Birst Review

The dashboards and Visualizer are valuable.

What is most valuable?

The dashboards and Visualizer are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

Birst has made it easier for us to provide embedded data visualization tools to our customers.

What needs improvement?

The administration module was built using flash. It is clunky and outdated. By “clunky” I mean that it sometimes becomes confused and throw an error when I’m making a change. To clear it up, I will have to log out and log back in. We knew going into our purchase that the UI for the admin was not the strongest part of Birst at the moment. Power users often depend on the web services to complete admin tasks and the web services are robust.

Birst knows they need to improve this area of their system and have been working on that. They began improving usability overall with the the front-end UI that report writers utilize and did an excellent job with that so I have good reason to expect the admin module UI refresh to be solid as well. From what I understand, the planned changes are more significant than a simple UI refresh also.

I have used it for six months.

We have not encountered any deployment issues. Implementation can be tricky, but they have services to help with that.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We use Birst cloud and so far have not seen any scalability issues.

Support is good. We have an assigned CSM who helps us track down help quickly.

Technical support is solid. Things are documented well, also.

We previously used a different solution. The solution we used was outdated and when we decided to upgrade, we shopped around to find the best solution available for our needs.

The basic setup can be straightforward, but Birst is powerful and with power comes complexity. The front-end report designing with Visualizer and the dashboard tool are easy to use. The admin tool is simple also, but has many options.

An in-house team implemented it.

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated Tableau, MS Power BI, and Sisense.