Birst Review

Dashboard scheduling is valuable. Frequent timeouts should be resolved.

What is most valuable?

This tool possesses valuable features such as its ability to perform ETL, extract data from various sources (flat files, relational DBs, application connectors) and dashboard scheduling.

How has it helped my organization?

Unfortunately for us, we are looking for better options other than Birst as it is not so user friendly.

What needs improvement?

Birst needs to improve various features, namely:

• Application connectors as existing ones aren’t quite reliable.
  • Resolve issues of frequent timeouts.
  • Provide a friendlier UI.
  • The BQL (Birst Query Language), which is used for applying filters in dashboards, conditional formatting, custom calculations, etc., needs a more constructive syntax.
  • The error messages displayed need more useful information about resolving issues.
  • Build an external forum/community for online help. The in-built Birst community is relevant only for simple tasks.
  • Provide concepts for Dev, QA and Production environments.

I have used this tool for about a year and half.

Owing to the above reasons, we could not make use of the Birst tool productively. Hence, we will not be able to make a fair comment. In addition, this tool does not allow frequent updates.

Personally, I have not interacted with their support team but when my colleagues did they received an average response.

Initially, we have used Tableau, SSAS, BO. At first, we were quite impressed with Birst’s capabilities. Now we understand that it is still a maturing tool.

Recently we have evaluated Looker, Sisense & Qlikview. Tableau seems to be the best amongst the lot. Sisense would follow thereafter.

What other advice do I have?

There is no doubt that Birst possesses great abilities. However, it becomes too time consuming to understand and implement this product. It is important to decide the main criteria for selecting this tool whether just as a dashboard function or to provide start to end solutions from ETL to visualization. This product requires users to come out of their comfort zone and explore it.