Bamboo Review

Bamboo easily integrates into an Atlassian stack.

Valuable Features

Ability to interface easily with other Atlassian applications.

Improvements to My Organization

It allows a controlled process in which to build software.

Room for Improvement

Version control for plans is currently not really possible. This is pretty much the deal breaker for me and why I'm moving away from Bamboo.

The Upgrade process is also clumsy and requires manual steps. I'm not a fan of tarballs.

Use of Solution

3 years.

You may need to upgrade in steps if you are upgrading a relatively old version.

At one time we used to have issues with system stability. You may need to tinker with your systems heap settings.

You are limited by the number of agents you are willing to buy. This means all your teams end up building on the same agents or worse, the master itself.

This is the second deal breaker for me and why I'm currently advocating to move to a different build system.

Atlassian support is usually pretty good in my experience.

They need to work on their upgrade paths and deployments. If you fall to a few versions behind you may end up doing a multi-version installation. Not fun.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The license is the worst. It costs the most. In addition to that we run it on a very beefy server (HP DL360 G8 with 24G of ram). I would not run this software on subpar hardware.

Other Advice

Pros:

- Integrates well with Atlassian products

- Nice Modern Interface

Cons:

- Agents are limited by the license

- No method to provide version control for Build Plans

- It's expensive

- Most plugins cost $$$

Personally I'm in the process of moving away from Bamboo. Sure it looks nice, but I need flexibility. If you plan on creating a build server for each of your teams or projects, don't use Bamboo and use Jenkins instead. It has a richer plugin base, no limit on agents, and allows version control of plans and configuration easily. It's also open source software so the cost is much lower. Maintaining Bamboo is also a chore, not so with Jenkins which is distributed as a RPM, DEB, and now Docker container. Bamboo I'm still stuck downloading a tarball.

1 visitor found this review helpful