Bamboo Review

The new Salesforce plugin looked interesting despite the fact you had limited control on how the SF package is deployed.

What is most valuable?

The deployment mechanism was neat, and I liked how it allowed you deploy the same release to multiple environments. I also thought the ability to branch build and deployment jobs without needing to use templates or updating job configuration could be useful. Plus the new Salesforce plugin looked interesting despite the fact you had limited control on how the SF package is deployed.

What needs improvement?

• Logging, no integration with Octopus
  • Build time variables did not have ability to select from a list of value
  • No ability to customize Build version
  • TFS plugin had no local workspace editing of checked out files, as all files coming from TFS have read-only attribute turned on by design
  • No history view column adjustment
  • Password variable values were not concealed within GruntJS logs
  • Watching build log GUI loses focus at build completion making debugging difficult
  • Mediocre .Net Code Coverage support and reporting.

These observations were part of a multi-department, one month evaluation where we decided to go with a different product in the end.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

We were using TFS for build automation. TFS proved to administrative to maintain and customize build templates. Plus we were planning to move to Git and found Git's interface within TFS/Visual Studio lacking in comparison to other Git clients.

It was straightforward, although, Bamboo initially creates its main install folder in the home directory of the current user. Even though Bamboo has a 'bamboo.home', Bamboo organizes its different library/build-time/resource component folders separately in the configuration and modifying those proved intensive in comparison to TeamCity and Jenkins where there's is only one 'Home' folder.

In-house.

We evaluated TeamCity and Octopus.

What other advice do I have?

While the community may grow over time, please ensure your current/future processes are not hindered by Bamboo's faults. Bamboo is likely to improve with time, it may be advisable to use a different solution until the product grows a bit more mature.