff.

Technical support is outstanding: responsive, fast phone pickup, helpful, survey every time, been great. They have been right, and right there, when I call. Now that we're past implementation and stable I haven't had to call- product is great.

Update in May of 2018- we have another year of solid Aerohive performance and remain a completely satisfied customer. We invested in a survey to update our power and channel output as the building environment changed- new industrial equipment, and focus on coverage areas as people changed- and made only minor adjustments. System continues to perform as expected, and Aerohive support remains solid.

Have used Netgear, Cisco, and others. I saw the APs demonstrated and HiveManager, and went with them for the quality of the product and the ability to manage everything from one cloud-based interface.

Initial setup was fairly complex as we had several VLANs with different security and operational requirements. We also had a 10GB aggregation to our SonicWALL and everything went great.

It was implemented by both an in-house team and a vendor team. The vendor team was on-time, thorough, on-budget, knowledgeable, responsive, and thoroughly professional. We got some help from Aerohive support as well.

• Solid WiFi
  • Ease of management
  • Ability to upgrade the whole system and stay on top of the network.

A big ROI for us is managing the segments to keep voice and data physically and virtually separate, along with the ongoing expansion of IoT devices. Update October 2018- we have added some IoT networks and managing them through the HiveManager has been simple and secure and keeps IoT and our data network separate.

Value is there. There are probably cheaper solutions but we invest for stability and performance for the longer haul. Features and support are a big part of our purchase decisions.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated Extreme Networks for the switches; excellent but would have required additional management and expertise. I looked again at Netgear but went with Aerohive for the reasons I've mentioned, and HiveManager.

What other advice do I have?

I believe Aerohive is committed to being a leader in this space and that their APs for the enterprise campus are the best available. I would like to see port aggregation on the switches but have been told that's on the roadmap, and that's acceptable at this time. HiveManager make the whole process of configuration and management of the network so much easier. I'm a fan.