Amazon Kendra Review

Tunes the relevance and ranking of results which improves accuracy; price is very high

What is our primary use case?

This solution helps in the search for relevant documents. Similar to Google Search on public information, Kendra can help you do the search in your enterprise document repository. If you have a set of documents in your organization, and you want to perform a search and find documents that correspond to your query, then Kendra can provide the top results or a summary from the document content based on your query. We are service integrators and provide consulting services for different enterprise organizations in US.

What is most valuable?

Until recently, there wasn't an out-of-the-box service in the market for enterprise documents like Kendra. It also provides flexibility to tune the relevance and ranking of results, so that iteratively it can improve the accuracy of results.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, cost is high on the list because this is a very expensive product. The solution could also be improved if the time for indexing documents could be reduced and it could be made incremental in nature where you don't need to reindex every document whenever new documents get added to the repository. It would be helpful if the process could be simplified, it's a pain point from the user perspective.

I've been using this solution for about four months.

This is a stable solution.

This is a very scalable solution and we'll continue to recommend it to our customers.

The initial setup is quite straightforward, but from the end user's experience it could be simplified, so that any power user can also go ahead and start using it. Indexing the documents is the time consuming aspect of deployment and it's generally where people struggle. It can take up to two or three hours depending on the size of the document repository. We implement ourselves, it doesn't require any specialization for installation, because these things can be done on Amazon Console.

This is a pay per use solution. The calculation depends heavily on the number of documents, and the time we spend using that index.

What other advice do I have?

This is a really, really expensive solution making the adoption of it very difficult at the enterprise level.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10, mainly due to the high cost.

Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Microsoft, Apache and others in Search as a Service. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.