Aternity Review

Low licensing cost, helpful in finding problems, and provides infrastructure data in seconds, but needs more features and better UI, support, and stability

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped to identify several problems and performance bottlenecks in different applications through the code-level instrumentation and its features, and sometimes also through the detailed infrastructure metrics in one-second granularity, including memory, heap, and GC statistics.

What is most valuable?

This is a review of Aternity APM (formerly "AppInternals") on-premises version 10.21 only.

The infrastructure metrics, especially the CPU and memory data etc., are available in per second granularity, and this for quite a long time, which makes it outstanding as compared to other solutions. Its licensing cost is very low for us. For the use of the agent in infrastructure mode only (without code-level instrumentation), no licence is consumed. A license is only consumed when code-level instrumentation data is harvested, or downloaded from the agent to the Aternity APM server.

The code-level instrumentation has been quite helpfull in many cases, including the ability to record and analyse database SQL requests with bind values, and exceptions.

What needs improvement?

Its user interface and features should be improved. They don't support new versions of certain Linux editions. That is one of the reasons why we have to move to another solution.

In terms of a new feature, it would be good if we could restrict a user to a specific application or server. We have several customers, and we have to set up one or two servers for each customer. We have to set up one server for production and one for the test environment. Each user at the customer level can see all applications and the data of all applications, which is not really useful and good. We should be able to restrict user access at the application level or server level.

Their technical support should be improved in terms of response time. Its stability should also be better. We are currently using version 10, and its stability is not so high. The server crashes from time to time and needs to be restarted. Sometimes, you also have problems with applications.

Version 11 only allows for one AD/LDAP server to be connected to. Version 10 can connect to several LDAP servers, a feature we need; that's why we did not upgrade to version 11.

The on-premises version lacks some features compared to the SaaS cloud solution of Aternity APM.

I have been working with this solution for two and a half years.

Its stability is not so high currently. We are still using version 10. We have not switched to version 11. The server crashes from time to time and needs to be restarted. Sometimes, you also have problems with applications. Once they are instrumented, they have to be fine-tuned because of the problems.

We are not satisfied with their technical support. If there is a problem, you have to wait for several days to get a response.

Its initial setup is relatively complex.

Its licensing cost is very low. That's one of the reasons why we have kept it for so long. We get more than a 70% discount on the maintenance licenses. Its cost is very low for us, but if you buy it new, it would be much more expensive at the retail price.

We are currently evaluating Dynatrace, which has a lot more possibilities. It has a better user interface and fewer errors or problems with instrumentation features.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Aternity APM a five out of ten. We are not very happy with it, and we are considering a new solution.

10.21
More Aternity reviews from users
...who compared it with Nexthink
Learn what your peers think about Aternity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.