Altaro VM Backup Review

Easy to use with a helpful dashboard, good support, and the deduplication feature saves heavily on storage space

What is our primary use case?

We backup Hyper-V VMs from two hosts with Altaro VM backup. It could not be any easier to back up a VM server than it is with Altaro VM Backup. It is pretty much set it and forget it.

We do, of course, monitor our backups, and Altaro makes this very easy as well by using the monitoring software on our office computer. It connects to the software installed on the VM host, lets us know what is going on, and whether there have been any problems with backups or storage, etc. This is a very awesome backup software! Period!

How has it helped my organization?

Before we installed Altaro, we had constant problems with our backups. We were using an older platform and needed a change badly. Since we moved to Altaro VM backup, we have not had any issues with our backups. Everything just works.

All our backups can now be stored in more than one location, due to the ease that Altaro provides in setting up offsite backup storage. You can also add other types of storage if you need them.

I find that the Altaro backup software is just about as easy as it gets to protect your VMs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the dashboard, which shows everything you need to see at a quick glance. It doesn't stop there; it goes into detail on the status of your storage devices and how much space you have available, along with how much you have saved with deduplication.

Deduplication is another great feature that saves so much space on your backup storage that it is sometimes hard to believe.

The backup graphs are awesome also, helping you see your information at a glance.

The CDP backup feature is very nice, as it allows you to take backups at high frequencies and with application consistency.

What needs improvement?

To improve Altaro, I would like to see the ability to choose more than one backup location at a time. Make it possible to backup to a NAS, while at the same time or even a different scheduled time, back up to either a different NAS, or a cloud service, or a local drive. Right now you can add multiple backup locations, but you can only have the VM backup to just one of them. I would like to see this change to allow the VM to backup to all the locations either at the same time, or at different times.

We have been using Altaro VM Backup for five years.

We have never had an issue when Altaro stopped working due to the backup software. It has always been great and just keeps going. It is a very stable solution.

It is very easy to keep adding as many server hosts as you need, no problems at all.

Oh wow! Altaro's support and service are top-notch. They are always available and ready to help. We have had to call on them a few times with some detailed questions and never had a problem. Furthermore, we always got a very quick response.

We did use a different solution, and it was getting old and outdated. We knew that we needed to find something much better.

This was one of the most straightforward backup solutions I have experienced. It was literally: install it, configure it, and let it run.

We purchased it through a Vender, and they were very helpful in getting us answers. They also gave us a good price for the product.

When we first installed Altaro's solution, our ROI was only about two to three months, at most. That can vary for different companies, but it was spot on for us.

Altaro had the best prices and ROI in the whole bunch that we evaluated. After testing it, we found that we lost no features or additions that the others offered.

We looked at several different solutions in the industry, and some other ones work very well. One of the biggest things that made the difference at that point was the cost. Altaro was a huge discount compared to the next solution we were looking at, so much we wondered, what could be the catch.

Once we downloaded the trial version and used it, we were hooked. Nothing was missing, and we got it all for a much better deal.

The other solutions that we evaluated were Carbonite, Veeam, Acronis, and Symantec.

What other advice do I have?

If you have VMs to backup, Altaro is the BEST solution for us and many others alike. I would suggest that you do your homework because everybody's needs are different, and make sure that you test Altaro. You may not need to waste any more time on anything else because it just works!

Hybrid Cloud