Creates formulas, custom calculations, and ETL jobs. We do not use it anymore as it did not meet our needs.
What is most valuable?
- Good drag and drop dashboard widgets
- Ability to create formulas and custom calculations
- Ability to create ETL jobs for simple data warehouse creation
- Automates the creation of the star schema
- Automatically creates facts and dimensions based on data types
How has it helped my organization?
We actually do not use it anymore as it did not meet our needs.
What needs improvement?
- The query generation is inefficient and cannot be tweaked. You have to live with whatever queries are generated by the system.
- The ETL process creates enormous temp files: Disk space can be an issue with big data sets.
- Troubleshooting is problematic: The system is a black box. Once a trouble spot is identified, there is very little ability to change the issue.
For how long have I used the solution?
I have used the solution for close to two years.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
We encountered a stability issue as this solution did not scale in our environment. It was not performing in our OEM environment with the size of our database.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
The ETL, querying, and user interface did not accommodate our performance requirements.
How is customer service and technical support?
Technical support was good. They just couldn't address the performance issues.
How was the initial setup?
The initial setup was easy. It is just a virtual appliance.
We had a complex setup that involved OEM and integration which was painful.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
We evaluated some other options.
What other advice do I have?
Birst is a great tool for:
- Creating a simple data warehouse
- Uploading data for quick analysis, visualizations, and dashboards
It is not a great tool to integrate into an enterprise level application.