Altaro VM Backup Review

Granular Restore enables us to recover accidentally deleted files and emails

What is our primary use case?

We use Altaro to back up nine VMs across two hosts.

How has it helped my organization?

Since moving to Altaro, we feel that backing up and restoring files has become much more efficient in our organization.

Having done disaster recovery plans with Altaro, we feel confident that our organization will be able to get back up and running in half the time, compared to our previous solution.

What is most valuable?

We frequently use the Granular Restore option for when our users accidentally delete files or to recover emails from mailboxes. We have found that to be a must-have feature and it comes with the solution at no extra cost.

We use the latest feature in Altaro called CDP (Continuous Data Protection) to back up our VMs as often as every five minutes. It allows us to make sure no data is accidentally deleted or overwritten.

The ability to test the backups, without having to manually mount the VHDs after restore, allows us to check the integrity of the backups. This is crucial for us.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to see a feature that backs up the host so that, in case of a server failure, an entire server could be restored all at once.