Azure Stack Review

Improves security, as we are able to create private virtual networks with their own rules and policies

What is our primary use case?

I use a lot of services in Azure.  I have worked with completely isolated environments, building infrastructure from scratch using Terraform, Chef, Puppet, and other such tools.

What is most valuable?

The Platform as a Service (Paas) environment is the most valuable feature.

The Web App service is very valuable.

It is helpful from a security point of view because we can create our own isolated, private environments that contain virtual networks, and we can put security rules in place. We can also specify application rules, which is something that is also useful.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of services in Azure that are not stable.

Azure Messaging services are in need of improvement.

I would like to see better monitoring capability, as we have in Dynatrace and other APM tools. The functionality is there, but it is not as detailed as it is in other tools.

I have about three years of experience with Azure, on and off.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Azure Stack is to start looking into DevOps early. There are a lot of things that can be done using the portal, and people tend to follow this process because it is easy. It's true that this approach may get things done fast, but it will only get you so far. Working with the DevOps capabilities, such as automation with Terraform, should be done sooner rather than later.

Every cloud has its pros and cons.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
More Azure Stack reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with AWS Outposts
Learn what your peers think about Azure Stack. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.