Altaro VM Backup Review

It could be improved by including support for REFS files system, however, DR time has been massively reduced.

What is most valuable?

• Item level restore
  • Offsite copies

How has it helped my organization?

It provides much faster restoration of VMs.

What needs improvement?

It could be improved by including support for REFS files system and restoring brick level items directly into Exchange as opposed to a PST file.

We've used it since it was first released so it's been a few years.

No issues encountered.

Sometime there are stability issues with older kit, for example, it can take a long time to compress the primary backup.

No issues encountered.

8/10.

8/10.

We used Symantec Backup Exec but it wasn't up to the job for virtual servers so we switched.

It's straightforward as you just run a small download and the program is really to go.

We're an Altaro reseller so we buy it in-house and then deploy it for our customers.

• High as the product is considerably cheaper than the time it would take to restore servers an old fashion way
  • DR time has been massively reduced.

We use VMWare in-house, but the setup cost is our price plus around an hour to configure it, depending on how many off-site host locations there are.

No other options evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

• Make sure you have the relevant expansion/space for growing VMS and VSS
  • If there is not enough free disk space for VSS to run you will get crash consistent state backups
  • Enable shadow copy (previous versions) restore on files servers if using REFS files system as its not supported

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an Elite Reseller & we have half a dozen certified Altaro Engineers (including myself)
More Altaro VM Backup reviews from users