CA 1 Tape Management Review

Interfaces with our virtual tapes; now we can read tapes automatically, no mounting

What is our primary use case?

It's for archiving our files and databases. It's for managing our sites. We're using a virtual mainframe library, and we interface it with this product.

How has it helped my organization?

It has become easy to backup and archive all our system data and financial data. It helps us mainly in managing the backup of our databases, and it is easy to retrieve that data and find it in a secure place. It has become easy to locate the data and to secure it.

Before we started using CA 1, we used manual tape management. It's a big machine. We would insert the tape manually. After we bought a virtual library, we were able to interface it with this product. It's pretty difficult to configure the interfaces and CA 1. But when it is done, it's very stable, since we don't touch it again. Now that we interface it with this virtual tape, it has become automatic. The tapes are mounted automatically. You can read a tape automatically without waiting for someone to insert it. That has helped us a lot.

The manual management of the tape was harder for us because we have a lot of tapes. With the product, it all becomes automatic: locating the data, backing up the data, restoring the data. We can automate all that with the product.

What is most valuable?

Mainly, we use the product to manage the tapes. It's so stable that we only use the graphical interface of the virtual tapes. Sometimes we use it to review some files to see the status of our archives. Mainly, we use it for backup and restoring our data.

What needs improvement?

When we want to interface the CA 1 product with other vendors, IBM  or others, it is difficult to interface it with them, because you need some exits, you need to compile some assemblers. It is difficult to interface it with different vendors other than CA technologies.

Three to five years.

The stability is 10 out of 10.

Scalability is eight out of 10.

Tech support is a 10 out of 10.

The first solution that we had was CA Dynam/T. It was on z/VSE. When we switched to z/OS, the only choice that we had with CA technology was CA 1.

It was simple.

I don't have any idea about pricing, my manager takes care of it.

We looked at IBM RMM, but we didn't choose it.

What other advice do I have?

It's very stable. From the day we started using the product, we haven't needed to touch it. It works fine.