BMC TrueSight Network Automation Review

What is our primary use case?

We use it to back up some things on our network devices and we use it to make sure that things comply with our standards.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to make sure, for instance, that all of our telnet, FTP, and SSH are sourced from a certain IP address which is part of our standards and part of best practices. It helps us makes sure that we comply with that. Before using Network Automation, there was no real way of doing compliance other than going into the devices and looking at their configurations manually. It's helped us save time.

What is most valuable?

We use it to back up configurations so the configuration management is valuable for us.

Another valuable feature is the ability to verify that the devices comply with our standards. Compliance is important because we want all of our devices to have the same, consistent configuration.

The reporting is also good. We run reports monthly to see what devices are compliant with our standards and we use the reports to correct deficiencies.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to be able to get more devices into compliance with standards, but that means running additional rule sets and that takes time.

I've been using this solution for eight or nine years.

It's been rock solid. I haven't had any problems with it.

We have a couple of thousand devices on it and it's connected to all of them. We haven't had any issues with scalability. We have about 20 people using it across our organization and they're all involved in network operations.

I'm the only one in our organization who works on maintaining the solution. We don't have any plans to increase usage.

I have contacted technical support directly. I've had no issues with their support. They're pretty responsive.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup but I upgraded from 8.7 to 8.9. It was a smooth process. It took a couple of weeks and there was no downtime. We just set up totally new servers. We tested the new servers and we cut over on a certain date.

The upgrade was done in-house. In addition to me, the guy who is responsible for the servers in our organization was involved.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone who is looking into using it is that they need to be pretty familiar with regular expressions. That's what's used to write the rules. In terms of configuration, it can be a complicated platform. The learning curve will vary by individual.